Taunting issue.

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Taunting issue.

Postby purtywinkz » Thu May 27, 2010 3:54 am

Soooo I am having a bit of what I feel is a No0b Problem. Righteious defense... Often in raid situations its hard for me to figure out who is gathering aggro or stealing it away from me on trash mobs. So I can't affectively target the player. Now I know of a addon called taunt master which is great for this because I can see who is having aggro issues. However, my currently ui it would look like total shit and honestly it takes up a fuck ton of room. So I need some advice on how to properly use rightious defense.
purtywinkz

Re: Taunting issue.

Postby Argali » Thu May 27, 2010 4:06 am

If you use RD while targetting a mob, it works is if you targetted the player.
Argali

Postby inthedrops » Thu May 27, 2010 7:37 am

Here's my advice after years of tanking on my prot paladin.

TLDR:
1. Turn on enemy health bars.
2. Practice targeting mobs manually.
3. Use tidy plates.
4. Use grid + clique

Details...

1. Turn on enemy health bars.
2. Use TidyPlates + whatever the threat addon is called. It makes it very easy to see which mobs you have agro on and which you don't.
3. Use Grid so that you can see the names of people who have agro on a mob.
4. Use Clique in combination with grid so that you can setup a keybinding to taunt with RD by clicking on grid.

Grid + Clique isn't enough though. You need to "practice practice practice" seeing when a mob isn't on you, clicking it quickly with your mouse to see who it's on, and then taunting when necessary. That whole process needs to be done in a second or less (click mob, process who it's on, decide to taunt or not) so your UI needs to be setup efficiently in order to process that info.

The hardest part for most people is clicking the mob in a sea of mobs. Turning on health bars will help, but it takes more practice than anything. For example, you'll learn that with lag it actually helps to lead the mob a small amount to click it if it's running away as opposed to clicking right where it's at.

Finally, the other skill to master, which also takes practice, is making sure that after you THINK you clicked the right mob, that you REALLY did before taunting. It'll take a 1/4 second after clicking the mob to make sure that you selected the one you exepct. That 1/4 second is worth it to wait before taunting. Skills like this are acquired on fights like tanking the Adds on Anub (Anub hitbox issues), or any fight where it's easy to accidentally target the wrong mob.

Another thing to note is that after it was introduced I've learned to rely more on my single target taunt than anything else. Which means I got more used to actually clicking on a mob when taunting. This paid off in the long run as it developed my mob location/targeting skills. This is important in fights like LK and the Raging Spirits when RD cannot be used. So don't rely on RD as your first choice for taunting.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Lionnis » Fri May 28, 2010 10:24 am

Grid is definitely the way to go for using RD off of people that have aggro, it's an amazing utility that i've been using for a long time now. I have it setup specifically to emphasize aggro on my tank, much as you would emphasize of other things if you were healer.
Lionnis
Maintankadonor

Postby Mert » Fri May 28, 2010 9:09 pm

Agree that Grid is great for this purpose. I personally use it in conjunction with Clique so I can Shift+Click anyone on Grid to cast Righteous Defense on them without targetting them first. In the future I plan to add a few more keybinds such as Hand of Protection, Hand of Salvation and so on as I've had such great results from using it for RD.
Mert

Postby Arjuna » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:57 am

inthedrops wrote:2. Use TidyPlates + whatever the threat addon is called. It makes it very easy to see which mobs you have agro on and which you don't.

it's called ThreatPlates, and I too recommend it, it's awesome! You immediately can see which mobs aren't on you and respond accordingly...
HUZZAH! How many points do I receive? :D
Arjuna

Postby Koatanga » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:19 pm

Suggestions are good. TidyPlates is a winner for sure.

Rather than Clique+Grid, I use VuhDo. It's easier to configure and handles more tasks, such as smart-casting. It's easier to set up groups, like melee, ranged, healers, tanks, and pets. You might want the healers in their own group close by so you can prioritise them for taunts, for example.

I've tried Grid several times, but there are so many bloody modules to it that I always get lost in the minutiae of setting it up instead of being able to crack open the box and use it. VuhDo was much easier for me. Your mileage may vary.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby blakk » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:23 pm

I love mouseover macros. I'm thinking of dropping vuhdo for healing and going with grid+mouseovers
blakk

Postby Koatanga » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:10 pm

You can use mouseover macros with VuhDo as well.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby blakk » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:19 pm

Koatanga wrote:You can use mouseover macros with VuhDo as well.

But my grid looks prettier. And I don't wanna try to get the colors right on vuhdo
blakk

Return to Basic Training & Talents