Remove Advertisements

League of Legends

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: League of Legends

Postby Arnock » Fri May 28, 2010 6:32 pm

What day do the new free heroes rotate in?

Anyway, arnock's my summoner name if anyone wants a few free kills
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Levantine » Fri May 28, 2010 6:48 pm

ITT: Aubad finds a new game to ego over.
Levantine

Postby Argali » Sat May 29, 2010 12:46 am

Not sure, but I think it's around Wednesday on the EU servers.
Argali

Postby Argali » Sat May 29, 2010 1:31 am

Levantine wrote:ITT: Aubad finds a new game to ego over.

It's fine, he a n00b anyway for buying anti-melee boots against a team with 2 casters, and a caster/melee hybrid.
Argali

Postby Aubade » Sat May 29, 2010 11:24 am

Argali wrote:
Levantine wrote:ITT: Aubad finds a new game to ego over.

It's fine, he a n00b anyway for buying anti-melee boots against a team with 2 casters, and a caster/melee hybrid.

Yeah that was before I realized there were Anti-caster boots.
Lay off =]
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Argali » Sat May 29, 2010 12:07 pm

There's actually no anti-caster boots T_T
I wish there were.

Mercury's have magic resist and anti-CC. It's not the same as armor+dodge, but then again all spells auto hit, so meh.

Problem I'm having is that people tend to surrender when one side is way better than the other, so the only way to get 20+ kills in games I've been in to have 15+ deaths too.
Argali

Postby Vixxy » Sat May 29, 2010 12:39 pm

I just started playing this game yesterday, and so far I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I never played DotA, and never really got into any sort of online RTS/Deathmatch type games (I tunnel vision under pressure >.<), I've always leaned more towards co-op or PvE style games. I seem to be doing decently well at this though, but I have this looming nervousness about what the game is going to be like in higher level games.

I played a few practice games against bots the first few summoner levels to kind of figure out items and the game itself, and I guess it helps you learn to lane properly. Nothing really prepares you for a *real* mid/late game though. The first real game I played we won almost by defualt, the other team had two players quit or d/c during mid game, and I did horribly myself. The second game we got slaughtered. Soon as mid/late game hit, the other team grouped up and tore through two sets of turrets and two inhibitors in a matter of seconds, and killed us all off with ease. Nothing prepares you for that the first time, haha.

Played a few games after that and won them all. I need to work on my strategy a little more, but mostly I lane until 8 or 9 (which is late, I know. I just feel so squishy until then) then start grouping up where the enemies are concentrating their attacks. I might need to switch champions for that strategy though. I've been playing Akali (I love her playstyle, but I don't jungle or gank enough mid-game, and late-game I tear off from the group and kill turrets when the opportunity presents, instead of just sticking to other champions).

My only complaint so far is that champions are so expensive to buy. I guess I'll have to learn a new one when the next set of free ones switches?

Also what's the deal with all the low levels summoners that *really* know what they're doing. As far as I can tell each account is just a single summoner. Are they simply people with more than one account? They seem to know every champion and item builds and such so well, whereas I leveled up to 6 or 7 just playing enough practice games to learn one or two champions. >.<
Vixxy

Postby Argali » Sat May 29, 2010 1:15 pm

Don't forget that while LoL isn't DOTA, it is based on DOTA so basics carry over. And you can create as many accounts as you want, so you can smurf. But everyone has an ELO rating, so overall it should be alright, as you get better.

Just play a lot. Get better.

The n00b heroes tend to be <1k, and the really really awesome ones tend to be 6k. It does encourage you to cough money up to get heroes fast, but I've had iron willpower and only own 3 heroes.

Don't worry about points, until you get to summoner lvl 20, and you need runes that cost a tonne, you get a lot of leftover points tbh. I'm summoner level 19, bought Annie for 1k, Katarina for 3k, Akali for 3k, just tier 1 runes, got 5k+ sitting around atm, about 3 games a day.
Argali

Postby Vixxy » Sat May 29, 2010 2:16 pm

Do your actual kill/death/assist stats actually affect you in any way? Other than making you look good on a baseball card, of course. I just had a pretty interesting match. My early/mid game was pretty bad. I hit 10 or 11 with only 1 kill, no deaths, but 7 or 8 assists, since someone else kept getting the killshot. Ended the game with 12 kills, 14 assists, and only one death (I got greedy and wanted to kill an enemy with one of the buffs, but two more jumped me afterwards. I was in their base, so I couldn't make it into the jungle for safety fast enough). I think if I had been a little more aggressive around turrets and chased down all those 5-10% enemy champions I could have easily gotten a second or third Godlike, but I'm not sure how aggressively Akali's are usually played. The ones I usually face are pretty brutal, but I can usually escape back to a tower in time to live as long as they aren't teamed up with good CC. One of the worst combos I faced in a lane was an Akali and the darkcaster that can snare you (dunno most of the champions' names still).

