Remove Advertisements

Another noob looking for advice

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Re: Another noob looking for advice

Postby Arjuna » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:36 pm

theck, can you post that macro? I had it at one time but it got lost, I've been searching for it but can't find it anywhere on here... :(

I know I'm blind, sorry ;) Lost my glasses after an evening at the pub...
HUZZAH! How many points do I receive? :D
Arjuna

Postby Kaory » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:35 am

Im sorry, i've not read all posts, but I have adviced to all new protpallies:

1) Play with hotkeys.
2) Change targets by mouse.
3) As fast reaction as possible.
4) Right gearing.

Thats obvious, I know. But I think these things are most important.
Kaory

Postby Arcand » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:31 am

Arjuna wrote:I know I'm blind, sorry ;) Lost my glasses after an evening at the pub...

No, they're on your face. But you're still really drunk.
Arcand

Postby theckhd » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:32 am

From the 3.3 Talent Spec & Glyph Guide:
Theck wrote:However, Divine Guardian is an improved version of the Raidwall we had in 3.2. With the following macro we have a raid-wide mini-shield-wall for 6 seconds:

Code: Select all
#show
/cast Divine Sacrifice
/in 0.5 /script CancelUnitBuff("player","Divine Sacrifice")

Note: Apparently the "/in" command is part of the Ace framework. If you don't have an Ace addon, you can use the following (just mash it a few times):
Code: Select all
#show
/cancelaura Divine Sacrifice
/cast Divine Sacrifice

Note that this includes the casting paladin, meaning that these 3 points give us an extra 20% damage mitigation cooldown that we didn't previously have.

Honestly I don't even use the macro anymore, I just cast DS and leave it up. It hasn't killed me yet.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Boyfriend » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:36 am

theckhd wrote:Honestly I don't even use the macro anymore, I just cast DS and leave it up. It hasn't killed me yet.

Killed me once on LK. Was in group with LK-tank and used it when a shambler frenzied... went splat from the extra ~15k damage it transferred to me from the mt.
Boyfriend
Maintankadonor

Postby theckhd » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:39 am

Boyfriend wrote:
theckhd wrote:Honestly I don't even use the macro anymore, I just cast DS and leave it up. It hasn't killed me yet.

Killed me once on LK. Was in group with LK-tank and used it when a shambler frenzied... went splat from the extra ~15k damage it transferred to me from the mt.

I don't think I've ever used it during phase 1. Mine's usually reserved for the transition phase to ease healing while people are getting in position.

Heroic LK would definitely be a fight where the macro would be advisable, though.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby sycopat » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:20 pm

Arjuna wrote:Get the addons "TidyPlates" and "ThreatPlates", then you can immediately see what mob it is that you don't have threat on and can taunt back.

They are extremely useful when tanking multiple mobs!

I did mention having threat plates in a previous post, but it can do no harm to emphasise just how much easier they have made my life. It makes it so easy to see when I'm losing threat that I can usually target, taunt and hit the mob to properly re-establish threat before it has a chance to get out of melee range.

As my biggest ongoing problem is maintaining aggro on groups when the DPS are going nuts on multiple targets and their DPS is enough to outstrip my TPS, the ability to be ready with a taunt is invaluable. I'm not sure how much of this is due to differing gear levels, but I think it's time I started getting in the habit of marking some mobs just to give them some focus.

I also occasionally have issues holding aggro on bosses if the DPS is particularly high (i.e. if a single DPSer is doing more than three times my DPS) but a liberal use of taunts goes a long way to reducing the impact of this. It is also teaching me how to use hand of salvation, which as it turns out is very handy! :wink:
sycopat

Postby Shoju » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:43 pm

one thing that I have if I'm in a position where a DPSer (or healer in HoR) is consistently needing taunts is to use a Righteous Defense @ focus macro.

Tank transitions, AOE DPS getting out of control, Healer getting initial aggro in HOR, the list goes on and on and on for how this macro is made life easier.

Set your focus to who will be getting a lot of RD action, and mash that button. I also have a similar Salv macro for fights where I threat can be touchy (Festergut comes to mind ). I will set the other tank as my focus, and when I take over I will mash the RD macro, then the Salv Macro, and ensure that I don't lose aggro after taunting
Shoju

Previous

Return to Basic Training & Talents