Precious & Stinky

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: Precious & Stinky

Postby Dane » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:16 pm

Kinda off topic, but on our Precious kill this week, I died, and yet...lived.

I was low health, and took a hit that should have killed me...but I suddenly JUMPED in HP.

I lost a bunch of my buffs, and I couldn't move until I logged, but I survived. We haven't analyzed the log yet, but we're suspecting that Decimate may have interacted funny with AD (which did NOT proc the debuff) or something.
Dane

Postby econ21 » Sat May 29, 2010 6:13 pm

Can someone help me with basic tactics on this trash, as I keep dying tanking them?

Firstly, how do you know when to taunt off the other tank? Deadly boss mods does not broadcast their stacking debuff unlike those on proper bosses. Do you have to rely on whispering or yelling etc? I had read about a tactic of taunting off just before every decimate, but that led to a lot of debuffs (10 at one point) and I died, so I am not sure I want to follow that. I just read in the posts above to taunt as soon as your debuff has worn off, if so, I guess it is just the first taunt that needs communication.

Also, what should tanks do with the undead skellies that spawn with one of the dogs? In our guild 10 mans, we tend to kite them after the dog is dead but that's as much from necessity as anything else as the tanks are usually dead. I tried holy wrathing them once before the dog was down and that just seemed to be suicide.

Thanks for any advice.
econ21

Postby Treck » Sat May 29, 2010 6:29 pm

Comunication?
Taunt anywhere between 4-10 stacks, they hit for about 5k so i dont see how you can die even with 10 debuffs it would take a lot of time.
You can always try to /Y TAUNT spamm untill someone taunts it off.
Taunting after a decimate aswell is clever i guess, as long as the new tank doesnt have any debuffs.
Stinky i can see people dying on after decimate.
Precious, just aoe the adds when they spawn and they wont be a problem.
Treck

Postby Invisusira » Sat May 29, 2010 7:25 pm

econ21 wrote:Can someone help me with basic tactics on this trash, as I keep dying tanking them?

Firstly, how do you know when to taunt off the other tank? Deadly boss mods does not broadcast their stacking debuff unlike those on proper bosses. Do you have to rely on whispering or yelling etc?

Treck wrote:Comunication?

^ ^ ^ ^

Sorry, but for your sake I really hope you're joking. If you're being serious, it's time to turn off your mods for a bit and re-learn how to play the game. That is a whole new level of reliance.
Invisusira

Postby duriek » Sat May 29, 2010 8:18 pm

econ21 wrote:Can someone help me with basic tactics on this trash, as I keep dying tanking them?

Firstly, how do you know when to taunt off the other tank? Deadly boss mods does not broadcast their stacking debuff unlike those on proper bosses. Do you have to rely on whispering or yelling etc? I had read about a tactic of taunting off just before every decimate, but that led to a lot of debuffs (10 at one point) and I died, so I am not sure I want to follow that. I just read in the posts above to taunt as soon as your debuff has worn off, if so, I guess it is just the first taunt that needs communication.

Also, what should tanks do with the undead skellies that spawn with one of the dogs? In our guild 10 mans, we tend to kite them after the dog is dead but that's as much from necessity as anything else as the tanks are usually dead. I tried holy wrathing them once before the dog was down and that just seemed to be suicide.

Thanks for any advice.

You see you have these things called eyes. And you can see things with these miraculous body parts. What you do is you look at your debuffs and when you get to around 6-7 stacks you use 1 of 2 body parts for the next step:

1.) Hands - You can use these body parts to type onto the keyboard that you need someone else to taunt. This method is particularly inefficient. I suggest using your...
2.) Mouth - Your mouth, in conjunction with your vocal chords, can create sounds and that resemble words that are part of whatever language it is that you speak. You would also need to have a microphone and some sort of a VoIP program like Ventrilo or Teamspeak so that other people can use their ears to hear the sounds that you are making. Once they hear that someone has to taunt the mob they will react by pushing the appropriate skill in game in order to aggro Stinky or Precious.

This process is repeated until the mob's HP has reached zero... also known as being dead.

This strategy guide is brought to you by Duriek. All rights are reserved and this publication is copyrighted. Any attempts to plagiarize will result in the alleged being criminally prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
duriek
Maintankadonor

Postby Meloree » Sun May 30, 2010 12:44 am

Or, you can plan to taunt, and then decide not to, and see how long the other tank can keep up with personal cooldowns and/or if they're clever enough to convince other paladins to BoP them.

Other tanks are worth extra points in Bingo.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby hoho » Sun May 30, 2010 1:40 am

I'd say there are three things that are (almost) mandatory to have when tanking:
1) show debuffs on friendly players
2) show target's target
3) focus the other tank

That way you can always keep an eye on any debuff the other tank has no matter if you tank the same mob or not and you won't have to rely on anyone telling you what to do. E.g on saurfang hc you can't really expect to be called when you need to taunt from other tank, you just need to react immediately
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby Chicken » Sun May 30, 2010 6:35 am

Dane wrote:Kinda off topic, but on our Precious kill this week, I died, and yet...lived.

