Low TPS

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Low TPS

Postby Chandie » Sun May 23, 2010 7:21 pm

Hi guys, ive been an avid reader of maintankadin for a long time but ive never run into anything that could not be solved easily. Well, I have abit of a dilema atm. My TPS is very low and I cant figure out for the life of me how I can boost it. The guild's top DPSers are always at 90% or more just hungering for more TPS and I cant give it to them! :(

If you guys have any suggestions or feed back it would be extreamly appreciated!

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-s ... details/3/ World of Logs
http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... cn=Chandie WoW Armory

Thanks alot!
Chandie

Re: Low TPS

Postby schwadorf » Sun May 23, 2010 11:36 pm

I'm not a pro at reading charts and logs but by looking at your armory, I can see that your Expertise is way below the cap. Having 26 Expertise (which is the soft cap that removes dodges from attack table completely) might massively boost your threat.
schwadorf

Postby Chandie » Mon May 24, 2010 2:15 am

It's not that masivley, I'm missing 2 experties (Glyph of Vengance Ftw) And yes I am aware of this, however missing 2 experties cant be that big of a TPS loss can it? :) Cheers!
Chandie

Postby Epimer » Mon May 24, 2010 2:48 am

0/3 Crusade.

Check out the spec guide in the Talent Spec sub-forum and go 0/53/18 and you'll see a noticeable TPS increase.

Glyph of Holy Wrath is useless for single target TPS too (because you shouldn't be using it). Glyph of Judgement or Avenger's Shield will be single target TPS increases, too, but speccing into Crusade is going to the biggest bang for your buck.
Epimer

Postby Chandie » Mon May 24, 2010 7:25 am

Yeah, I had 3/3 cursade before, but It was requested that I spec into divinity (as my gear is quite low compaired to the encounters). So there is no way I can grab hold of crusade now. I swap out the glyphs before bosses, Wrath one is for trash :).
Chandie

Postby Epimer » Mon May 24, 2010 8:21 am

Whoever's requesting that you spec 5/5 Divinity for anything other than LK25H is almost certainly overestimating the difference it makes in keeping you alive. Send them here to search "Divinity" and read the discussion around it. You're going to continue to feel pressed for threat while you're missing 3 talent points in one of the most effective threat talents available to you, so I think you're either going to have to accept that you're not going to be leaps and bounds ahead of your DPS while speccing 5/5 Divinity, or educate whoever it is that's making you spec that way.
Epimer

Postby Barathorn » Mon May 24, 2010 8:31 am

Epimer wrote:Whoever's requesting that you spec 5/5 Divinity for anything other than LK25H is almost certainly overestimating the difference it makes in keeping you alive. Send them here to search "Divinity" and read the discussion around it. You're going to continue to feel pressed for threat while you're missing 3 talent points in one of the most effective threat talents available to you, so I think you're either going to have to accept that you're not going to be leaps and bounds ahead of your DPS while speccing 5/5 Divinity, or educate whoever it is that's making you spec that way.

I agree with Epimer.

I have taken it for granted you are getting Misdirects and Tricks but is that the case?
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Chandie » Mon May 24, 2010 8:42 am

Yeah, I am taking missdirects and tricks, thing is im the offtank so they most often get used on the maintank. But whenever theres one up and available I guess I get it. The thing is we have some people pulling 14k DPS on fights and it worys me, makes me think that I'm doing something wrong when I cant keep up with them.
Chandie

Postby Barathorn » Mon May 24, 2010 8:55 am

Chandie wrote:Yeah, I am taking missdirects and tricks, thing is im the offtank so they most often get used on the maintank. But whenever theres one up and available I guess I get it. The thing is we have some people pulling 14k DPS on fights and it worys me, makes me think that I'm doing something wrong when I cant keep up with them.

I don't think it is your fault in honesty, 14k is a lot of threat but I would recommend you speak to someone like Meloree on these forums who might be able to help.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Epimer » Mon May 24, 2010 9:07 am

Another take on it: if you die often, you might need to look at survivability talents (of which Divinity is a poor one, but for the sake of the argument, let's pretend it's not), but if you threat-cap the DPS, you might need more threat talents.

In the log you posted you died once during that raid, on LDW25H. You took a Deathchill Bolt and a (partially blocked) melee hit, received no direct heals in the next two seconds, took another melee hit, received only a poxy Riptide (plus some HoT ticks) then got hit by two more Deathhill Bolts and a Necrotic Strike. So you weren't topped off before taking some magic damage plus an ability that absorbs 20k healing, the healers didn't even react to that to clear the debuff (by spam healing you), and the remainder of the indirect heals (plus a whole Regrowth) you got were absorbed by the Necrotic Strike debuff until you died.

Your healers got you killed there, and you'd be dead with or without Divinity. Otherwise, you didn't die all raid, but you did have threat issues. Which makes Crusade more valuable to you than Divinity.
Epimer

Postby golfinguy » Mon May 24, 2010 9:37 am

I noticed yet another way to make the Divinity request go away. Something appears to be wonky with your rotation, as Holy Shield uptime is very low and does not seem to be a regular button in your rotation - thats not good 969.

Keeping this up will help your healers more than divinity ever would, and blocks provide some threat too so its not a wasted button in any case.

So, get Crusade and stick to the 969 better - IMHO.
golfinguy

Postby Chandie » Mon May 24, 2010 9:45 am

Chandie wrote:
golfinguy wrote:I noticed yet another way to make the Divinity request go away. Something appears to be wonky with your rotation, as Holy Shield uptime is very low and does not seem to be a regular button in your rotation - thats not good 969.

Keeping this up will help your healers more than divinity ever would, and blocks provide some threat too so its not a wasted button in any case.

So, get Crusade and stick to the 969 better - IMHO.

The reason holy shield isent up all the time is that alot of it im not tanking, just soaking damage. As the OT I only really tank for afew rounds then ussualy just soak or go behind and dps. And there isent any point in keeping holy shield up when DPSing. But yeah, I should indeed keep it up abit more, I'm so stressed for threat it becomes something secondary. (Yes I'm even poping Holy Wrath ext to try to get some more TPS.) Thanks for the spot! :)
Chandie

Postby Meloree » Mon May 24, 2010 9:45 am

That parse doesn't have you tanking in any of the easy ones for evaluating threat, so I couldn't figure out rotation problems at a really quick glance. What fights did you have threat problems on, I'll dig into more detail?

Other than rotation: Your gear looks way out of balance. You're over hitcap, and very very low on armor. Look at some of the badge pieces to increase survivability - specifically armor. That will reduce your damage taken and improve your healability much more than Divinity, and get you back to a standard 53/18 spec, which is your best bet for at least 10/12 ICC25H. Consider putting an agi/stam (shifting) gem in your helm for the +12 stam bonus, and replace the nightmare tear in your legs with 30 stam.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Chandie » Mon May 24, 2010 9:49 am

Well lets take lichking for example. The encounter started and I slamed an avengers shield on him, ran up to him and put out some TPs (100-150k). Then I went to position him properly and before he had even moved (he was casting defile) he turned around and gibbed a warrior who had over agrod. Happend both in 25 and 10. ><'
Chandie

Postby Chandie » Mon May 24, 2010 9:53 am

Also about my gear, yeah it is compleatly unbalanced. This is a pretty new charecter and I havent been able to get enough frost badges for all my needs yet. I went from doing ICC 10 11/12 -> 9/12 Heroic in ICC25 and 10. So my gear will be a mess untill i get things sorted with it. Hitcap, cant do anything about it, comes with the gear. Id love some more experties and arrmor. But they will come with time. It might be a gear issue then that my threat isent sufficient?
Chandie

Next

Return to Basic Training & Talents