Reckoning viable for tanks in Cata?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Reckoning viable for tanks in Cata?

Postby Skye1013 » Tue May 18, 2010 10:33 pm

So, as the subject states, I'm curious if anyone thinks reckoning (assuming it remains as is) will be a viable pick up in Cataclysm with the changes to the parry system (ie. removal of parry gibbing), might be a way to help with single target threat (not that it'll be an issue, we'll have to wait and see I guess :P). I'm sure there are some other talents out there that people have been avoiding for minor reasons that may or may not be getting fixed. Feel free to use this thread to discuss them.

*Note: not 100% if this is in the right category, since it deals with Cataclysm and not current specs, so sorry if it's in the wrong place.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Re: Reckoning viable for tanks in Cata?

Postby Fridmarr » Tue May 18, 2010 11:25 pm

It's really too early to say. I'd guess from what we know right now, it should work a little better with tank avoidance being kept a bit lower and the removal of parry haste, we just don't know what we are comparing it too yet.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby lythac » Wed May 19, 2010 2:12 am

With changes to tank HP, damage intake, healing output and efficiency Divinity becomes a awesome talent better use of points in the current tree than Reckoning.

Everything will change, but Divinity > Reckoning by a long way in Cata.

Threat at the beginning of an expansion is normally cake as it can't be gear dependent therefore I can't see Reckoning worth it for the first tier of raiding as we should have no threat concerns and want full out survivability.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Skye1013 » Wed May 19, 2010 3:00 am

lythac wrote:With changes to tank HP, damage intake, healing output and efficiency Divinity becomes a awesome talent better use of points in the current tree than Reckoning.

Threat at the beginning of an expansion is normally cake as it can't be gear dependent therefore I can't see Reckoning worth it for the first tier of raiding as we should have no threat concerns and want full out survivability.

Really my only argument here is that I don't necessarily want to know if it's better over X talent, because well, with the removal of various talent choices thanks to the mastery system, I have a feeling we'll have plenty of free points, unless they plan to actually replace every talent that gets removed...
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby lythac » Wed May 19, 2010 3:11 am

I agree with the free points. But for first tier of raiding my free points will go in -

Utility > Minor survivability talents >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Threat
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby theckhd » Wed May 19, 2010 10:36 am

Reckoning is a viable talent right now in some encounters and gear sets. It's still not great though, simply because it's weaker than other options we already have available. As to its viability in Cataclysm, there's a lot of "ifs" to consider.

It will get better
-if they buff it slightly to make it a smaller point investment (i.e. 3 points for the full benefit)
-if they remove other competing talents, like Crusade, One-handed weapon spec., Divine Strength, TbtL
-if they get rid of fast tanking weapons and/or encourage us to use slow DPS weapons
-if they make bosses swing faster, or keep the ~1-second swing speed we have in ICC

It will get worse if
-they nerf it (obviously)
-they buff other competing threat talents
-they continue to encourage us to use fast tanking weapons
-they return boss swing speeds to the ~2-second range like previous instances
-they give us enough other juicy utility talents that it's not deemed worth the loss of other stuff (unlikely)
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Fridmarr » Wed May 19, 2010 3:50 pm

Skye1013 wrote:
lythac wrote:With changes to tank HP, damage intake, healing output and efficiency Divinity becomes a awesome talent better use of points in the current tree than Reckoning.

Really my only argument here is that I don't necessarily want to know if it's better over X talent, because well, with the removal of various talent choices thanks to the mastery system, I have a feeling we'll have plenty of free points, unless they plan to actually replace every talent that gets removed...
Well, then there's no question it's worth taking, because by your definition there's no opportunity cost. However, I have a hard time believing that will be the case. You will be comparing reckoning to either another DPS/TPS raising talent, a utility talent, or a survival talent, so it will matter how the numbers come out. About the only time that isn't true is when you need to spend points in order to progress up the tree.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Dorvan » Tue May 25, 2010 1:29 pm

Yeah, it seems like a bit of a silly question to me. It's trivially true that taking Reckoning is better than simply not spending the points at all. Whether it's better than alternatives? Well, we're in no position to make even the wildest guess on that front right now.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Return to Basic Training & Talents