I was low health, and took a hit that should have killed me...but I suddenly JUMPED in HP.

I lost a bunch of my buffs, and I couldn't move until I logged, but I survived. We haven't analyzed the log yet, but we're suspecting that Decimate may have interacted funny with AD (which did NOT proc the debuff) or something.
The Decimate used by Precious and Stinky is actually special, it just sets your health to 20%, or whatever it is, so it effectively heals you if you're below that amount of health. What you described happening is what happens if Decimate is used the exact moment you die, the game gets some conflicting messages at that point which causes you to enter a strange state between being alive and being dead. Because you "died" you can't move, but because you got set to 20% health at that exact moment you didn't actually "die".
Chicken

Postby econ21 » Sun May 30, 2010 5:01 pm

hoho wrote:I'd say there are three things that are (almost) mandatory to have when tanking:
1) show debuffs on friendly players
2) show target's target
3) focus the other tank

Thanks, I don't focus the other tank - I guess if I do that, I will get to see his debuffs?

We can communicate - I have a taunt raid warning macro for such events - for some reason, I just feel uncomfortable at the idea of using a mic in ventrilo, but I do listen. It's just if I can see and so taunt without waiting to be told that would be good. The more experienced tank I initially ran with could do this.

treck wrote:Taunt anywhere between 4-10 stacks.

Thanks, that's very useful.
econ21

Postby Rhiannon » Sun May 30, 2010 5:38 pm

I guess you're using default interface? No idea if target of target debuffs show up in default interface, but any sort of unit frames addon (such as pitbull, x-perl etc) should give you the ability to show debuffs on your target's target, which makes it fairly easy.
Rhiannon

Postby Mozen » Sun May 30, 2010 8:19 pm

Have the first taunt at 5 stacks, then just taunt off each other whenever your debuff falls off.

The built in raid frames don't show number of stacks, although it does show debuffs (right click > show debuffs) and you can see the stacks if you mouse over the specific debuff.

The built in focus frame, however, does show stacks. So always focus your co-tank. You need to practice to keep an eye on your co-tank in any and all tank switch encounters.

If you're fighting these two doggies, you should have done Lady Deathwhisper, which (more or less) requires tank swaps in phase two. I would have thought anyone tanking ICC by now can judge when to taunt by just looking at the debuff description and getting a feel for how long the stack lasts.
Mozen

Postby econ21 » Mon May 31, 2010 4:39 am

Mozen wrote:I would have thought anyone tanking ICC by now can judge when to taunt by just looking at the debuff description and getting a feel for how long the stack lasts.

Thanks, your advice is very useful.

Everyone has to start somewhere - my problem was (a) not being able to see the other tanks' stacks; and (b) not knowing how many stacks is dangerous. You and others have answered these questions, thanks.

DBM trivialises (a) for proper boss fights - you get a raid warning kind of thing but I now know how to get the info from the default UI (focus the other tank).

On (b), the safe number of stacks, it probably seems second nature to veterans, but I don't see how a newcomer can have a "feel" for it - Saurfang requires taunt on one; Festergut on eight, etc. I tried to read up on it for the dogs, but the tactics I found - taunt just before decimate - did not work out so well for me the first and so far only time I have been main tank.
econ21

Postby Argali » Mon May 31, 2010 5:39 am

If you're wiping continually, go practice on Gluth. He's exactly the same in regards to decimate/mortal wound.
Argali

Postby Boyfriend » Mon May 31, 2010 5:55 am

econ21 wrote:On (b), the safe number of stacks, it probably seems second nature to veterans, but I don't see how a newcomer can have a "feel" for it - Saurfang requires taunt on one; Festergut on eight, etc. I tried to read up on it for the dogs, but the tactics I found - taunt just before decimate - did not work out so well for me the first and so far only time I have been main tank.

The taunt speed is not governed by how many stacks are safe, but by how long the debuff lasts. You can't taunt before your debuff falls off or it will be refreshed, how many stacks the other tank has is fairly inconsequential.

You can do it entirely without seeing the other tanks debuffs, just taunt after a couple seconds and from then on taunt as soon as your debuff falls off; you might taunt more often than needed but that doesn't hurt anyone.
Boyfriend
Maintankadonor

Postby Mozen » Mon May 31, 2010 9:13 pm

Good methodology, although while it is fine on most tank switches where debuffs fall off, it's not good enough for Putricide, where you need to taunt based on the number of stacks the other tank has and the debuff must not fall off.

And on Saurfang, taunting when your debuff falls off isn't useful. You need to taunt when your co-tank gets the debuff. That's yet another twist to the tank switch game.
Mozen

PreviousNext

Return to T10: Icecrown Citadel