Remove Advertisements

SSC: Tanking Fathom Lord Karathress

Hydross, Lurker, Leotheras, Fathom-Lord, Tidewalker, Vashj

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

SSC: Tanking Fathom Lord Karathress

Postby Fragh » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:43 pm

Hey all,

Last night I was asked to tank Fathom Lord Karathress for the 1st time. I was giver three tries. The first time the hunter was not picked up properly and we wiped. The second time the hunter was hitting my healer a resto druid and we wiped. The third attempt we got the Shaman down when I died. At this time our raid leader if it was more difficult healing me and the answer was yes. I was then asked to tank the priest and we won while a druid tanked Fathom Lord.

I have ~20k health, 17k armor, 21% dodge, 15% parry and ~24% shield block %. My BV I think was at around 450 (I might be off on this however). raid buffed.

The druid buffed at 17k, had about 38% dodge and was not at the armor cap but close he told me.

Why do the healers say I am harder to heal? Is this a bad fight for pally tank? I have been told by the druid and my wife that I am sometimes harder to heal. I dont completely understand this.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Fragh
Fragh

Postby Mouse » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:10 pm

there are many threads on this; yours may get locked.

Tank the hunter, you can pick up the pet easily. DONT tank the priest, you cant interrupt.

We put our MT war on FLK, i take the hunter, a druid takes the shaman (first kill), and another war, usually fury, takes the priest.
Qapla <Attrition> Cho'Gall
80 Tank DK

EnsgnBlack <Attrition> Cho'Gall
80 BE Prot Pally
Mouse

Postby Fragh » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:32 am

I have tanked the priest and the hunter successfully. My concern was more about the perception that we are harder to heal.
Fragh

Postby YoYoMa » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:14 pm

So the first time you failed to pick up the hunter. The second time you failed to pick up the hunter. The third time you got the hunter but died. Then you asked your healers if you were harder to heal and they said yes? Harder to heal than who? According to the information you gave they have no other frame of reference to compare you against.
YoYoMa

Postby Dorvan » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:33 pm

YoYoMa wrote:So the first time you failed to pick up the hunter. The second time you failed to pick up the hunter. The third time you got the hunter but died. Then you asked your healers if you were harder to heal and they said yes? Harder to heal than who? According to the information you gave they have no other frame of reference to compare you against.

I believe he was tanking Karathress, not the hunter.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Re: SSC: Tanking Fathom Lord Karathress

Postby guillex » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:04 pm

Fragh wrote:Hey all,

Last night I was asked to tank Fathom Lord Karathress for the 1st time. I was giver three tries. The first time the hunter was not picked up properly and we wiped. The second time the hunter was hitting my healer a resto druid and we wiped. The third attempt we got the Shaman down when I died. At this time our raid leader if it was more difficult healing me and the answer was yes. I was then asked to tank the priest and we won while a druid tanked Fathom Lord.

In bold for clarity.

He was tanking FLK. Another tank failed to pick up the hunter, didn't put out enough threat to beat healing threat... And the third time the healers failed.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Fragh » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:11 pm

yeah I was tanking Fathom Lord Karathress for all three attempts before I was moved.

On the 1st attempt I tanked both Fathom Lord Karathress and the Hunter = wipe.

On the second attempt I was on Fathom Lord Karathress and the hunter got pulled properly but for some reason (viper sting?) my healer was getting hit by the hunter and went oom very quickly.

On the 3rd attempt I went down after ~minute while tanking Fathom Lord Karathress.

At this point my healer was asked if I was herder to heal and the answer was yes. I was then switched to the priest with a rogue for kicks.

so I wonder if I am harder to heal or that was bs? The druid seemed to be easier to heal according to the druid healer but I have better gear / stam / avoidance...

Thx
Fragh

Postby Mortehl » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:14 pm

Out of curiosity, once the shaman died and FLK gained totems, did you move out of range of the spitfire totem as soon as it spawned?
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Mortehl

Postby Fragh » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:15 pm

yup.
Fragh

Postby Dorvan » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:20 pm

This is where WWS comes in handy. If your guild isn't running it, they should be. If they are, you can go back after the raid and find out whether or not you actually were taking more damage. Grimreaper is also helpful for telling you on the spot your immediate cause of death and whether you were getting heals at the time.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Stulvan » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:28 pm

This fight is bad for a paladin tank for 1 reason: you have a mana bar which means you'll get hit by the cataclysmic bolt taking out 50% of your total hp instantly. It hurts a lot.
Stulvan

Postby adese » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:41 am

Stulvan wrote:This fight is bad for a paladin tank for 1 reason: you have a mana bar which means you'll get hit by the cataclysmic bolt taking out 50% of your total hp instantly. It hurts a lot.

Where did you see that this only attacks players with a mana bar? According to his page on WoWWiki, it doesn't say that it only attacks players with mana, just that it can hit anyone in the raid.
adese

Postby Gerilith » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:49 am

I did not ever see a player without mana getting this shadow bolt.
Standing alone with no direction
How did I fall so far behind?
Why Am I searching for perfection?
Knowing it's something I won't find
Gerilith

Postby Mortehl » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:02 am

It hits anyone, not just people with mana bars and it isn't a big deal. This fight was main tanked by a paladin back when paladin tanks weren't fashionable yet.
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Mortehl

Postby YoYoMa » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:21 am

Ah, yeah I misread the original post, thought you were on the hunter the whole time.

As Dorvan said WWS is your friend here. There are all kinds of different types of damage going on in this fight. I haven't seen your stats but technically you should have no issue tanking any of the 4 mobs in this fight. There are certain ones that you will be better suited for (i.e. hunter) and ones which you will be less suited for (i.e. priest).

Yeah, use WWS to check out your incoming damage. Maybe you were getting crushed. Maybe you took more totem blasts. Maybe the timing was off and whoever took over tanking didn't get the hunter's enrage before you wiped where maybe you did. There's just a lot of variables on this one but as long as you are using your abilities and you are comparably geared to your other tanks I don't think you'd be any harder to heal.
YoYoMa

Next

Return to Serpentshrine Cavern