Remove Advertisements

HoW or just stick with 969?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

HoW or just stick with 969?

Postby Galektra » Thu May 27, 2010 7:54 am

I’m always tempted to throw this in there when the boss gets low, but I can see that it screws up the rotation. Should I just resist the urge to do this (and also Capt. America) when they are available, and just stick to the usual 969?
Galektra

Re: HoW or just stick with 969?

Postby Shoju » Thu May 27, 2010 9:08 am

I move to HoW in place on Consecration when the boss gets low, mainly because of the 'burst' vs dot. I don't know if that is the right thing to do, but it is what I do.
Shoju

Postby bldavis » Thu May 27, 2010 9:11 am

Shoju wrote:I move to HoW in place on Consecration when the boss gets low, mainly because of the 'burst' vs dot. I don't know if that is the right thing to do, but it is what I do.

esp if its a fight like DBS, HoW adds another attack you can do while the beasts are up.

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby theckhd » Fri May 28, 2010 6:30 am

bldavis wrote:
Shoju wrote:I move to HoW in place on Consecration when the boss gets low, mainly because of the 'burst' vs dot. I don't know if that is the right thing to do, but it is what I do.

esp if its a fight like DBS, HoW adds another attack you can do while the beasts are up.

Cons is still more damage than HoW, so unless the boss is literally going to die in 4 seconds, it's a DPS loss to sub HoW for Cons.

In the case of saurfang, you'd want to sub HoW for HotR when beasts are up so you don't have an empty gcd. Your rotation is unchanged otherwise, as HotR is the only ability that can screw up beasts.

I generally start subbing HoW in for Holy Shield as long as I'm not in significant danger. It's basically a wash for anything else.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Fridmarr » Fri May 28, 2010 12:22 pm

theckhd wrote:I generally start subbing HoW in for Holy Shield as long as I'm not in significant danger. It's basically a wash for anything else.

Exactly. Remember the "standard" 969 isn't designed to be the absolute max in threat, it's designed to be the max in threat while keeping 100% holy shield up time. If you aren't worried about the boss killing if you if holy shield is down, then you can substitute some of our other instant attacks for it.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Chicken » Sat May 29, 2010 2:51 pm

theckhd wrote:
bldavis wrote:

Cons is still more damage than HoW, so unless the boss is literally going to die in 4 seconds, it's a DPS loss to sub HoW for Cons.

In the case of saurfang, you'd want to sub HoW for HotR when beasts are up so you don't have an empty gcd. Your rotation is unchanged otherwise, as HotR is the only ability that can screw up beasts.

I generally start subbing HoW in for Holy Shield as long as I'm not in significant danger. It's basically a wash for anything else.
Out of curiosity, how many HS procs would be needed for it to overtake HoW? Or is it simply a case of HoW always doing more damage than the maximum potential damage HS has? I'm mostly thinking of bosses with very fast swing speeds here which are nevertheless not particularly threatening, Deathbringer Saurfang being a good example, at least around times when you aren't substituting HoW for HotR already.
Chicken

Postby theckhd » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:03 am

Chicken wrote:Out of curiosity, how many HS procs would be needed for it to overtake HoW? Or is it simply a case of HoW always doing more damage than the maximum potential damage HS has? I'm mostly thinking of bosses with very fast swing speeds here which are nevertheless not particularly threatening, Deathbringer Saurfang being a good example, at least around times when you aren't substituting HoW for HotR already.

Four (3.31 if you want exact ratios):

Code: Select all
    Calculation with SoV procs included in ability damage
    Ability  Damage    Glyphed   TPS    Glyphed
    ShoR      4423        0     1897        0   
    HotR      5151        0     2210        0   
    Cons      4197        0     1200        0   
    JoV       3613     3916     1033     1120   
    AS        2750     5501      197      393   
    HoW       3739        0     1604        0   
    HV        5914        0     1015        0   
    HS        1131        0     1039        0   
    Melee     1543        0     2223        0       

But keep in mind that you likely only have a 45% chance to block, which means that in a 9-second period, you'd need to take around 9 attacks on average to break even. So for a boss like DBS, you might break even - iirc he's a 1.2-second swing after JotJ. DBS is sort of a special case though - you'll probably want HS up while tanking him for defensive reasons anyway, and you'll always get a gain by subbing HoW for HS when he's on the other tank. For a slower boss, HoW will generally win.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Return to Basic Training & Talents