Basic about Indestructible Potion

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Basic about Indestructible Potion

Postby samsara » Tue May 25, 2010 2:07 am

Hey ho hey maintankadins ;)

as a retired tank and now druidhealer i've missed alot stuff about pala-mt-ing. My old main, prot pally still tanking 10 man icc but i think dmg income in 10 and 25 is not compareable (allthough i still use 2 * indestructable on fights with massive physical dmg like festergut hc)

As i'm in the small team of people who look through the logs to find things which could be done bether i found out that our tank is not using indestructable potions ... now, he actually died about 10 times on festergut 25 hc bevor we were able to kill him.

When i asked him why not using those potions he told me that runic health pot is better than indestructable. So now i couldn't find some math that tells me that i'm or he's right. I still believe that 4 minutes +3500 armor is more worth on physical dmg then 2700-4500 health restore, quite obvious. But as i'm not an active 25 man tank and as i would not accept an answer like "Just believe it because i say it" myself a bit of math would be helpfull to open his (or my eyes).

thx in advance ;)
samsara

Re: Basic about Indestructible Potion

Postby hoho » Tue May 25, 2010 2:15 am

Healing is reactive, armor is passive and preventive. You can't use potion after getting 3k overkill but armor pot might just have lowered damage intake enough so that this 3k wouldn't have killed you.
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby Barathorn » Tue May 25, 2010 2:39 am

Short answer, my gut feeling is that he is wrong, you are right.

A health pot seldom saves you from dying unless you have ninja reflexes. An armor pot will often negate enough incoming damage for you to survive.

I seldom use them because generally as the OT I needed to keep runic mana potions ready but if I am called upon to MT for any reason I always use them for physical fights. Wherever possible I use warlock cookies for damage spikes leaving my potion choices open.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Boyfriend » Tue May 25, 2010 2:44 am

If you are at 40k armor taking an armor pot will reduce damage you take by 5.8% while it lasts.

Code: Select all
Dr40: Damage Reduction @ 40k = 40000 / (40000 + (467.5 * 83 - 22167.5))
Dr43.5: Damage Reduction @ 43.5k = 43500 / (43500 + (467.5 * 83 - 22167.5))

Difference = 1-(1-Dr43.5)/(1-Dr40) = 0.058

If the boss does more than 77k physical damage to the tank during the duration of the armor pot it will have prevented more damage than the health pot heals.

Code: Select all
4500 / 0.058 = 77k

Since festergut hits for over 35k with 3 stacks, an armor pot will prevent the same damage a healing pot heals every 2 hits. Or prevent about 1.5k damage per hit.

Also what hoho said, it's preventive so it can prevent the tank dying, while healing is after the fact; which is not helpful if the previous hit was deadly due to lack of armor.

TL/DR: It is ludicruous to ever use healing potions as a tank. It is so incredibly situational you'll probably get more use out of an [Unconscious Dig Rat] in your back pack.
Boyfriend
Maintankadonor

Postby lythac » Tue May 25, 2010 2:54 am

Boyfriend wrote:TL/DR: It is ludicruous to ever use healing potions as a tank. It is so incredibly situational you'll probably get more use out of an [Unconscious Dig Rat] in your back pack.

Hmm, I read about the rat for rogue Patchwerk solo, can it be used in combat and can it be used to refresh DP?
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Boyfriend » Tue May 25, 2010 3:14 am

Not sure if it can be used in combat; but I'm pretty sure you can refresh DP with it since you can with all other critters.
Boyfriend
Maintankadonor

Postby Ardrhyst » Tue May 25, 2010 11:54 am

Boyfriend wrote:Not sure if it can be used in combat; but I'm pretty sure you can refresh DP with it since you can with all other critters.

This is brilliant.
Biggest Game Hunter, as well as collector of pets and mounts. Currently hunting paladins' former glory.
Ardrhyst
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue May 25, 2010 12:51 pm

Ardrhyst wrote:
Boyfriend wrote:Not sure if it can be used in combat; but I'm pretty sure you can refresh DP with it since you can with all other critters.

This is brilliant.

Given the mechanics of the dig rat and the 10 second window, I wager this is more trouble than it's worth.

(use item -> hit rat -> loot rat). The GCDs involved are almost half the DP duration.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Return to Basic Training & Talents