It might have been one of my better games strategy-wise though. I saved this one guy on my team 4 or 5 times when he was at <10% health and being chased through the jungle by one or two enemy champs. He (my team-mate) wasn't real good at actually killing other people, but I think he was just using a different champion. He was really good with his map awareness and kiting through the jungle to the rest of us when he was otherwise screwed.

edit; I'm also curious as to how much different the 3v3 map would be at my level. Everything I've read says it's significantly more difficult and can be pretty intense on your early game, so I've been avoiding it and sticking with the 5v5. I feel more comfortable in larger teams, even if the rest of the players on my team are terrible (*cough* Alterac Valley *cough*).
Vixxy

Postby Argali » Sat May 29, 2010 3:01 pm

A kill gives you 75% of the xp needed, to level from the guy you killed. E.g., if you killed a level 7 guy, you get 75% of the xp to level from 7 to 8. You also get 300g per kill, 50 on assist. Gold isn't shared, but xp is.

K/D/A factors into your ELO rating, but apparently it's not a large factor, cause healers would suffer otherwise.
Argali

Postby Vixxy » Sat May 29, 2010 3:26 pm

Ah, good stuff to know. Thank you.
Vixxy

Postby Arnock » Sat May 29, 2010 7:06 pm

well, I finally managed to surpass a 1:1 K:D ratio today (without being fed)
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Donut » Sat May 29, 2010 9:05 pm

Ah, man I've been into this game for about 2 months now so fun.
Couple things though imo:

-The random and frequent downtime can get irritating but there is a nice trick to getting into servers when the login screen tells you otherwise. Keep this on the down low but if the server status reads Busy or Offline you can input UP DOWN LEFT RIGHT UP UP DOWN DOWN using your arrow keys and it allows you to get to the login screen.

-There are a number of heros with the heavy caster nukers set up that is similar but not quite 100% like the Lina Inverse the Slayer from Dota. Try Ryze, Annie, or Vieger and see if you like (Annie is generally regarded as the most powerful of these 3 if you care)

-If your schedule doesn't allow for frequent gaming and you do not feel like dropping a few bucks on hero packs I would definitely suggest holding off on purchasing a hero until you have tried it when he/she is offered free (10 new free heroes are available every 7-10 days) This is so you don't waste your ip because of ...

-Runes! Every time you level up, you unlock 1 rune slot in your rune book for a total of 30 runes per page. There are four types : Red = Marks, Blue = Glyphs, Yellow = Seals, Big Black = Quintessences. Runes add a flat amount of stats to your character and come in 3 levels of potency (at level 10 you unlock the second level of runes and at level 20 you unlock the third and most powerful level). I really think that its better to simply save ip until at least level 20 before you buy runes and then jump straight to the level 3 ones. Yes you can upgrade lower tier but they really don't add enough stats to make a discernible difference in gameplay (plus the overall cost to upgrade to a higher tier is more than simply buying a higher level rune flat out), and by level 20 you should have a good handle on what type of stats you want to pursue.

-One of the things about runes that confused me a bit when I first started is the primary and secondary functionality of runes.
Red runes generally favor attack stats (Dmg, Crit, Crit dmg, Arm Pen, etc) Yellow favors ultility( Dodge, HP regen, mana regen, +HP, armor, etc) and blue runes favor magic/ability stats (Ability power, Cooldown reduction and Magic resist), Quints don't favor anything in particular and give a huge boost to stats but you can only have 3 of them equipped. What this means is that say for instance you buy a armor penetration glyph (blue rune). Since armor penetration is not a stat that blue runes favor you get less of it than you would an armor pen mark (red rune) ex. level 3 arp mark is 1.8 arp and the level 3 arp glyph is .6 arm pen, big difference. So you have to make that choice - stack 1 stat very high inefficiently or balance. Also proper use of the filters in the store make the difference in stats stand out very easily - think before you buy.

I've been 30 for a good while now and would love to add some MTadin goers to my friends list - Look me up I'm Donuty (US server) and feel free to ask questions I'd love to help or talk strats. See you in the league!
Donut

Postby Vixxy » Sat May 29, 2010 11:02 pm

So I tried Annie a few games tonight since I seemed to have some bad luck with Akali...didn't go so well. We won both games, but I certainly didn't feel like I was helping nearly as much as I should have been as that character. I didn't get as many last-kills as I should have early game, but the biggest problem I seemed to have was group fights in late game. I just felt like I was a sitting duck as soon as I got targeted. I think I need to practice my stun timing better.
Vixxy

Postby Argali » Sun May 30, 2010 7:35 am

Annie is very good early on, since she does very good burst. However, she does not scale well since her AP ratio is not very good, you'll get more damage stacking MR penetration/reduction. She's squishy because she doesn't have an escape mechanism, don't let her high hp, and armor/magic resist ability fool you.

But she's awesome because she can aoe stun, and that wins games.
Argali

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games