Remove Advertisements

Ashen verdict ring

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Ashen verdict ring

Postby smiter » Wed May 19, 2010 9:19 am

Ok so I have seen in forums arguments for both the ring of vengeance and ring of might...I am currently using the ring of vengeance and am wondering if it is actually the right choice? I believe it has one more stat over the might ring...I am about to hit exalted and would gem +20stength so then i would get agility, strength and stamina.

Anyone have some insight on this? I just honestly at my gear level not sure it is gonna matter a whole lot either way (if I am wrong by all means educate me please).

Thanks
smiter

Re: Ashen verdict ring

Postby bldavis » Wed May 19, 2010 9:27 am

i actually use the tanking ring, but i have had no threat issues at all for 4+ months (about the time i got 4 pc t9) so i saw no reason to do the dps rings.

i like the idea of using the agil ring and gemming it for str as that would be useful in both my tanking and my dps set.

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby smiter » Wed May 19, 2010 9:37 am

bldavis wrote:i actually use the tanking ring, but i have had no threat issues at all for 4+ months (about the time i got 4 pc t9) so i saw no reason to do the dps rings.

i like the idea of using the agil ring and gemming it for str as that would be useful in both my tanking and my dps set.

Ok forgot to mention, I am now full out main spec DPS, I can tank in a pinch up to plaugeworks wing but I am not nearly as geared tankwise as our best geared tanks. I do still go as tank for instant random ques and have actually just set up a tank set for heriocs that does serious dps. At 535 defense and wearing a few ret gear peices, titanium shield spike and use blessing of might and ret aura...so fun to out dps most of the dps...

So the idea of the agility ring with strength gemming actually does make sense as you pointed out above...but in terms of straight out dps I am wondering if I have chosen the wrong ring
smiter

Postby Kelaan » Wed May 19, 2010 9:47 am

What does Rawr say? (or other retribution sim spreadsheets)
Kelaan

Postby bldavis » Wed May 19, 2010 9:47 am

is there a ret spreadsheet like femaledwarf is for hunters?

should be able to plug in diff gems/enchants and find out what your dps could be, and compare that to the str ring.

Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby smiter » Wed May 19, 2010 9:50 am

Iv'e actually never used any rawr/spreadsheets at all.
smiter

Postby bldavis » Wed May 19, 2010 9:53 am

smiter wrote:Iv'e actually never used any rawr/spreadsheets at all.

i waslike oyu, but ever since farfhd linked femaledwarf i have been addicted! granted some of it comes down to like 10 dps, but when swithcing a weapon or enchant its suprising what the difference could be.

and so far its suprisingly accurate

bldavis

Postby smiter » Wed May 19, 2010 9:58 am

FYI according to retributionpaladins.com the agility ring is actually a bit more DPS than the stength ring...about 15-30DPS (WOW HUGE DIFFERENCE HAHA)they cite elitist jerks and personal recount experiences with both rings.
smiter

Postby bldavis » Wed May 19, 2010 10:01 am

smiter wrote:FYI according to retributionpaladins.com the agility ring is actually a bit more DPS than the stength ring...about 15-30DPS (WOW HUGE DIFFERENCE HAHA)they cite elitist jerks and personal recount experiences with both rings.

hmm ty

bldavis

Postby smiter » Wed May 19, 2010 10:13 am

is femaledwarf a hunter thing? Just wondering since I have a soon to be 80 hunter. I have been scouring the AH for cheap ilvl200 gear, picked up icestriker cloak and a pair of mail hands today for about 400gold combined. I don't want to spend a fortune gearing up because I know how easy getting gear is with random running and emblem farming etc...but I would like to skip hours of NORMAL instance grinding.
smiter

Postby bldavis » Wed May 19, 2010 10:16 am

smiter wrote:is femaledwarf a hunter thing? Just wondering since I have a soon to be 80 hunter. I have been scouring the AH for cheap ilvl200 gear, picked up icestriker cloak and a pair of mail hands today for about 400gold combined. I don't want to spend a fortune gearing up because I know how easy getting gear is with random running and emblem farming etc...but I would like to skip hours of NORMAL instance grinding.

yes female dwarf is a hunter dps spreadsheet

you can load your toon from the armory, or pick your race/profs and set all your gear/talents/pet from scratch.

you acn also use a "dps scratchpad" to save results while comparing gear/spec/rotations over all its really easy to use, and helps alot!

femaledwarf.com
edit: fixed the link
Last edited by bldavis on Thu May 20, 2010 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

bldavis

Postby lythac » Wed May 19, 2010 10:18 am

Yeah the agi ring is a slight DPS upgrade. The only reason not to use it is if you are a 10 man raider and do not always have BoK last I checked.

It comes out stronger (as do some other agi items) due to there being 5 stats on agi items compared to only 4 on str items. The way itemisation works is you get penalised (for lack of a better word) the more of a stat there is on an item. So spreading the points between 5 stats yields more stats than just 4. Now the stats are not as good (1 Str being better than 2 AP) but as you have more of them sometimes they are better.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Kelaan » Thu May 20, 2010 10:46 am

smiter wrote:Iv'e actually never used any rawr/spreadsheets at all.

http://www.codeplex.com/rawr

Get it, install it, use it. Load your character from the armory (wear your real set), and look at items in various slots. You can filter items by instance they come from, or by item level, or even whether they come from hard modes. (I don't bother to look at items from hard modes, since I'm not in a raid team that can get them.)

ElitistJerks.com's paladin forum will have spreadsheet links which may be more accurate, but Rawr is a very good first pass of analysis. It will show you that changing trinket X for Y is a huge increase, or that Darkmoon Card: Greatness is better than your ilevel 232 item, or that 2x T9 (even ilevel 232) is still good until you can get 4x T10.
Kelaan

Postby smiter » Thu May 20, 2010 11:12 am

Yea I probably should use it. But I totally missed out on T9 set gear hit 80 soon after WOTLK release then took well over a year off only got back into playing about 4 months ago or so.

So far 3pcT10 and GS just under 5600 in ret gear. Ran VOA 25last night and was top dps on Toravan at about 8K (not too shabby highest I have ever seen on him was 10K by a DK with Heroic ICC25 gear from top progression guild on realm)

I was like number 4 or 5 on Koralon (lose some aoe since no frozen orbs to get with DS)

Trash in ICC10man the other night was hitting about 13K with wings and cooldowns...averaged was over 10K for all first wing trash.

Can't wait to get 4pcT10 and see what I can do in 25man

after buying T10 helm then need to buy cloak and find a good replacement for my 226 neck piece /cry
smiter

Postby rodos » Mon May 24, 2010 11:15 pm

The ring is a bit of a special case, because you can swap it at any time, but in general I'm mostly staying away from agi gear on my Ret set because I don't want to be screwed when 4.0 hits (and I want to plow through the low level Cata mobs like I did when I hit Northrend in my crappy Ragesteel-and-Gorehowl set).
rodos

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes