Making Gold on the AH

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Making Gold on the AH

Postby bldavis » Tue May 25, 2010 10:20 am

thanx for the tips!

like i said, ill be ing checking out the AH for the next few days to see what sells

on the plus side, i have my lock up tpo 450 alch/herb so i should be able to start selling transmutes and flasks.

and as far as WG, at least on Drenden, there seems to be less opposition when we are in control.
plus that is when i farm the life and fire eternals.

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby daemonym » Tue May 25, 2010 10:22 am

Shyrtandros wrote:
ceela wrote:
daemonym wrote:There's a lot of people that are dual gatherers and go there for the lower competition and ti's also a prime spot for eternal farming of any kind if you control WG. And since there's almost always a bunch of rich saronite nodes in the area people tend to pick up a ton.

I'm curious why WG control is necessary to farm saronite there; I thought the only benefit one got was the Revenant elementals. I do play on a PvP server though so maybe there's just much more ganking risk on a PvE server if you're not in control?

I would also like to know why WG control matters for farming. I spend hours when I'm bored in WG no matter who is in control.

If you don't control it, the other faction is very likely ganking or doing WG quests to kill NPC's or players and the random gathering quest. The main reason is if you don't control WG you won't see any revenants spawn. The thing that makes them special is the extremely high crystallized drop rate. If you want eternals and nothing else, they're the things to farm.

http://www.wowhead.com/npc=30877
http://www.wowhead.com/npc=30875
http://www.wowhead.com/npc=30873
http://www.wowhead.com/npc=30872

While the controlling faction is farming between one spawn group and the next they'll likely try to kill you on sight if you cross their path. And of course you can't farm the mbos unless you're in control.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby Shyrtandros » Tue May 25, 2010 10:45 am

daemonym wrote:If you don't control it, the other faction is very likely ganking or doing WG quests to kill NPC's or players and the random gathering quest. The main reason is if you don't control WG you won't see any revenants spawn. The thing that makes them special is the extremely high crystallized drop rate. If you want eternals and nothing else, they're the things to farm.

http://www.wowhead.com/npc=30877
http://www.wowhead.com/npc=30875
http://www.wowhead.com/npc=30873
http://www.wowhead.com/npc=30872

While the controlling faction is farming between one spawn group and the next they'll likely try to kill you on sight if you cross their path. And of course you can't farm the mbos unless you're in control.

Really? so you cant farm the elemental guys unless your faction is in control? I normally just farm mining myself so I guess I wouldn't really know this.. Can you not see the elementals then or something?
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby sahiel » Tue May 25, 2010 10:51 am

Correct, the large elementals (revenants) with the high drop rates are only in phase for the faction that controls WG, the other faction can stand on top of one and be unable to see or interact with it in any way.
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby Arnock » Tue May 25, 2010 1:17 pm

so I'll wait on the level 80 scrolls for awhile, bought a bunch of dust last night at around 2g each, and it looks like we have a wannabe monopolizer who just bought and reposted all the dust at 5.5g each, guess it's time to make some money =P
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby rodos » Tue May 25, 2010 6:46 pm

daemonym wrote:
rodos wrote:As for price < mats, there's quite a few markets in Lightbringer that have been driven down to this, or very close.

It doesn't matter what you paid for mats, what matters is what THEY paid for mats. Here's what I mean. If I buy the materials for ITEM at 20g and they later on spike up to 50g I can still sell an ITEM for 30g and be making a profit. It's all in the timing. This is how I'm able to sell buckles, titansteel (xmute mastery helps here too), and epic threads among many other things for well below the "normal" material price. I'll stokpile a few hundred eternal fires when the price is 15g and once they go back up to the standard 25-30g I can undercut everybody by a ton and still be turning a good profit while everyone else either tries to scrape by with 2g profits or stops listing all together. Either way it makes other potential sellers shy away and makes buyers much more loose with the proverbial purse strings and I get a bit more coin to toss onto the pile.

