Tankpoints a viable addon?

All things /script related

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, _Chloe

Postby Gerilith » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:49 am

Shugg wrote:I really suck at math will someone check my total from the armory if they have time, you'll make my day!! I got 92.6. Thanks guys. My armory link is below.

You're at 97.11, which will result in crushing immunity if you would use the Libram of Repetance instead.
Standing alone with no direction
How did I fall so far behind?
Why Am I searching for perfection?
Knowing it's something I won't find
User avatar
Gerilith
 
Posts: 788
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:21 am
Location: Germany

Postby Shugg » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:56 am

Thanks brother, i'm gonna look into that :lol:
Shugg
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:02 am

Postby papy72 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:43 am

[warning: may sound noobish - please forgive me]

What do you use tankpoints for?

I mean, I downloaded it because it looked like a decent way to evaluate one piece of gear against another. As I am only lvl 47 my crushability is of no concern.

But I do want to see if some green I get from a quest is "better" than what I have now.

But the gear comparison data it adds to the tooltips seems aimed entirely at warriors. My understanding of pally tanking is that we favor Int over Str but the mod was showing a piece of Str/Sta gear as better than my Of The Eagle gear I am wearing (and the Sta on my gear was 1-2 points higher).

Is there some setting I can manipulate to change the priority of the stats?
papy72
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:47 pm

Postby Gerilith » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:23 pm

TankPoints seems to be buggy as hell at the moment...I'm crushing immune and it shows 5% hit and my EH is lowered by RF :?:
Standing alone with no direction
How did I fall so far behind?
Why Am I searching for perfection?
Knowing it's something I won't find
User avatar
Gerilith
 
Posts: 788
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:21 am
Location: Germany

Postby Makaijin » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:06 pm

Seems the addon author is adding new new features. The EH tab is an obvious start. But at the same time he broke the calculator where the stats don't update in real time. I normally gear up, see the combat table, swap a few gear around, press my holy shield button, crushing goes from 15.00% to 0.00% i am set. With the last few updates seems the calculator is broke.
Image
Makaijin
 
Posts: 574
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:23 am

Postby Sloath » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:00 am

Makaijin wrote:Seems the addon author is adding new new features. The EH tab is an obvious start. But at the same time he broke the calculator where the stats don't update in real time. I normally gear up, see the combat table, swap a few gear around, press my holy shield button, crushing goes from 15.00% to 0.00% i am set. With the last few updates seems the calculator is broke.


Yep, since the 2.3 updates, I've been experiencing the same thing. Hope that gets sorted out soon.. I sorta miss it.
User avatar
Sloath
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:18 am

Postby Morganim » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:19 pm

papy72 wrote:[warning: may sound noobish - please forgive me]

What do you use tankpoints for?

I mean, I downloaded it because it looked like a decent way to evaluate one piece of gear against another. As I am only lvl 47 my crushability is of no concern.

But I do want to see if some green I get from a quest is "better" than what I have now.

But the gear comparison data it adds to the tooltips seems aimed entirely at warriors. My understanding of pally tanking is that we favor Int over Str but the mod was showing a piece of Str/Sta gear as better than my Of The Eagle gear I am wearing (and the Sta on my gear was 1-2 points higher).

Is there some setting I can manipulate to change the priority of the stats?


At this stage its definately catered more for warriors than paladins.

It doesnt factor int or +dmg at all afaik.

What its useful for imo is blockvalue showing, and when you wanna stuff around with stats in the calculator even though its borked atm
Morganim
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:55 pm

Postby adese » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:27 am

Morganim wrote:What its useful for imo is blockvalue showing, and when you wanna stuff around with stats in the calculator even though its borked atm


Since 2.3, the default UI now shows block value as well (finally). If you hover over the Block% entry, the tooltip now also says something to the effect of, "Prevents xx damage on all blocked attacks".
Image
Image
adese
 
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 7:33 pm
Location: Aggramar

Postby Gerilith » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:32 am

Just downloaded a new version which pretends to have the calculator fixed.
Standing alone with no direction
How did I fall so far behind?
Why Am I searching for perfection?
Knowing it's something I won't find
User avatar
Gerilith
 
Posts: 788
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:21 am
Location: Germany

Postby Everlight » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:33 am

Morganim wrote:At this stage its definately catered more for warriors than paladins.

It doesnt factor int or +dmg at all afaik.

What its useful for imo is blockvalue showing, and when you wanna stuff around with stats in the calculator even though its borked atm


That's because int and +damage do absolutely nothing for your tanking ability, when it comes down to damage absorption. That is all TankPoints cares about.

The reason why the strength item came up with higher TP is because Strength contributes in part to Block Value, which does help with mitigation.

TankPoints is not the be-all-end-all item comparison tool. The sole purpose is to show you how an item affects your ability to absorb damage. It does not take into account such things as Intellect, +damage, spell hit and the like, because they do not affect your ability to survive whatsoever.
Everlight
 
Posts: 590
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 5:48 pm

Postby Biscotti » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:37 am

Has it been updated to take into account blessing of sanctuary? That should definitely factor into effective health calculation & didn't change tankpoints' rating last time I checked.
Image
Biscotti
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:55 am

Postby Kellann » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:56 am

Tankpoints has always been tailored to warriors (as best I remember, 20STR != 1BV for tankpoints....the str->ap is 'weighted' for warrior agro considerations as well)

Tanking paladins have been using the calculator mostly - in order to do a quick gear swap then crush-check AND in order to compare near-future upgrades to make better decisions with DKP, etc. Nobody likes picking up an "upgrade" which makes them crushable (or sometimes Critable) again...

At this stage I've given up on it (at least temporarily) and I'm using the /script method to check for crush immunity.

Biscotti wrote:Has it been updated to take into account blessing of sanctuary? That should definitely factor into effective health calculation & didn't change tankpoints' rating last time I checked.


Probably not....but then again, don't be mislead about BoSanc's damage reduction: The "Up to 80" is applied pre-mitigation, which generally means that it is a flat 30 something reduction (60%+ armor reduction happens afterwards)
Kellann - Uther
Kellann
 
Posts: 273
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:41 am

Postby Everlight » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:29 pm

Kellann wrote:Tankpoints has always been tailored to warriors (as best I remember, 20STR != 1BV for tankpoints....the str->ap is 'weighted' for warrior agro considerations as well)


Completely incorrect. Coming straight from the horse's mouth, as it were;

TankPoints Documentation wrote:=== Block Value From Strength ===
- blockValueFromStrength = (strength * 0.05) - 1

=== Block Value ===
- blockValue = floor(blockValueFromStrength) + floor((blockValueFromItems + blockValueFromShield) * blockValueMod


Strength is not used anywhere else in the entire set of formula that TP uses.

Note, I don't have a huge amount of faith in the Effective Health stuff, since that's new code.

Other than that, the most significant "non-Paladin" stuff that TP misses is it doesn't take into account Holy Shield automatically (you have to buff it yourself), doesn't take into account Blessing of Sanctuary, and the calculator hasn't yet been coded to automatically add in Sacred Duty and Combat Expertise, which means if you're adding stamina in the calculator you need to add the multipliers yourself.

It used to take into account Ardent Defender, but the author arsed up the code so removed it until he can fix it to be more meaningful.
Everlight
 
Posts: 590
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 5:48 pm

Previous

Return to Add-ons, UI, and Macros

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest

cron

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest