Remove Advertisements

Defense Rating, Defense Skill and Integer Step

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Defense Rating, Defense Skill and Integer Step

Postby Neptuno » Sat May 15, 2010 12:43 pm

perhaps exceeding the level of math people like to use, but it should be pointed out for those who go with defense/stam for a good yellow socket, there's occasionally situations where the defense rating provide an additional integer step possibly making it worth it for lower bonus values of stam:

this isn't a common setup, nor worth the gold investment to bounce around gems in older pieces when you get new ones at the lower gear levels (and at higher levels, most have the tier 10 helm with its handy meta-unlocking red for 12 stam bonus too), but it's a situation that arises with defense rating and can often change which socket is the best for matching and the integer setup is something that's not really addressed in any of the guides or topics that i've seen here.

if you start at the following values of rating and add 10 more rating, it boosts the integer defense skill by 3:
600,654,659,718,723,777,782,836,841,900,905,959,964,1018,1023,1077,1082,1141,1146,1200

range of 600-1200 - below defense cap to probably in excess of anub block sets (my block set's at 1115 def rating, so 1200 seemed out of reach for the gear balance toward block value as well).
*used 4.9185 rating/skill point using the value listed on tankspot
equations used: A=(rating/4.9185) B=A+(10/4.9185) and finally C=INT(B)-INT(A) which yielded either 2 or 3 as the result.

like most theorycrafting, this is just crunching numbers with some assumed values, so the 4.9185 could be 4.918499 and we just don't know it yet, so if you have a toon that can verify a data point, please let me know.
it appears that it repeats every 300 rating with minor variance that could be due to the constants being off or that openoffice doesn't carry enough decimals (it appears to be limited to 15 significant digits)

for the tl'dr crowd: the point to all this is that occasionally if add 10 more defense rating, it pushes you up 3 defense skill instead of just 2 thus possibly shifting the benefit of certain gem sockets.
Basically, it asks a new question: If 2 defense skill isn't worth gemming, is 3 defense skill worth it if you only lose 6 stam (9 stam bonus)?
Neptuno

Re: Defense Rating, Defense Skill and Integer Step

Postby Awyndel » Tue May 18, 2010 8:08 am

Perhaps exceeding the level of simplicity ppl like to use but:

- We don't know if the integer on the sheet is the actual value used.
- This theory only applies to your last gem. If you believe the sheets value to be the correct one it is of course completely viable to base your last gems decision on this. Could become expensive with gear swapping though, but min maxing is always an expensive hobby.
- This is all asuming you're using any defense gems at all, wich is not very common.
Awyndel

Postby theckhd » Tue May 18, 2010 8:49 am

I believe Xenix worked out the breakpoints somewhere in this thread, where we were discussing the optimum way to choose avoidance stats.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby lythac » Tue May 18, 2010 8:56 am

Ah the doughnut theory thread.

I don't remember it being shown either way. We know how to test it, but I don't think anyone ever did and with defense going away in cata it seems a bit pointless to find out for gearing purposes. Might be interesting to know.

Would mean it works in the opposite way to Expertise, which does not.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby theckhd » Wed May 19, 2010 10:28 am

The other problem is that we rarely balance around a single gear set. I have 5 or 6 gear sets for ICC alone, swapping pieces in and out depending on what is needed for the fight. So my defense rating will fluctuate from fight to fight, making the kind of fine-tuning necessary to hit the "efficiency breakpoints" impossible. I could hit it for one gear set, but it would just be off for the next gear set.

Couple that with the constant upgrade treadmill (rarely are we in full BiS such that we're not replacing an item every week or two), and it just reaches an reward/effort ratio that's too low to bother with.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations