PVE - Lock

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

PVE - Lock

Postby Korola » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:09 am

I am starting to like my affliction warlock. I had benched him for a while to level my shaman and death knight. Shaman at 80 and DK at 77 I decided to mess around with him. Level 52 on Monday. Western Plaguelands - ugh. I started the quests and was runnning back and forth. I figured that the time it takes me to run back and hand in a quest or two, wasn't much more than if I just chain killed mobs. Hit level 56 by days end. Strategy was use clumsy blueberry pet on passive, target mob, corruption, curse of agony, (repeat on any mob in range) let all mobs run in, use sacrifice and suffering (bubble and aoe taunt), hellfire till dead. Tuesday I just said forget vanilla, headed to Hellfire and killed buzzards till 58. Picked up the quests I could, and finished the day at 60. Wednesday I learned the wonderful spell haunt. This decreased my kill time and down time. At the end of the day I went to sleep a level 65 warlock. I generally don't stop casting or running, I enjoy going back over the string of corpses to loot. Gonna try for 68 today then Northrend here I come! There has really been so little down time that I am astonished at how fast it has gone. 3 days, 13 levels...
Korola
Maintankadonor

Re: PVE - Lock

Postby bldavis » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:24 am

is there a question here?

or a comment thread?

and i love my demonology lock, may not be the fastest at killing crap, but what other clothy could take on a 80 elite at 77 and come out twith 70% health and 40% mana?

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Jasari » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:25 am

Sounds more like a "post your accomplishments" contribution that a new thread about PvE Warlocks.
Jasari

Postby Korola » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:58 am

Jasari wrote:Sounds more like a "post your accomplishments" contribution that a new thread about PvE Warlocks.

Just find it really surprising how little down time there is. Maybe others have had the same experience with their warlock. Been kinda bored with WoW lately, and the lock actually got me a little excited to play again.

bldavis wrote:and i love my demonology lock, may not be the fastest at killing crap, but what other clothy could take on a 80 elite at 77 and come out twith 70% health and 40% mana?
Korola
Maintankadonor

Postby Korola » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:19 am

I guess my next obstacle will be running dungeons as I haven't ran a dungeon with him through his 50's or 60's. Looking at my damage meter on most single target mobs I am usually around 450-500 dps depending on crits and the length of the fight. As an affliction spec, am I going to be viable tabbing through and dotting, then tossing rain of fire? Anyone else have some experience with dungeons and what has worked for them? I know as excited as I am now ripping through mobs while questing, it will fade and I will find myself using the RDF.
Korola
Maintankadonor

Postby Jasari » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:45 am

Korola wrote:I guess my next obstacle will be running dungeons as I haven't ran a dungeon with him through his 50's or 60's. Looking at my damage meter on most single target mobs I am usually around 450-500 dps depending on crits and the length of the fight. As an affliction spec, am I going to be viable tabbing through and dotting, then tossing rain of fire? Anyone else have some experience with dungeons and what has worked for them? I know as excited as I am now ripping through mobs while questing, it will fade and I will find myself using the RDF.

In dungeons most things die too fast for dots to be worth putting up. There are some exceptions, but Seed spamming will be your best bet in most situations.
Jasari

Postby bldavis » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:48 am

Jasari wrote:
Korola wrote:I guess my next obstacle will be running dungeons as I haven't ran a dungeon with him through his 50's or 60's. Looking at my damage meter on most single target mobs I am usually around 450-500 dps depending on crits and the length of the fight. As an affliction spec, am I going to be viable tabbing through and dotting, then tossing rain of fire? Anyone else have some experience with dungeons and what has worked for them? I know as excited as I am now ripping through mobs while questing, it will fade and I will find myself using the RDF.

In dungeons most things die too fast for dots to be worth putting up. There are some exceptions, but Seed spamming will be your best bet in most situations.

even in demon spec, on large packs (read 6+) i get huge numbers with seed spam
8-14k every about 2 sec? HELL YES!

but most trash wont be alive for any dots to tick, just do RoF if its a small group, or seed them if its a large pack.

Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Korola » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:01 pm

I guess I will just wait for 70 to run when I get seed. I suppose I could rain, but then I would worry about agro. I don't get soul shatter till 68, and after playing a hunter and priest, I find myself looking for my agro dump button.

