Solo tanking as a Paladin

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Solo tanking as a Paladin

Postby Liver » Tue May 18, 2010 4:36 pm

Did not know where to put this. I put it in off spec as it is an off spec to me.

I am a holy paladin, in mainly 264 / 251 gear. I will always be a main specced healer.

I did, however, level as a protection a couple of years ago. I was wondering what kind of instance I can successfully solo now.

So I can get pretty much any ilevel 232 gear via badges and running the heroic Ice Crown instances.

I am wondering what tanking spec, glyphs and enchants would you all do for STRICTLY solo instance running. I have seen some videos on Youtube, but they don't delve into the spec, glyphs, enchants or rotation.

I was thinking about when I leveled as prot (for the AOE), that I had a shield spike and high block. So much has changed since then (that was before WOTLK).

So as a start I was thinking of the Emblem of Triumph protection gear, 232 Axe with Blood draining enchant, dual heirloom haste / healing trinkets. What other advice or experience can you fill me in on?
Liver

Re: Solo tanking as a Paladin

Postby lythac » Tue May 18, 2010 4:47 pm

What instances are you trying to solo as what you need varies a fair bit -

Wrath Heroics?
Wrath Normals?
TBC Raids?
Vanila Raids?
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Liver » Tue May 18, 2010 10:32 pm

I'm looking to solo (ideally) Wrath heroics. Not all of them, just some of them. Some where the mobs can be controlled.

Also I'd love to solo a bit of Karazhan. I think that would be fun.

Tonight I solo'ed normal Drak Keep. That was fun, looking to bump it up a notch.
Liver

Postby Kelaan » Wed May 19, 2010 9:44 am

You can solo a lot of Karazhan. Some of the bosses may be more of a challenge than others. (I don't know how well you can do Opera, for example. You can surely solo Moroes by now, though.)
Kelaan

Postby Liver » Thu May 20, 2010 9:44 pm

been watching some content on youtube, but it doesn't go into glyphs or skill placement. tanking for solo is different than tanking for raiding. survivability is present in both, but I think that solo becomes a dps and survival as opposed to tps.
Liver

Postby Shoju » Fri May 21, 2010 6:22 am

In my normal tanking spec, I can solo

ZG - All
MC - All
AQ20 - (I can't get the bug guy or ossirian, but I know others have)
AQ40 - I have done the first 4 bosses so far. Skeram is a very tedious fight.
BWL - Broodlord and the three drakes after him. You cannot solo Razorgore or Vael
Kara - I have soloed all of it except Shade of aran and Netherspite (who isn't soloable) in my normal tanking spec. Aran is too much damage to heal through while still getting the DPS in him to beat his enrage. Yes. He has an enrage. And YES. It hurts very much
Doomwalker
SSC - Tidewalker and I've been working on Lurker
Wrath - Most normal dungeons pre-TOC/ICC PoS normal up to Tyrannus. I wasn't able to get him solo.
Wrath - Heroics: DTK, Nexus, UK, HoS (brann event is more fun solo), HoL up to loken.

I was previously a ret paladin so I have a very very nice ToC10 ret set that I will use to snag pieces from to get more dps when I need it.
Shoju

Postby Liver » Fri May 28, 2010 9:51 pm

Shoju wrote:In my normal tanking spec, I can solo

ZG - All
MC - All
AQ20 - (I can't get the bug guy or ossirian, but I know others have)
BWL - Broodlord and the three drakes after him. You cannot solo Razorgore or Vael
Kara - I have soloed all of it except Shade of aran and Netherspite (who isn't soloable) in my normal tanking spec. Aran is too much damage to heal through while still getting the DPS in him to beat his enrage. Yes. He has an enrage. And YES. It hurts very much
Doomwalker
SSC - Tidewalker and I've been working on Lurker
Wrath - Most normal dungeons pre-TOC/ICC PoS normal up to Tyrannus. I wasn't able to get him solo.
Wrath - Heroics: DTK, Nexus, UK, HoS (brann event is more fun solo), HoL up to loken.

I was previously a ret paladin so I have a very very nice ToC10 ret set that I will use to snag pieces from to get more dps when I need it.

NICE! I'm working on MC attunement at the moment. Want some of the enchants. I solo'ed Moroes the other day and picked up Massacre. It was nice. I had to get attuned to Kara and then run it. Very fun.

