Shadowmourne chain

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Shadowmourne chain

Postby Vasilissa » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:01 pm

Lately these days I play role of retribution paladin in raids, while tanking from time to time. Thus I took up a quest for Shadowmourne. After delivering 1000 souls I'm at the stage where I have to imbue weapon with 3 elements. So I have 3 questions:

1)Unholy - I will need to imbue weapon while controlling abomination (I already did it few times, so don't expect any difficulties even I have to spend 100 energy at some point). However our kills on Putricide are tight right now, so I'll be tanking on this fight. My question is - after imbuing weapon do I have to wield it till the end of the fight? Or can I simply switch to mace & shield?

2)Blood - kill BQL, while being a subject of Blood Mirror. I need a suggestion here - as I need to be wielding Shadow Edge maybe ret spec + prot gear would be the way to go?

3)Frost - this I expect to get in full frost gear (4 pieces) and run in to get hit by the breath (4 times).

Would be nice if you could correct me or tell me how you did that. Many thanks in advance.
Vasilissa

Re: Shadowmourne chain

Postby Treck » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:55 pm

Vasilissa wrote:1)Unholy - I will need to imbue weapon while controlling abomination (I already did it few times, so don't expect any difficulties even I have to spend 100 energy at some point). However our kills on Putricide are tight right now, so I'll be tanking on this fight. My question is - after imbuing weapon do I have to wield it till the end of the fight? Or can I simply switch to mace & shield?

I think you have to have the weapon on you when you enter the abom, not sure if you have to have it in p3.

Vasilissa wrote:2)Blood - kill BQL, while being a subject of Blood Mirror. I need a suggestion here - as I need to be wielding Shadow Edge maybe ret spec + prot gear would be the way to go?

You only need to soak Blood Mirror for 2-3 sec, have your tank shieldwall or so so the damage you take isnt that big. After that its not much of an issue, just get bitten by the first person (given your not bitten by BQL herself first) then bite 3 more, and kill the boss.

Vasilissa wrote:3)Frost - this I expect to get in full frost gear (4 pieces) and run in to get hit by the breath (4 times).

Use the 3 pars, thats more than enough, and use some kind of CDs when taking the breaths GS/SW/PS, you just have to take 4 in the fight iirc, not in a row.
Treck

Postby Rhiannon » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:57 pm

What's tight about your Putricide kills? Overall enrage, or meeting dps requirements of the last phase? If it's the former then yeah, you probably ought to tank so you don't have two tanks attempting to loldps in the first two phases. As far as I know there's no problem with switching the weapon out once you've done the infusion, but the two we've run through both DPSed for the encounter so I couldn't swear it.

For Lanathel, the mirror's fairly trivial. Get a pain suppression or shieldwall as you run in on top of your main tank, and then as soon as you've got the debuff move out and let the regualar OT take it (Edit - actually, DR on the soaker has no effect so that would do absolutely nothing - our warrior and dk had no survival issues with no cooldown running then, that means). You only have to have the mirror for a moment to get the debuff. As you'll need to receive the first player-given bite, you'll want to be doing as much dps as possible, so I wouldn't recommend a prot spec. And if your Putricide kills are tight I suspect your Lanathel kills are fairly close to enrage.

We've run a DK and Warrior through the last part, both were full tank gear, though the dk was dps spec, neither in frost res gear but both with resistance flask. No real survival issues, more frost res will make it safer of course. We actually missed it on our warrior as he got his fourth breath too early and didn't bother refreshing it, so the debuff fell off just before she dropped on our progression kill.
Rhiannon

Postby fafhrd » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:30 pm

http://elitistjerks.com/f15/t89289-shadowmourne/ has a ton of useful info on the quests btw.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Vasilissa » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:11 am

Thanks guys for answers. Our pytricide kills tend to be tight because of some people being not fast enough and failing on simple things. On the other hand BQL kills (2 so far) were a lot smoother and we were not too close to enrage. I'll go and check EJ as well. Thanks a lot.
Vasilissa

Postby Belloc » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:27 am

While the Lana'thel part is fairly trivial, I do need to correct an earlier post. Do not waste Pain Suppressions or other cooldowns on YOU. Blood Mirror damage is not reduced by cooldowns. Put those cooldowns on the tank and put a PW: Shield on you.

Now, I do need to say this as well: If your Putricide kills are tight, how are you killing Lana'thel? We kill Putricide with plenty of time to spare, but we only beat the Lana'thel enrage by a few seconds. Having you as the second bite target will probably be a large DPS loss for your raid, which could cause problems.

Figure out if those problems are worth it before you attempt that step of the quest.
Belloc

Postby Argali » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:14 am

Simple answer! People standing in goo, and gas flasks!
Argali

Postby Splug » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:59 am

You need to be wearing the weapon at the start of the encounter, and probably while completing the trigger event (the abomination imbue, being subjected to blood mirror, taking the first breath). I'm not sure if you can take the weapon off after that point or not in the BQL or Sindragosa encounters; the two people we had do the chain were myself and a fury warrior - the fury warrior could titan grip a shield with shadow's edge, and I can tank just fine with a 2h anyway. We do know that you won't be able to use the imbue unless you have shadow's edge equipped when you get into the abomination, and that you can finish the Putricide encounter wearing a shield (the warrior was OT'ing as prot for that one, just had to get into the abom as fury).

The bigger issue was being sure to complete the encounter within 6 minutes of gaining the imbue debuff. If you take the first four breaths on Sindragosa, you need to kill her before the third air phase. Similarly, wait until late into p2 to run the imbue on Putricide. Finally, if you die at any point during the encounter, you will lose the imbue and need to start the fight over again.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Dorianias » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:10 pm

So back when our guilds 1st Shadowmourne reciepiant did his Infusion Quests we were still doing Putricide,Blood Queen, and Sindragosa on normal mode. Well he is a couple shards away from being done but we have since progressed to killing the wing bosses on Hard Mode. Are we going to have to sacrifice a week of progression to complete the Infusion Quests for the next person or are the Quests resonably completable on Hard Mode?
Dorianias

Postby Belloc » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:24 pm

Dorianias wrote:So back when our guilds 1st Shadowmourne reciepiant did his Infusion Quests we were still doing Putricide,Blood Queen, and Sindragosa on normal mode. Well he is a couple shards away from being done but we have since progressed to killing the wing bosses on Hard Mode. Are we going to have to sacrifice a week of progression to complete the Infusion Quests for the next person or are the Quests resonably completable on Hard Mode?

Plenty of guilds have completed the objectives while on heroic mode. That said, the Putricide step may be currently bugged on all difficulties, not sure.
Belloc

Postby Treck » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:46 pm

Dorianias wrote:So back when our guilds 1st Shadowmourne reciepiant did his Infusion Quests we were still doing Putricide,Blood Queen, and Sindragosa on normal mode. Well he is a couple shards away from being done but we have since progressed to killing the wing bosses on Hard Mode. Are we going to have to sacrifice a week of progression to complete the Infusion Quests for the next person or are the Quests resonably completable on Hard Mode?

We recently completed our first Shadowmourne, and our 2nd in line had to do the questline, we prefered loosing a few attempts to it rather than putting it on normalmode.
Putricide took a few tries to get together correctly, but wasnt to much problem with the 10% buff.
On bloodqueen there wasnt any differance.
Sindrigosa he had tankgear, and we chained CDs for the breaths, nothing changing the fight.
Treck

Postby Donahu » Wed May 12, 2010 7:32 pm

I'm in a personal race with a DK off-tank that I pug with to get the 1000 souls and he's already ahead by about 700 due to work...

Anyone know a fast way to gather them? I know a lot of the methods were nerfed (solo-farming entrance mobs with NPC's, rats, etc that no longer count) but I was wondering if anyone knows if they removed the ability to gather souls from the adds in the LK encounter? Or any other things like Precious' zombies? Valithra adds?

Not sure which still work and which don't and I'm stuck at work for the next 4 days+nights 'till I can test 'em out. I just want to know what does work so I can co-ordinate now with some friends to figure out the fastest way to get them. Clearing to Marrowgar and resetting is rough...
Donahu

Postby fafhrd » Wed May 12, 2010 8:42 pm

Donahu wrote:I'm in a personal race with a DK off-tank that I pug with to get the 1000 souls and he's already ahead by about 700 due to work...

Anyone know a fast way to gather them? I know a lot of the methods were nerfed (solo-farming entrance mobs with NPC's, rats, etc that no longer count) but I was wondering if anyone knows if they removed the ability to gather souls from the adds in the LK encounter? Or any other things like Precious' zombies? Valithra adds?

Not sure which still work and which don't and I'm stuck at work for the next 4 days+nights 'till I can test 'em out. I just want to know what does work so I can co-ordinate now with some friends to figure out the fastest way to get them. Clearing to Marrowgar and resetting is rough...

Valithria adds and Lady Deathwhisper adds still give souls. LK adds do not.

Join pugs to farm trash is your best bet. We had to get one guy his souls in a hurry, took one raid clearing up to all the end wing bosses, and several hours of 10 man marrowgar trash farming in shifts to finish in time.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Donahu » Thu May 13, 2010 1:47 am

Thanks a bunch. Will have to make sure to get me a Valithra wipe farm group ^^.

Or maybe a deathwhisper group that fights until enrage over and over.

What about gunship adds?
Donahu

Postby Worldie » Thu May 13, 2010 6:01 am

Shadowmourne is supposed to get souls of undead servants of the Lich King.
On gunship you fight soldiers of the alliance / horde, hence their souls won't work :)
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Next

Return to T10: Icecrown Citadel