What is the general rule with pets? Should I use the appropriate one, felpuppy right now for affliction? Or should I worry more about the group benefit, like imp for hps?
Korola
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:14 pm

Korola wrote:I guess I will just wait for 70 to run when I get seed. I suppose I could rain, but then I would worry about agro. I don't get soul shatter till 68, and after playing a hunter and priest, I find myself looking for my agro dump button.

What is the general rule with pets? Should I use the appropriate one, felpuppy right now for affliction? Or should I worry more about the group benefit, like imp for hps?

if i remember right, felpuppy is for afflic, imp for destro, and FG is for demon

and if oyur worried about threat, then dont use seed....

its a 2k nuke to EVERY mob within 15 yds..

bldavis

Postby Korola » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:36 pm

I guess my main concern is threat. I know I was always grumbling at good warlocks when I was tanking. I can see things from their side now. Even though my initial thoughts were that they should be more consistant threat, because of dots, it feels much more spikey. I watch omen and it does some wierd things. I guess my sample size might be too small to make that judgement.
Korola
Maintankadonor

Postby theckhd » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:02 am

Korola wrote:I guess my main concern is threat. I know I was always grumbling at good warlocks when I was tanking. I can see things from their side now. Even though my initial thoughts were that they should be more consistant threat, because of dots, it feels much more spikey. I watch omen and it does some wierd things. I guess my sample size might be too small to make that judgement.

The reason it feels more spiky might just be the following scenario:

Code: Select all
apply dot #1
apply dot #2, dot #1 ticks
apply dot #3, dots #1 & #2 tick
Shadowbolt, dots #1, #2, and #3 all tick    <---- large damage spike

Obviously that's an over-simplification of how it works, but it's enough to demonstrate how an affliction lock can generate a pretty massive amount of burst threat in a small time window.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Amirya » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:55 am

Maybe it's just me, but Affliction bores the hell out of me. I use it solely for questing - and I haven't quested since I finished Wrathgate.

I really enjoy Destruction, but I use that solely for dungeons. Almost always top of the charts (unfortunately, almost always have a red flashing screen too!)
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Korola » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:11 am

Not sure if it has been suggested before or not, I would like a soul stone that carries charges. I use shardmax and keep it set to 5, just to save bag space, but it would be nice if I could have one single stone with 30 charges on it. Off to the official forums to post it anyways, bracing myself for the barrage of 'L2P NUB'....
Korola
Maintankadonor

Postby Mozen » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:08 pm

Then you'll be happy to hear that in 4.0, soul shards will become self-refreshing and limited to three shards per warlock. Soul stones, health stones and summoning will no longer cost soul shards (if I remember correctly). It's the long awaited quality of life improvement for warlocks.

I don't use the VW as affliction, unless I'm taking on a tough elite. My DOTs plus the Felhunter on defensive is enough to take care of most level-appropriate trash. Glyph Siphon Life and I'm mostly be at full health. For mob types that have higher health, just add in Haunt. In fact, with the glyph of siphon life, I level affliction with the Succubus starting from level 30 through to about 43-45 when I get Dark Pact and 2/2 Improved Felhunter. From then on it's Felhunter all the way.

This is what I consider the best deep-affliction farming/questing spec for finishing off all Northrend quests:
http://www.wowhead.com/talent#Irxrburho ... choA:Twn0M

Improved Howl of Terror used to be great at level 70, but now it's hardly necessary. One reason is that we ding 80 too quickly, and by the time we get to the later zones, would should have a full set of Triumph gear from running the odd random heroics as we quest. The power from gear alone would make our dots strong enough that mobs won't last long enough for us to need Howl of Terror.

The Demonology path improves on survivability and later on DPS.

For instancing, really just go Destruction. Seriously. You can just RoF on most packs. It's easier and higher DPS. Affliction won't be of much help until you start raiding, at the current stage of the game, since five-man mobs (especially heroics) just die too fast for DOTs to be worth anything. If they're gonna die that fast, you might as well take the easier way out and use RoF, which means destruction.

It's frustrating to get a big-headed healer that refuses to heal you with his/her full mana bar after you've just spent all your mana throwing seeds.
Mozen

Postby Levantine » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:59 pm

Screw that, go Demo. Lol Immolation Aura.
Levantine

Next

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes