Anyone have GB of WR - Gamer Edition?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Anyone have GB of WR - Gamer Edition?

Postby Goins2754 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:41 am

Hey there, tankadins!

I recently stumbled across this site:

http://gamers.guinnessworldrecords.com/default.aspx

My first thought was "what's the world record for longest gaming marathon?" Doing some research, I found that it's separated by genre. The only marathon records I could find was for racing games (which is only 24 hours) & a FIFA tournament (24 hours).

So, if anyone has the GB of WR - Gamer Edition, I'd love to know what the world record gaming marathon for MMOs is. I bet it's insane, like over 100 hours. Those EQ guys were pretty hard corps back in the day. Though, I don't know if they were recording the records then.

I guess if no one has the book, I could always swing by Borders & just read it on the shelf. I just didn't want to spend that much on a book just to find out what one record is.
Goins2754

Re: Anyone have GB of WR - Gamer Edition?

Postby Santcuff » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:55 am

Goins2754 wrote:Hey there, tankadins!

I recently stumbled across this site:

http://gamers.guinnessworldrecords.com/default.aspx

My first thought was "what's the world record for longest gaming marathon?" Doing some research, I found that it's separated by genre. The only marathon records I could find was for racing games (which is only 24 hours) & a FIFA tournament (24 hours).

So, if anyone has the GB of WR - Gamer Edition, I'd love to know what the world record gaming marathon for MMOs is. I bet it's insane, like over 100 hours. Those EQ guys were pretty hard corps back in the day. Though, I don't know if they were recording the records then.

I guess if no one has the book, I could always swing by Borders & just read it on the shelf. I just didn't want to spend that much on a book just to find out what one record is.

Not MMOs but The Speed Gamers are actually in the process of doing a week long Mario marathon, last year they also did a Final fantasy week long marathon.
daemonym wrote:Crazy? I was crazy once...
Santcuff

Postby Goins2754 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:57 am

Update: I, at least, found the rules for record attempts.

Guiness requires a MINIMUM of 24 hours for any attempt labeled "marathon." Also, you're allowed a 5-min break for every hour of playing. Verification is done by witnesses and time-lapse recording.

Update II: I found the world record for one person playing a FPS. (24 hours, 4 min)

Update III: I just got back from Borders. There's no record listed in the GB of WR - Gamer Edition or the GB of WR. Both were the 2010 version. However, there was a note saying that they had received 138 submissions, all of them unsuccessful, for the FPS marathon record.

I'm going to shoot an email to Guiness or whatever and see if there is a record holder. If so, I think I'm gonna attempt to break it. I mean, honestly, what MMORPG player can't handle a 24 hour session? :)

Update IV: I sent in an official record attempt form to Guiness for title of Longest Video Game Marathon (single-person) in the MMORPG or overall categories. It says it takes 4-6 weeks to process. I'll let everyone know if there's any feedback.

Update V: I sent out an email to get a price on a professionally done time lapse recording. I want two or three cameras to record the attempt. The rules say if the quality isn't good enough, then the submission will not be counted. I also checked my hardware. Recording at 10 FPS & 640x480, I can record about 47 hours of gameplay. What sucks is if I really go for gold and push past the 47 hour mark, it won't be recorded. :( Anyone know any way to do in-game recording of extreme lengths? I mean, I have a 750GB hard drive. I don't even know how much external hard drives would help at this point. I'm running a Mac and using the in-game video recorder.

Also, I am going to have to do some research on the most stable server out there. Something in a battlegroup that rarely goes down. I don't want to be 23 hours in & have the server go down. I will be rolling a new character on this stable server. During my attempt, I'll just level via quests until I can't keep my eyes open anymore. :)

If it's okay, I would like to make a guild on that server named MainTankadin and the guild tabard will be similar to this site's logo. Then while I'm attempting this, it would be some form of free publicity for the site. I will also be wearing my MainTankadin T-shirt for this. :)
Goins2754

Postby badgermonkey » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:27 pm

If it's okay, I would like to make a guild on that server named MainTankadin and the guild tabard will be similar to this site's logo. Then while I'm attempting this, it would be some form of free publicity for the site. I will also be wearing my MainTankadin T-shirt for this. :)

I suggest you PM whatshisface. Begins with an S. The owner/admin dude.

