leveling spec...prot / ret?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

leveling spec...prot / ret?

Postby Snakefood » Sun May 23, 2010 1:24 pm

hi guys...i've been scouring the web for advice on levelling a pally tank (mostly lfg, some q's) and have found a mixture of advice, some say lvl as prot from scratch, others say go ret up to a certain lvl, then switch to prot, also found one site saying that here was one of the best sources of pally tank info on web...so wanted to come, say Hi and pick some brains.... :)

*picky..picky..*

My Army: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... Snakespall

I have two of the bta haste trinkies equipped, not sure why they don't show up from armoury.

Could someone please point me in the right direction, what talents I should be taking, and when?

:)
Snakefood

Re: leveling spec...prot / ret?

Postby bldavis » Sun May 23, 2010 1:51 pm

either way is fine for leveling

i personally leveled prot from 10 and despised it, i was always oom, but i could tank anything i wanted with no problems at all.

i would suggest leveling ret, and slapping on a sword&board adn throwing up RF to tank

and oc at 40 get dual spec and go prot/ret from then on.....

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Snakefood » Sun May 23, 2010 2:13 pm

Ta for quick reply..I do have a board/sword combo, am using the heirloom wep with crusader enchant. I was hoping to get some more detailed information on what spec I should use, which talents to go with?
Snakefood

Postby Koatanga » Sun May 23, 2010 4:56 pm

I am levelling a pally on horde side just to have one on each. I'm level 51 now, and have not turned in a quest since I was under level 30.

My leveling spec is Prot, and I level in instances. I can queue immediately all day long. It's a bit boring running the same instance over and over, but the exp is great and the gear you get is much better than quests have to offer.

I have full BoA kit with +15 agi on the weapon.

From when I started him to around level 18, I quested as Ret, and I stayed in the ret tree until Seal of Command. After that, I started tossing points into Prot.

My best tip is "don't get mad, get even". If someone annoys you for any reason in an instance, let them know it, and why, in party chat. If they continue, vote to kick them. The group will side with the tank 99% of the time. They need tanks a lot more than tanks need them, thanks to our insta-queue.

Once you get a group, my next-best tip is to continue to queue with that same group until they get tired of it. It makes things fast and easy.

By the way, gold is pretty good that way as well - I have over 900 without trying.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Snakefood » Thu May 27, 2010 12:40 am

Cool, nice info..I've just hit 20, so have spec'd ret taking seal of command, will see how tanking goes... :)
Snakefood

Return to Basic Training & Talents