What I wonder is, if the market has matured to the point where you need to wait for under-priced mats in order to craft at a profit, why not just flip those under-priced mats and save time pressing the crafting buttons? Is it just a case of diversity being good? If I got some cheap Eternal Life I can re-list 1/2 at the normal price and turn the other 1/2 into Shining and Brilliant Spellthread and make money on whichever sells?
rodos

Postby daemonym » Tue May 25, 2010 7:58 pm

rodos wrote:
daemonym wrote:
rodos wrote:As for price < mats, there's quite a few markets in Lightbringer that have been driven down to this, or very close.

It doesn't matter what you paid for mats, what matters is what THEY paid for mats. Here's what I mean. If I buy the materials for ITEM at 20g and they later on spike up to 50g I can still sell an ITEM for 30g and be making a profit. It's all in the timing. This is how I'm able to sell buckles, titansteel (xmute mastery helps here too), and epic threads among many other things for well below the "normal" material price. I'll stokpile a few hundred eternal fires when the price is 15g and once they go back up to the standard 25-30g I can undercut everybody by a ton and still be turning a good profit while everyone else either tries to scrape by with 2g profits or stops listing all together. Either way it makes other potential sellers shy away and makes buyers much more loose with the proverbial purse strings and I get a bit more coin to toss onto the pile.

What I wonder is, if the market has matured to the point where you need to wait for under-priced mats in order to craft at a profit, why not just flip those under-priced mats and save time pressing the crafting buttons? Is it just a case of diversity being good? If I got some cheap Eternal Life I can re-list 1/2 at the normal price and turn the other 1/2 into Shining and Brilliant Spellthread and make money on whichever sells?

Not so much as needing to wait, but just being more wise to do so. You can make some good coin just flipping the items sure, no doubt about that. But the profit margins are usually bigger when selling a crafted item, even with deep under cuts. Also it's the 'work now, play later' mentality at work. Low prices are the best weapon you have to fight off a camper. So if you have a problem with them you'll have to lower your profits to get rid of them now, so that you can have fun with big profits later.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
daemonym

Postby ceela » Wed May 26, 2010 2:57 am

daemonym wrote:
bldavis wrote:i play on a pve server, and i never go to WG unless were in control or im doing my fishing daily there.

there is almost always a pack of horde just hovering by our FP and will gank you if you even attempt to gather anything.
there are also patrolling horde just looking for an easy gank

but yes its the relevents that are the only perk to having WG other then VoA oc...

Same here even if I'm ret spec at the time which is the go to class to turn a PvP noob into a train wreck even though ret is terrible for high end arenas. Plain and simple no matter hwo godo you are it's going to be pretty hard to win a 2v1 scenario which you'll find very often even on a pve server. And of course it's fun to go ganking now and again, but there's always a ton after a WG battle ends. Just hand out there even if you own it and see how long it takes for a rogue to find you alone hehe.

I find it vaguely amusing that Wintergrasp appears to be safer on PvP servers. I've skilled up two gathering characters at level 70 on normal speed mounts in Wintergrasp under enemy control. I don't think either of them were ganked once, and we're heavily outnumbered hordeside. I guess when you can world PvP wherever you like, you don't need to stalk Wintergrasp so much.

daemonym wrote:Yes nodes are indeed incidental, the only supply of 500 stacks are from the 1-2 UF each server has. For the WG they're an added bonus when farming the revenants for eternals.

Can we have some of your UF on our server? 36 auctions for saronite up currently, and half of those are in stacks of 5. :( All our farmers left about a month ago, I think.
Ceela <XW> Neptulon-EU
Ceela | Emeta
ceela
Maintankadonor

Postby vertinog » Wed May 26, 2010 4:59 am

There is definitely a goblin on my server. Looked on the AH this morning to see if I can find some Northrend herbs or Ink of the Sea for my inscription research. Not a single ink and all the herbs were running between 100g and 400g a stack. My guess is that someone bought out all the cheap herbs and all the inks for their business and no one was on yet to resupply.
vertinog

Postby Tyrfing » Wed May 26, 2010 9:20 am

So I myself started the project from the ground up that daemonym started. I literally have 8 hours of played time currently. I picked up herbalism and inscription. I also got 2 guild signitures for a total of 10g. I had about 13g when I went to the AH. Just from what I farmed and made from inscription. I sold 50 armour vellums for 55g. I bought 2 stacks of one herb, milled it for dusky pigment I think it is? Can't look it up at work. But I found it cheap and got 2 stacks for 13g total. I made 11 glyphs out of it and sold them for 7g 50s each so ended up with roughly 80g just out of that. I sold the power word shield glyph and Rejuvination glyph. I then found a book of glyph mastery for 10g and flipped it for 30g. SO I started out with nothing and spending like 15 minutes at the AH I made from the origanl 13 from questing and guild signitures...I've made 142g for a total of 155g at lv 12. So so far I am doing good, lets see if it keeps up.

Edited: For spelling corrections.
Tyrfing

Postby arrigo » Thu May 27, 2010 8:56 am

I know when I first started playing WOW on a druid that is now stalled in the 70's I choose to do herb/inscription because a friend told me it was a good pair. I didn't play the AH just herbed and made glyphs doing my minor glyph inscription at every point.

My friend had shown me the wonders of Auctioneer so I had that and I would only make glyphs that sold for more then 5 gold, I had a couple of hundred gold by the teens, and started buying ink because I couldn't herb fast enough while leveling to keep up with demand. I bought dual-spec at 40 and riding levels as soon as I hit them plus even bought some cheap epic gear in trade chat for when I hit 80, though I turned it around in the AH for a profit cause I couldn't resist. by the time I abandoned him at 60 to start a pally to level up with my wife's first character he had a ton of gold just sitting on him that I used to level up both mine and her character. I quit the glyph game cause I wasn't interested in making money as much as leveling at the time but I was making a couple thousand a day without maxed inscription.

I've recently leveled him up to 65 to cap it off and started making money again, though I found about 300 stacks of cheap adder's tongue (like 3-4g a stack) one night and spent 20 minutes clicking buy out and a couple of hours milling it al then went AFK making inks and made about 10k off the nobles cards alone.
arrigo

Postby Arnock » Thu May 27, 2010 1:26 pm

well, just powerleveled my aspiring lock up to 315 tailoring, at he wont be a gold sink anymore.

Unfortunately, netherweave bags aren't nearly as hot as they were on arthas. 4-5g stacks of cloth and 8-10g bags. Still decent though.
Arnock

Postby halabar » Thu May 27, 2010 3:18 pm

rodos wrote:What I wonder is, if the market has matured to the point where you need to wait for under-priced mats in order to craft at a profit, why not just flip those under-priced mats and save time pressing the crafting buttons? Is it just a case of diversity being good? If I got some cheap Eternal Life I can re-list 1/2 at the normal price and turn the other 1/2 into Shining and Brilliant Spellthread and make money on whichever sells?

The thing is, the market always changes. All you need is one farmer to leave, and the market can shift.

It's server dependent, and depends greatly on if you have some chinese that are dumping mats at 6:00am every day, or just some kids that dump mats when they get done farming after school.

I've recently found on my server when selling the mats it's best to price in the middle, because the low end will get sucked up in waves, and then yours will sell as well.

It also depends on the pressure on those crafted items. Buckles are usually flooded on my server, I don't bother. Gems used to be flooded, but a lot stopped posting actively. I may get back into that market, esp with the 20% buff, more people will be getting gear.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby daemonym » Thu May 27, 2010 3:50 pm

Arnock wrote:well, just powerleveled my aspiring lock up to 315 tailoring, at he wont be a gold sink anymore.

Unfortunately, netherweave bags aren't nearly as hot as they were on arthas. 4-5g stacks of cloth and 8-10g bags. Still decent though.

Decent? Hell I got excited as hell when I got 3g profit from a bag. I pay 4g for the cloth as well and normal price is 6-7g. The thing is though, If I list 40 bags for 24 hours, only 4 or so won't get bought and the rest were turned into shiney gold coins.

daemonym

Postby Arnock » Thu May 27, 2010 5:47 pm

well, I first did the netherweave bag trick a couple months ago on my old mage on arthas, high pop server and there was only like... 1 other player who actively posted the bags.

I'm just kinda wondering whether I'll be able to unload the bags on a lower pop server.

EDIT: Guess my worries were unfounded, sold all 25 since my last post.
Arnock

PreviousNext

Return to General