I'm of the opinion that gaming for 24+ hours straight isn't an achievement to be proud of. I've done it, plenty of other people have, but that's not why it's not something to be proud of. At the end of the day, you've just sat in front of your computer for half a week, or whatever. It's a less fulfilling goal than trying to be the worlds faster onion juggler, or something else dumb.

That said, if you make a legitimate attempt, good luck with it :)
badgermonkey

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:40 pm

badgermonkey wrote:

Aergis begins with an A.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Goins2754 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:22 pm

I'm not going to bother with official sponsorship requests until I have some more information from GWR. I sent in my official request but it takes 4-6 weeks to be reviewed according to the website. I'd really only want a gaming site and maybe an energy drink company.

I'll keep you guys updated as this progresses.
Goins2754

Postby Goins2754 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:26 am

I got my reply from GWR today! The current record for "Longest Video Games Marathon on a First Person Shooter (FPS)" is 32hr 20min. That's good and bad. It's good because I know most everyone can break that. It's bad because they sent me a packet that clearly states the attempt must be made on a FPS. Argh! Why would they have a marathon record but only allow one genre of game? I sent an enquiry asking if they would allow World of Warcraft in my attempt. We'll see in a week or so. I also have a filmmaker standing by to record the attempt.

Now, I just need to find a public place & a case of 5-hour energy. :)
Goins2754

Postby PsiVen » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:00 pm

Hmm. I'm pretty sure my longest FPS marathon was about that long, but I probably took 1-2 hours worth of food breaks. I wouldn't want to repeat it, that's for sure.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Amirya » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:48 pm

Grehn|Skipjack wrote:
badgermonkey wrote:

Aergis begins with an A.

Maybe he meant Sab? Who is not owner/admin dude, just mod/global mod dude. :)
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Chunes » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:51 am

Wow, 24hr 4 min is the record for an FPS marathon? That's pretty weak. I know for a fact that in college I played vanilla wow for 28 hours straight, although at the time I likely took more than 5min/hour because I didn't have anyone to cook my frozen pizzas for me. Also my combined bio and cig breaks probably averaged out to 6 or so min/hour.
Chunes

Postby andx » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:03 am

My parents went out of town for a week when i was in Highschool and i played Ragnarok online for 44 hours straight
Maybe I just have a disease or an addiction to tanking, my gf says I'm a masochist I say I like it rough, either way I'm a tank and I can't escape it.
andx

Postby Aergis » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:21 am

badgermonkey wrote:

Not a bad idea. Although can you upload custom graphics for a guild tabard now? I haven't made a new guild for years...
Aergis
Site Admin

Postby Goins2754 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:13 pm

Ladies & Gentlemen! We are go for gaming!

I got my email today from GWR. They've created a new category for me "longest video game marathon playing an MMORPG." Woohoo!

I've been on the phone all day with Starbucks, University of Illinois - Chicago, GameStop, Monster, & Gurnee Mills Mall trying to find the required "public place" for the record attempt. I have to say, this is much more difficult than I imagined. Not many people want to let a gamer hang out in their store for 72-96 hours. If anyone has a public place that I can do this, I'd gladly drive a ways to make this happen. Also, any ideas would be much appreciated.
Goins2754

Postby Mcduffie » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:25 pm

I'm surprised Game Stop wasn't all over this. What a marketing idea, eh?

Anyway, best of luck to you. This sounds awesome. Wish I had a public place for you to use.
Mcduffie

Postby Mcduffie » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:34 pm

Anything come of this yet?
Mcduffie

Next

Return to General