I have a decent holy set (mainly 264), and I also have some decent ret pieces. I got the entire 232 tanking set and its been nice.
Liver

Postby Levantine » Fri May 28, 2010 10:51 pm

Mongoose.
Levantine

Postby Kelaan » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:07 am

Liver wrote:NICE! I'm working on MC attunement at the moment.

In case you (or others) have not done it yet:

Quick guide to 70+ MC attunement

Get quest from Lothos Riftwalker.
Run to BRD. If you don't have the key, get one. ;) It makes it easier, but not by a lot.
Go through the left (locked) door.
Run past the patrolling elemental, hang right.
Head for the door. You can skip pretty much everything, but sometimes a dog will stray too close. Not a big deal.
Go through the LARGE double doors.
Run straight down the hallway of fire elementals. You may need to kill the last two, I forget.
Jump in the lava.
Fire resistance aura + sacred shield + the occasional FoL means you can pretty much swim in the lava.
Swim northwest to the first island, then to the next island, then to the ground under the large bridge.
Go up the ramp, cross the bridge, kill stuff.
Get the core fragment from the wall.
Go in the green portal. You don't need to be attuned in order to enter the zone, but you do need to be in a raid.
Step back outside, and talk to Lothos Riftwalker. Turn in your quest. "Attunement" means that he will port you there, instead of you needing to swim through BRD. ;)

This lets you skip pretty much all of BRD, and leverages your ability to resist, absorb, and heal all the fire damage from the lava. It's unwise to try this strategy at a low level, but you can even do it at 60 if you have a dedicated healer. (Though, you need to use the terrain at the edge as much as possible, and may need health pots.)
Kelaan

Postby ulyssez » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:41 pm

Shoju wrote:

Which 4 in aq 40 did u solo. Skeram is best done with boe level 80 nature resist gear to help. Skeram, Sartura and fankriss(with a bit of luck) are doable, but after that u should be stuck. You can't do bugs, visicius, huhu, or twins. Ouro isn't available til after twins, but he is soloable.

Other bosses that can be done: shade and nether from kara, alar from TK the eye, heroic mgt which drops mount. Level 60 world dragons can be soloed, ones with +60seconds to all abilities debuff take a long time. Doomwalker in front of BT can be soloed.

For gearing i use mostly tank gear, but swap trinkets and librams for more dps sometimes. Also i have macro to swap to a sp weapon then cast SS, then go back to dps/tank weapon.
ulyssez

Postby Vaxas » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:08 pm

I can confirm most if not all kara can be solo'd. (Exception being neatherspite, although it is 2 mannable with another prot pally. Just take turns in the green beam and get ready to live through his enrage) Mage guy is mostly luck based. The only time I have successfully done it is when he polymorphed me back to full health. CHESS sadly seems to be near impossible for me to solo....I fail at chess...Prince is easily done by yourself.
P.S. all of this was done in a mix of 10-25 man Icc lvl gear. Happy soloing and GL getting the Reigns of Nightmare to drop!
Vaxas

Postby Liyalai » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:50 am

Actually registered to post this, but Netherspite is actually soloable, relatively easily. All that it requires is for you to run into the room while he is patrolling, drop a consecration in the path and then run out the room. If the consecration pulls him, then he'll run through the door to you, negating the entire beam part of the fight. Then you just have to tank him against, say, the bookcase so he doesn't knock you off the ledge and to your death.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIMHv2W8pUc , a death knight doing it, though as said you can do the same with consecration.
Liyalai

Postby ginga-uk » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:14 am

Did Aran as Prot, after failing at ret. (bad wings timing meant that I couldn't bubble to go get the elementals)

Did Netherspite as ret... Basically it's a race to burn him down before the beams appear a second time. You take all the beams the first time, by tanking him right over by the window (beyond where the blue beam will spawn). I gave up trying to do it as prot.

Chess can be solo'd but you need to be lucky. Start with the king (hero), then drop immediately and grab the queen. use the queen to burn down the other sides queen and healers. If your unlucky with the cheats you'll lose, it'll reset and you have to try again. Otherwise you're probably ok.

Magtheridon is a nice one to solo. (500-550g worth of rewards). It'll be a challenge until you have fairly high gear levels. Things to remember are: a) clear all trash first. b) tank in a corner so a) you don't lose dps time by being knocked back. b) None of the adds can sneak behind you.
ginga-uk

Postby Punkss2 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:48 am

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ ... =viewtopic

Here is a list of some of the stuff thats been soloed and links on how to do it. Enjoy!
Thinking of starting WOW again....
Punkss2

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes