Remove Advertisements

[10 Ony] Many Whelps! strat/info

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10 Ony] Many Whelps! strat/info

Postby Auracle » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:09 pm

Hey folks,

My guild managed to get this one down finally this week, on our second serious chain of attempts. Last weeks ended in failure, due to timing of the whelp spawning.

It's not relevant to the post, but as an aside - does anyone else find that the obscene amount of whelps causes a bunch of disconnects? I swear the disconnects were causing more trouble than the mechanics of the actual achievement, we had to change our raid comp several times to find a tank/healer combo that wouldnt DC right after whelpspawn.

Anyway, the point of this post is to provide some reference points for people chasing the achievement, since it does seem to be a bit of a bitch.

Composition (people who DCed on or halfway thru spawn are marked with 'DC'):
Tanks - DK (DC)/Pally
Healers - Priest, Pally, Shaman (DC)
DPS - Boomer (DC), Rogue (he did most of the whelp DPS), Enh Shaman, Hunter x2 (1 DC)

What we did
Onyxia will turn and begin to move towards the front of the cave (i.e., where you enter from) when she hits 65 - 66% health. At this point, everyone but your two whelp spawners moves into the centre of the room and stacks on top of the Pally/DK Tank.

We had two people spawning whelps, one on either side. We tried with one (just the rogue, using his speedboost) last week and it didn't work (while we cant confirm that it was becuase 1 person is too slow, we didn't want to take the risk again). So we used two, the rogue and the enhancement shaman. By the time Onyxia had reached the front of the cave and was turning to lift off, our spawners were in position in front of the cave mouths. The second Ony's feet left the ground, the rogue called and both spawners popped movement buffs and charged in. After a count of 6 - 8 seconds, they turned around and came back out. On only one occasion the whelps aggro'd to and killed the shaman, on all other occasions they simply ignored the spawners and ran out towards the centre cluster of raiders.

Both DK and Pally tanks laid down their aoe aggro abilities, and the whelps aggro'd nicely onto them. The Pally healer waited for about 5 - 7 seconds (tank damage is minimal until there are 50 or more whelps in the area) popped bubble and Divsac, and nuked Holy Light on one tank, with the other beaconed. Since the shaman healer was DC'ed only the priest and the Pally healer were active during the bulk of the whelp damage. At its peak, incoming damage on the tanks was almost, but not quite catching up with the healing, presuming tanks using CDs, etc.
Whelps were alive for between 20 and 30 seconds, with the rogue and one hunter doing the bulk of the damage on them. To give you an idea, the rogue topped out at 47k dps. On our successful attempt, the DK tank managed to stay connected, and was able to pick up the big add as it spawned.

Once the adds are down the fight returns to its normal tank and spank. I'm reasonably sure that an entire team of non-DCing people could complete this with comparative ease, but until I play with one, I wont know for sure.

TL;DR - 2x spawners (one either side) enter the whelp caves when Ony's feet leave the ground, use movement buffs, turn back after 8 seconds. Get 2 tanks, 2 heals and 2 aoe capable dps that dont DC. Whelps should be down or nearly down by the time the first big add is incoming.

Good Luck!
Auracle
Auracle

Re: [10 Ony] Many Whelps! strat/info

Postby Donahu » Thu May 13, 2010 3:55 am

Still getting this DC issue but I thought the whelps had to be spawned within the first few seconds of engaging her. This way makes much more sense I suppose since you won't be tanking her and all the whelps.

Anyone have any suggestions to fix the dc issue?

It'd DC ALL 10 every single time. Not a single person would ever live :(.
Donahu

Postby Belloc » Thu May 13, 2010 9:40 am

First thing you should do is have everyone turn off all unnecessary addons (recount, GEARSCORE). If the problem persists, figure out how to completely disable the combat log.

If the problem hasn't disappeared yet, your raiders need better computers.
Belloc

Postby Donahu » Thu May 13, 2010 8:58 pm

Anyone know how to completely disable the combat log?

I know how to turn it on and off but I'm not sure that disables the information being sent to my computer.

And it's definitely not my computer or connection causing the issue. Has to be server-side, specially since so many have the issue :P.
Donahu

Postby Boyfriend » Fri May 14, 2010 1:20 am

Mass disconnects are almost certainly an addon issue. Get SpamFu to monitor addon traffic, and just check what's going on in a 'normal' encounter. It's enough if one person in the raid has an addon that freaks out when 100 whelps spawn to make everyone disconnect.
Boyfriend
Maintankadonor

Postby Belloc » Fri May 14, 2010 10:08 am

Donahu wrote:Anyone know how to completely disable the combat log?

I know how to turn it on and off but I'm not sure that disables the information being sent to my computer.

And it's definitely not my computer or connection causing the issue. Has to be server-side, specially since so many have the issue :P.

You have to right-click on your combat log chat tab, go into the settings, and then delete everything, more or less.
Belloc

Postby Donahu » Fri May 14, 2010 7:09 pm

Boyfriend wrote:Mass disconnects are almost certainly an addon issue. Get SpamFu to monitor addon traffic, and just check what's going on in a 'normal' encounter. It's enough if one person in the raid has an addon that freaks out when 100 whelps spawn to make everyone disconnect.

Wait. Other people's addons can impact *MY* computers performance? I know some addons talk to each other and spam information back and forth which can cause that but I had never heard of some addon that only one person had that can cause issues with mine. Hrm. I'll look into that and see if some are spamming me when I don't have them installed somehow.
Donahu

Postby Boyfriend » Mon May 17, 2010 6:29 am

When either your send or receive buffer on the server overflows it will disconnect you.

For this issue it's mostly the servers send buffer that might overflow, it contains all the information the server still wants to send to your computer but has not confirmed that you've received yet.

Now a very spammy add on by another player will cause the server to send you more information (generated by that add on) now if your internet connection is not capable of receiving all this information fast enough (this might be a temporary lag spike that would go unnoticed otherwise) the server side send buffer will overflow and you go byebye.

What addons by other players will do if they are spammy is they will make the server send you more information, making it overflow faster this means there will be less tolerance for lag before you get disconnected.

Assuming a super spammy addon X, if 25 people in the raid use it; it might cause everyone to disconnect as it's so spammy that no internet connection can handle it.

Now half of the players uninstall it and stop using it, now it might only disconnect everyone with ping over 200, as people below that can handle it.

If only very few use it, it might only disconnect those with computers that already have issues with the hundred whelps but that would be fine otherwise.

I think there was an addon called AddonSpamFu which would tell you how much information you'd get from each player/addon in your raid.
Boyfriend
Maintankadonor

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon