Remove Advertisements

Making Gold on the AH

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Making Gold on the AH

Postby vertinog » Sat May 22, 2010 7:21 pm

daemonym wrote:
vertinog wrote:I think I have recently made the mistake of jumping into a market on my server before I did any research on who the "top" dogs are. Following Daemonym's blog posts about inscription and how to setup quick auction I have been able to make around 50g a day off of inscription, with a lot of reposting. Currently people are selling Glyphs for less then 1g though which is way under the cost to make. I also am not at 450 inscription yet (350ish right now) and leveling it on my DK while he levels.

The problem with my server is that most of the people that post things on the AH camp it and undercut within a half hour. My play time limits when I can post auctions so I tend to just get what I get.

Bolded the problem. With glyphs you need to know like 90% of the recipes through books and daily research. The trainers only teach you a select few that are profitable in addition to the 3 recipes that are sold in dalaran. Glyphs are all about quantity of sales, not the quality. I didn't start really making money on glyphs with my priest until they were almost done with outland so don't be too put off right away. You have barely even scratched the surface of the glyph industry.

Thank you for the words of encouragement and guidance. I got a little discouraged when I noticed people posting glyphs for 80s each and was wondering how they are making any profit at all. Time is money and gathering is time. 80s just isn't worth my time to farm and make things. I will keep on track to getting my inscriptionist to 450. Currently at 359.
vertinog

Postby Arnock » Sat May 22, 2010 11:01 pm

I've always had issues selling enchant scrolls. Seems like almost noone on my server buys them, they instead petition one of the hundreds of /2 [enchanting] FREE WIT MATZ! spammers. Berserking scrolls barely listed above material price will sit on the AH for over a week before selling. and since BG xp was introduced, I haven't even seen a twink. I'll get relatively consistant sales on enchants used for BoA weapons, but other than that, there's just not much demand for enchant scrolls at all.

Llane has an... interesting economy. I can rake in 500-2k per day on glyphs, but there's barely enough herbs on the market to support my industry. I'll clear the AH of icethorn, adders tongue, tiger lily, and deadnettle almost daily, and when I go through to do my weekly crafting, half the time I'm 3-400 ink short. I used to make a decent profit off of ammunition sales, but with the introduction of epic ammo, the profit and demand are both just too low to justify making them.

I've tried selling introductory epics, but the only things that ever sell are inscription offhands, the engineering gun took over a month to sell at only 50g above material price.

Any attempts I make to diversify outside of inscription just seems to fail.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Pizbit » Sat May 22, 2010 11:44 pm

Looked at buying low level herbs for the inks instead of using the ink trader? Or are the only ones selling using Ink of the Sea?
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby Arnock » Sun May 23, 2010 8:10 am

I buy out any low level herb that goes for less per herb than icethorn, and most inks on the AH are 4-5g each, which I can't justify buying.
Arnock

Postby sahiel » Sun May 23, 2010 2:11 pm

Obviously, I don't know your server economy so the advice may be misplaced, but two scrolls I simply cannot stock enough of are Chest: Super stats and Boots: Icewalker. Both are used by every form of dps, caster and melee, the mats for both are truly trvial and on a good day I can sell 20+ of each of them for 75g per, the worst days it's down to 25g per... which still a decent 15g+ profit per scroll.
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby daemonym » Sun May 23, 2010 8:01 pm

vertinog wrote:I will keep on track to getting my inscriptionist to 450. Currently at 359.

SCRIBE! SCRIBE! SCRIBE! SCRIBE! SCRIBE! SCRIBE! SCRIBE! SCRIBE! SCRIBE! SCRIBE! SCRIBE! SCRIBE!

OK now that my obligitory nerd rage is satisfied for now, just focus on getting up to 425 so that you can start using glyph books. If you get divine plea, life tap, or any other standard glyph you'll be in there. And if you see them down to like 4g a glyph don't worry, they'll be up to 20 in a day or two trust me.

Arnock wrote:I've tried selling introductory epics, but the only things that ever sell are inscription offhands, the engineering gun took over a month to sell at only 50g above material price.

Bolded the problem. Nobody buys titansteel or spellweave gear anymore, they just get their lazy ass in greens and heirloom gear carried through heroic forge and such these days. Craft ToC epics, I always have stunning profits from the plate DPS and cloth DPS gear. I'm not sure about ulduar patterns though as I can't make them currently. My best sellers are titanium razor plate, spikeguards, and merlin's robe.

The scribe offhands though will always sell well because there's a plethora of awesome 1h weapons and the only option (pre raid that is) besides the BoE ones you craft is in heroic HoR. And we all know how fun that place can be with a pug.

sahiel wrote:Obviously, I don't know your server economy so the advice may be misplaced, but two scrolls I simply cannot stock enough of are Chest: Super stats and Boots: Icewalker.

Prime advice here. Also make a fistful of exceptional spellpower to gloves, those I can never keep up on the AH even listing 6 at once some nights. Another cheap scroll to make is greater speed, healers and DPS alike love this enchant so it's in high demand and only takes about 70ish gold to craft on my server (cosmics at 15/ea dust at 30/stack). And lastly, depending on how many power miners your server has, if the price of eternal earth is cheap armsman to gloves makes me great money as well.

And if you're not able to sell a crusader, fiery, or 15 agility enchant I feel terrible for you and your server's lack of alts with loose cash =(
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby Skye1013 » Sun May 23, 2010 11:49 pm

Arnock wrote:since BG xp was introduced, I haven't even seen a twink. I'll get relatively consistant sales on enchants used for BoA weapons, but other than that, there's just not much demand for enchant scrolls at all.

The definition of a "twink" has changed quite a bit, thanks to BG xp and BoA items... but if you can get the +29/30 SP, crusader, life drain, +15 agi, and fiery weapon enchants, then you should be able to make a decent amount for the new "twink". Only ones of those my enchanter can't do yet are the SP and agi, but crusader makes some decent money, especially since you can do a run of strat live and get a min of 2 righteous orbs (assuming you don't just buy from the AH) and a ton of Large Brilliant Shards (I have at least 6 stacks just from DEing boss blues going from 1/2 honored to exalted with AD)
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby ceela » Mon May 24, 2010 3:21 am

Having my own fun trying to break into enchanting on my server, as there's at least one guy who spent all yesterday afternoon camping me and relisting. That and sta on bracers apparently sells for less than mats cost, which I admit confuses me (guess a lot of people are either supplying their own mats, or undercutting blindly).

I think we had a few major accounts on our server either hijacked or selling out over the weekend, as there was a massive flood of raw gems and primordial saronite, and the latter still hasn't stopped crashing. I made some nice finds by using auctioneer's "search by seller" to pick up other bargains, which I'd recommend if you find someone selling a few things very cheap.
Ceela <XW> Neptulon-EU
Ceela | Emeta
ceela
Maintankadonor

Postby amh » Mon May 24, 2010 3:26 am

ceela wrote:I think we had a few major accounts on our server either hijacked or selling out over the weekend, as there was a massive flood of raw gems and primordial saronite, and the latter still hasn't stopped crashing. I made some nice finds by using auctioneer's "search by seller" to pick up other bargains, which I'd recommend if you find someone selling a few things very cheap.

Not necessarily a good idea. The GMs trace all sales and such when accounts get hacked. You're more than likely to lose everything you bought if it turns out it was from a stolen account. Remember reading one case where a player created a thread on the official forums, and wondered why the hell he couldn't ride his chopper any more. Turns out a few of the materials used to craft it were from a stolen account.

Edit: Note to self: Check prices before randomly buying gems with badges. Dodged a metaphorical bullet there. Stupid overflooded market.

I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby ceela » Mon May 24, 2010 5:44 am

Yeah, I'm leaning more towards "selling out" than hijacked in this particular case, as he was selling both uncut and cut gems. There was a more suspicious guy flogging all sorts of random stuff and weird prices that I steered clear of (and ticketed a GM for, in fact), though his horrific english when I whispered him didn't help his case.
Ceela <XW> Neptulon-EU
Ceela | Emeta
ceela
Maintankadonor

Postby Jasari » Mon May 24, 2010 5:56 am

I just wanted to reply to give props to daemonym's blog. After reading through some of his techniques, I went from making about ~1k gold per week to making over 10k gold per week while literally only logging in for about 30 minutes on weeknights to post auctions (my only real playtime these days is on weekends) and only having access to a 450 JC, Enchanter, Alchemist, and Tailor. It's all really easy and intuitive but just takes confidence that making big investments in raw materials will turn around into huge profits.
Jasari

Postby Santcuff » Mon May 24, 2010 6:08 am

I've decided to level enchanting on my alt and although it's expensive as hell to level, after I have it leveled I'm going to have incription, enchanting and JC leveled to max so I feel that I can be set to start jumping in.
daemonym wrote:Crazy? I was crazy once...
Santcuff

Postby Arnock » Mon May 24, 2010 9:50 am

daemonym wrote:
Arnock wrote:I've tried selling introductory epics, but the only things that ever sell are inscription offhands, the engineering gun took over a month to sell at only 50g above material price.

Bolded the problem. Nobody buys titansteel or spellweave gear anymore, they just get their lazy ass in greens and heirloom gear carried through heroic forge and such these days. Craft ToC epics, I always have stunning profits from the plate DPS and cloth DPS gear. I'm not sure about ulduar patterns though as I can't make them currently. My best sellers are titanium razor plate, spikeguards, and merlin's robe.

The scribe offhands though will always sell well because there's a plethora of awesome 1h weapons and the only option (pre raid that is) besides the BoE ones you craft is in heroic HoR. And we all know how fun that place can be with a pug.

The problem being that Arnock is an enchanter/engineer, and my only other 80 is alch/scribe. But he's a level 50 something lock and not quite high enough to do high end patterns =P

It's been awhile since I was selling crusader scrolls, but from what I remember, I wasn't getting more than a sell every 2-3 days.

Scrolls just don't seem to do too well on Llane.
Arnock

Postby smiter » Mon May 24, 2010 10:00 am

Had my first succesful EPIC AH flip this weekend. Friday night saw someone listed "rowmans rifle of silver bullets" at 2500, I had always seen this item at around 6K always for sale by the same guy so I assumed it was the same rifle that wasn't selling. That same guy would spam trade chat trying to sell it too so i was iffy but auctioneer said that it was selling for around 6K so i took a risk. I snatched it right up, not sure if someone had misposted it and i just happened to log on at the right moment before they could cancel auction or whatever but I relisted it at 4K and in a few hours had made a quick 1500 (minus AH cut) for no work whatsoever.
smiter

Postby Hokahey » Mon May 24, 2010 10:52 am

On my low population server, I've found better success in selling materials, moreso than selling crafted items. In particular, uncut gems (primarily orange and red) and unsmelted ore (particularly Cobalt, Titanium, Thorium, and Mithril; Silver sells high, but is too unreliable imo).

Broke in to the gem market by trading EoT and honor for gems. EoTs go for Orange (half the EoT cost of Red, sells for roughly 80% of the AH price), and Honor goes for Reds (best seller on my server, always, and all epic gems cost the same amount of honor).

If you're looking for fast easy gold in ore, the route seems to be farming the hell out of Cobalt. It sells for 3g a piece on my server on its *worst* day (and sells *very* well), while Saronite sells for 1g a piece on its *best* (and barely moves even then).
Hokahey

PreviousNext

Return to General