Righteous Fury threat generation bugged - confirmed

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Postby ScribeShanky » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:31 pm

I finally made an account here to post my frustration with threat since the patch.

Before the patch, getting 1k TPS wasn't a problem. Now, like a few other here, I find myself riding 600-700 TPS while going all out. At first I thought they might have changed the holy spell damage coffecients after giving healers their free spell damage, but the Righteous Fury thing sounds like a better explanation.

Whatever the problem is, I just hope they fix it by the next patch..
I just love it when a good keikaku comes together.
ScribeShanky

Postby Diocaska » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:26 am

Okay, i've skimmed through the replies, but has anyone tried this with both Omen and KTM open? It doesnt sound like buggy threat meters, but at least this narrows that down.
Aurellia(90) Ulshala(85) Diocaska(85) Leighesha(85)
Diocaska

Postby Caelia » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:41 am

Diocaska wrote:Okay, i've skimmed through the replies, but has anyone tried this with both Omen and KTM open? It doesnt sound like buggy threat meters, but at least this narrows that down.
ill try that tonight in kara, use both and see what im getting for numbers.
In Progress: Fury Warrior: Tailwhip
All Retired: Holy Priest:Appletons | DK Blood Tank: Dreadborne | Prot Paladin: Welsh
Caelia

Postby Afraithe » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:42 am

I can't really say I've noticed any problems with this to be honest, I was pushing 1500 tps on Anetheron the other day, around 900-1000 on Rage Winterchill, but thats cause she casts a lot of spells and doesn't hit me much (mana starved in this fight as well, unless i stand in death & decay).
Afraithe

Postby Saladin » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:45 am

i havent noticed any significant drop on TPS either..

i have noticed that with crusader up a 5 stack JOV doesnt do as much as i thought it should >.< around 1k non crit.. but i may have just gotten too used to my sanctity build bfore patch ..

is there any confirmed( blue) bug with RF?
Saladin

Postby jere » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:50 am

Saladin wrote:is there any confirmed( blue) bug with RF?

Just that it costs double the mana it should.

I so far haven't had any threat abnormalities appear. I can sustain 800-1000 TPS on most fights where I can go all out in full raid gear and I can get a bit closer to 1100-1200 in my 5man/heroic tank gear.
jere

Postby Typhoeus » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:32 am

I ran through a 5 man with both KTM and Omen open. On single target mobs they were essentially the same numbers. I say essentially as there were minor differences (5-10 pts) but i think that can be explained if they measure TPS over different time intervals.

RF was cast only when i has max mana.

In ZA i did notice some very strange numbers coming from Omen. A DPS warrior in the group had a mob on him after he pulled it from a caster. (one of the "scout" add spawns). I then taunted it off of him. While i maintained aggro on the mob until it died, the DPS warrior's threat was hugely above mine for the entire duration of the fight. Not sure what's going on with that.

I've noticed that at times going all out its hard to push my threat over 800 (in ZA). Other times its easily going over 1000-1200 TPS.
Typhoeus

Postby Faelure » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:02 pm

Typhoeus wrote:In ZA i did notice some very strange numbers coming from Omen. A DPS warrior in the group had a mob on him after he pulled it from a caster. (one of the "scout" add spawns). I then taunted it off of him. While i maintained aggro on the mob until it died, the DPS warrior's threat was hugely above mine for the entire duration of the fight. Not sure what's going on with that.

That often can be explained by the warrior either running a different version of Omen or running KTM. They sync sort of, but not overly well.

Sometimes that kinda thing just happens and doesn't make any sense (same versions etc) and I think it just might be a bug where taunt doesn't register or something. I've seen it a lot and its just one of those quirks with any threat meter that you have to get used to ignoring.
Faelure

Postby jere » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:34 pm

Or the fact that the scout spawns two adds with the same name, so the warrior was probably doing damage to both. In situations where there is more than one mob with the same name, neither Omen or KTM will be accurate. In situations where there is only one mob with a unique name but with other mobs around, Omen will be accurate and KTM will not.
Last edited by jere on Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jere

Postby Khaelor » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:30 pm

I haven't noticed any problems with threat. I've recently done Full Kara and Full ZA on the weekend and most heroics throughout the last week or two.

People always get suspicious when patches come out (Is onyxia deep breathing more?!). Maybe your DPS just got better gear and is doing more dps. Who knows.
Khaelor

Postby Dayblade » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:33 am

Well I too am one of those that is suspecting something gone wrong with RF.

I typically tank VR first in our runs on him and have our hunters MD me throughout the fight -- so I typically don't fall much past say the 3rd tank. To add some more data and fuel to the fire - when opening up on the big bag of bolt purple lovin - I usually can burst up to 1.2k/1.4k threat non-issue.

Last night - I saw MAX 700/800 tps from Omen. I usually can do WAAAAY more than this and can hold the big boy for a solid 20/25% of the initial pull. Last night - he broke off me and went to tank 2 because of low threat generation within 10% :( Grrrrrrrrr. I typically hit tank this guy with 400 +Spell and do the proper judges/HS when down etc tanking mechanics - so what is REALLY going on here? Cause after last night - I REALLY felt like my days as one of our guild's top tier tanks are coming to a close. :(
Dayblade
GM, Blade of Honor
Dayblade

Postby Faelure » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:30 am

jere wrote:Or the fact that the scout spawns two adds with the same name, so the warrior was probably doing damage to both. In situations where there is more than one mob with the same name, neither Omen or KTM will be accurate. In situations where there is only one mob with a unique name but with other mobs around, Omen will be accurate and KTM will not.

Good call, forgot which mobs he was talking about and that they come in pairs.
Faelure

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:40 am

Last night I went in to VR with more spell damage than I ever have (over 600), and the Libram of Divine Purpose and a flask of Blinding Light.

It was my worst performance ever. I held him for barely half the fight, when I usually have him for at least 2/3rds. I even gemmed for more avoidance to try to offset knockbacks.

Fuck that noise. Purple gems inc.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby kalbear » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:43 am

I'm wondering whether there's something else wrong. If Omen is reporting low scores, it is figuring that based on the damage output, not the RF reported threat. It's trying to figure it out by seeing damage and then applying the RF threat modifier. If it's reporting low, that means it's doing so because it's reporting less damage done.

What could be causing less damage done? One thing I've seen before (especially on big bosses) is consecrates missing all the time due to the stupid hitbox.

If anyone has a recent WWS parse for their run, I'd be curious to see it.

Actually, thinking through it a bit...that's been one of the common issues, right? Big bosses with weird hitboxes. And that was something they said they were addressing in 2.3, right? I had problems with Fel Reaver, VR, Prince...hmm.
kalbear

Postby Samuelus » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:29 pm

I sent a ticket last night but left before it was answered. here is the reply in my mail this morning,

"
Greetings,
Blizzard Entertainment - World of Warcraft

Thank you for contacting the World of Warcraft Game Master Department.

Issue Reported:threat with righteous Fury seems seriously low compaired
to norm.

We are aware of the situation you reported, and we are currently
working on a solution. Please check the World of Warcraft website
(http://www.worldofwarcraft.com) for future updates and corrections. We
appreciate your patience.

You can also check our forums
("http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/forums/") where you can discuss game issues with other players.

Thank you again for contacting us. We hope you continue to enjoy your
experience in World of Warcraft!

*** Please do not respond to this email as all conversations on this
matter would be best handled online. ***

Regards

Dracoians
GameMaster
Blizzard Entertaiment
www.Worldofwarcraft.com
"

guess that means it IS IN FACT broke.
Samuelus