Remove Advertisements

Black Temple - High Warlord Naj'entus

Naj'entus, Supremus, Akama, Gorefiend, Gurtogg Bloodboil, RoS, Sharaz, Council, Illidan

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, fiend

Black Temple - High Warlord Naj'entus

Postby Lore » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:54 pm

Sorry guys, this is one of those fights where we're most likely best off being a hybrid and strapping on the healing gear.

High Warlord Naj'entus is a one-tank tank-and-spank with a whole ton of damage being thrown around the raid. Bosskillers strat here for the general info: http://www.bosskillers.com/cgi-bin/bbgu ... GeIQvewAiU

I wear healing gear for this fight. Solid and plentiful healing is what makes or breaks this fight, and adding more healing doesn't hurt in the slightest, so it makes the most sense to have a Warrior tank Naj while you toss out heals. The fight is pretty much the same from start to finish, just one phase. You've got 3 major abilities to watch out for.

Needle Spine
He basically spams this ability, he hits a few people with some needles for a couple thousand damage, and does some frost damage to anyone within 6 yards of them. The people he hits need to be topped off immediately, as there's plenty other ways to die...

Impaling Spine
50% of the fight is in this ability. He'll pick a random person in the raid (except the MT) and throw a giant spine at them that looks kind of like a stalactite. That person will be immobilized and start taking a bunch of DoT damage. The only way to stop it is to have someone nearby walk over and right-click on the spine (it's huge, really hard to miss). That will loot it into their inventory to be used later as I'll explain in a moment. Again, these people need to be topped off immediately.

Tidal Shield
This is the other 50% of the fight. Every 60 seconds he'll toss this up, making him immune to all damage and regenerating 1% of his hp ever 2 seconds. This needs to be brought down immediately by using an Impaling Spine on him. Once that is used, his shield will explode, dealing around 8.5k damage to everyone in the raid. That more or less means if anyone isn't topped off, they're going to die. It's important to note that he can still use his Impaling and Needle Spine abilities while the shield is up, so it should always be broken immediately as other people can be brought to low health before everyone is completely topped off. Try to have everyone in the raid over 10k hit points at the least to help survive this.

After the Tidal Shield is broken, he won't use his Needle Spine or Impaling Spine abilities for about 15 seconds, so use that time to top everyone off quickly.

It's pretty much rinse and repeat from there. Once you get the Tidal Shields figured out, the fight is pretty easy. Welcome to Black Temple, enjoy your loot =)
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Erlata » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:52 am

It says that i should heal in this fight but i don't have healing gear. Was using my nightfall on it last night but it seems the tank keeps dieing from crushing blows. So tonight i'm going to try and tank this boss it seems pretty easy really the Mt just has to hold agro and thats it.

Don't know why palas don't tank this boss any idea why we shouldn't?
Erlata

Postby Gerilith » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:09 am

No real reasons against it (so...the standard ones: 4.44% more MeleeDMG taken, no LastStand/ShieldWall etc.). But the protpala could potentially heal. And healing is much more important than damage.

And your MT should get a new job if he is getting crushing blows in that fight with no melees in front of the boss.
Standing alone with no direction
How did I fall so far behind?
Why Am I searching for perfection?
Knowing it's something I won't find
Gerilith

Postby Afraithe » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:45 am

There is nothing like having an enhancement shaman standing infront of the mob when the Warrior is tanking, BANG, dead!

Shaman: "Oops!"
Warrior: "YOUR FIRED!"
Afraithe

Postby Worldie » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:59 am

Well you can tank the boss without any problem.

However, depends mostly on the raid composition. If there's many melee, your other tanks are going to just stand around and bandage people, while you can help healing in a very healing intensive fight.

Basically the issue is not "why don't i tank", it's "what can other tanks do if i tank".

And if the MT is getting crushings on this fight and he's not a dr00d he seriously need a bunch of l2p since Najetus hits like a girl and is also quite slow...
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Rainge » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:16 pm

Difficulty-level of tanking Naj'entus caps at trying not to snore audibly over Ventrilo.

Even puny tank-gear Flash of Lights and picking up spines is more worthwhile than additional melee DPS.
Rainge

Postby Worldie » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:14 am

I've menaged to tank this guy for last week, wasn't needed actually but was on the "to be done" list.

I wanted to ask, anyone had threat problems on this boss? I was at my usual TPS, but there were some dps... ok, shadowpriests, who were dangerously behind me, and i mean at 95%+. I was seriously praying they died or got spines so they could stop.
Was me generating not enough TPS or that's just normal cause of the flying aoes?
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Jensaarai » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:22 am

spriests were probably getting a lot of threat because of the damage going around in that fight, VE was probably generating a lot more threat than normal.

/shrug what was your average tps?
Jensaarai - 85 Prot Paladin (Lost Isles - US)
Endüre - 85 Prot Warrior (Lost Isles - US)
Jensaarai

Postby Worldie » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:05 am

1000-1100ish usually, something like that

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Cakes » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:16 am

Worldie wrote:I've menaged to tank this guy for last week, wasn't needed actually but was on the "to be done" list.

I wanted to ask, anyone had threat problems on this boss? I was at my usual TPS, but there were some dps... ok, shadowpriests, who were dangerously behind me, and i mean at 95%+. I was seriously praying they died or got spines so they could stop.
Was me generating not enough TPS or that's just normal cause of the flying aoes?

I noticed this the first couple times I tanked him, so I maxed out my spell damage and through up JotC and it didn't seem to be a problem. My thought behind it was that we were losing a lot of time where I could be doing threat and the tidal shield was up. Also note that your spriests will chase you on this fight if they throw VE up, due to the large amount of raid damage.
Cakes

Postby enbee » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:28 am

Worldie wrote:1000-1100ish usually, something like that

You are such a liar.
LoL, a paladin tank!
enbee

Postby Worldie » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:16 am

enbee wrote:
Worldie wrote:1000-1100ish usually, something like that

You are such a liar.

It's true Oo i use some spelldamage set there since he doesnt hit hard tho.
Last time i was at about 800ish spelldam + JoTc, i'm lucky enough to have shamans for Wrath of Air :O

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Splug » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:00 am

I got lazy two weeks ago when he came out of Tidal Shield at 4% and was giving the "good job guys, let's head for the next trash soon as loot's done" speech. Popped open the raid window, started to move groups around for trash, and he ran off and blew one of our mages up right before he died. On a side note... is Naj tauntable? It doesn't come into play with the normal fight mechanics, but we had a pull some time back where our OT managed to pick him up after I died. I think he said Naj could be taunted, but he may have just been high on threat (since he was in damage gear without salv and a lot of melee were dead already).

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:34 am

I'm quite sure i've misclicked taunt once and it said immune. I might ask our MT to pop a taunt on him to check that today.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Splug » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:19 pm

Yeah, I don't know which explaination is less likely: taunt working, or a prot warrior in berserker stance with damage gear clocking in enough threat to take him after I hit the floor. Both of them left me kinda scratching my head, all I know is it went to the OT when he got back into melee range after it ate a shadow priest. May have been taunt, may have been going from 130% overtake to 110% overtake. Honestly, I haven't checked myself to see if he's tauntable. Guess I can see if we get time for BT tonight, heh.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to Black Temple