Remove Advertisements

4800 GS Pally/ Best Build For Threat???

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

4800 GS Pally/ Best Build For Threat???

Postby zerriah777 » Wed May 12, 2010 2:59 pm

Hey everyone, I've played Ret/Holy for so long that I just have for got what goes into tanking. Now of course I have some experience tanking but I was wondering what the best build would be for threat... I'm only considering tanking TOC and all the raids below that just to get comfortable again with tanking and until I gear to at least 5.3gs. Could someone post a talent build that is best for threat.. My worst fear is being a tank that can't hold aggro. I know rotation has much to do with it but I do have my 969 perfected. I would just like to get the best spec possible to compliment it. Thanks guys and gals!
zerriah777

Re: 4800 GS Pally/ Best Build For Threat???

Postby Koatanga » Wed May 12, 2010 3:08 pm

zerriah777 wrote:Hey everyone, I've played Ret/Holy for so long that I just have for got what goes into tanking. Now of course I have some experience tanking but I was wondering what the best build would be for threat... I'm only considering tanking TOC and all the raids below that just to get comfortable again with tanking and until I gear to at least 5.3gs. Could someone post a talent build that is best for threat.. My worst fear is being a tank that can't hold aggro. I know rotation has much to do with it but I do have my 969 perfected. I would just like to get the best spec possible to compliment it. Thanks guys and gals!

My preference is the 0/53/18 spec, going up to Crusade in the ret tree:

http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc.xml?cid=2&tal=000000000000000000000000000500503502311231133331232151130201200300000000000000

You have some options in the Prot tree - I selected Imp HoJ specifically to have it more available for Anub Arak adds. If you are the add tank there, you will want Glyph of Holy Wrath as well.

That spec with a slow 1-H DPS weapon (one with lots of agi and stam) will make you very threatening indeed.

It's lovely for Heroic dungeons because it gives you Seal of Command (Seal of Cleave) which is awesome for multi-target aggro (and looks great on damage meters).
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby thorn » Wed May 12, 2010 3:54 pm

if you plan on doing totc and earlier raids, or heroics, you can sacrifice some of the survival talents and survival glyphs that we use, because you are going to be either outgearing the instance soon, or at least running with healers who outgear the instance. i recommend this spec:

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#sZV0tAozg ... t0c:NG0cmV

- if you start running out of mana to generate threat, pop divine sacrifice and eat up some raid damage (which means more heals, thus more mana returned).

- ohi, 5/5 reckoning? yes.

- sosry judgements of the just, you're not important enough.

- 3/3 heart of the crusader helps you, but it also helps everybody else so i guess that won't give you an edge on threat against the dpsers. but w/e.

- 1/5 benediction, because it's a floating point and even a little mana saved = threat gained... at least when you are going back to old content.

- 5/5 conviction? iz gud.

- 1/1 seal of command for situational fights. switch seals often; if there are 5+ mobs, consider using command. otherwise, use vengeance.

everything else is self explanatory.

oh, wait, glyph of hammer of the righteous. for what you're doing, it's pimp, get it. don't let anybody sway you towards using stuff like glyph of divine plea or glyph of righteous defense or whatever. remember your goal and stay on focus: max threat in farm content. if you stay on point and make the sacrifices you need to make, you can maximize your threat and let the burden of your survival rest on your healers' shoulders, since they are probably outgearing the content and your dpsers (who also outgear the content) are pulling aggro.

some would say use glyph of avenger's shield instead of judgement, but i wouldn't do that if you plan on doing a lot of heroics and stuff.

oh, one other thing. hand of reckoning is not just a taunt: it does a shitload of damage when the mob isn't targetting you, and it doesn't cost a global cooldown. when gormok turns to throw a snobold at someone, he is NOT targetting you for a split second. horeck him immediately. it won't mess up your rotation, and will just give you 8k-ish extra threat if it crits. when icehowl slams into a wall, he is taking 100% extra damage and he >is not targetting you< so spam hand of reckoning on him for an easy 16-18k threat per crit.

during your 969, weave in avenger's shield instead of holy shield whenever you can, and if you're fighting undead, also weave in holy wrath.

use darkmoon card: greatness.

if you are fighting a pack of mobs and they keep positioning themselves around you, you risk them not being in front of you, so tap your backpeddle key so you back up, keeping them in your frontal cone.

wear sunscreen. the long-term benefits of sunscreen have been proven by scientists, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience.
thorn
Maintankadonor

Postby blakk » Wed May 12, 2010 4:24 pm

everything he said except the sunscreen. you need a tan.
blakk

Postby Levantine » Wed May 12, 2010 7:25 pm

Or you could stop failing at life and take at the very least 1/2 JotJ since that talent is what allows Prot Judgements to proc seals.
Levantine

Postby Torquemada » Thu May 13, 2010 1:43 am

I'm going to assume that since you use Gear Score you're Alliance, because most of the apps we get for my guild who use it are faction transfers. As such, I'll refer to SoV as Seal of Vengeance rather than Corruption. If by the off chance you are a Blood Elf, shame on you for using Gear Score and tainting the purity of the Horde's awesomeness. But I digress.

Honestly, your best bet for threat while retaining the "standard must haves" for tanking is probably this:
http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc.xml?cid=2&tal=000000000000000000000000000500503500313231133331232150230201200300000000000000

Which is basically what I run with, except I've switched over to Divine Guardian/Divine Sacrifice for it's uses in providing a 20% raid wall(With a /cancel macro) for the HMs we're working on, as well as an extra cooldown is the raid doesn't need it.

The spec I linked will get you Vindication and Judgements of the Just, two huge survival bonuses and debuffs to bosses that you will apply PASSIVELY just by hitting/judging. With JotJ you take 20% less physical damage because the bosses will attack you more slowly. With Vindication they'll hit less hard with physical abilities, and there are very few fights that are pure spell damage. It also nets you Crusade, which is the reason Prot specs that far into Ret in the first place. Conviction is fairly weak, and while it is better threat than Vindication or Pursuit of Justice, both of those are just too handy IMO to pass up.

The only other real free points for the spec are 3/5 Reckoning versus DG/DS from what most folks I've seen do. Reckoning is better threat, particularly if you can get a slow dps weapon(Bloodvenom Blade for example). There are specs that better optimize threat, but at the same time if you're raiding you should still bring the "essentials."

Also, since you're probably not hit capped, Accuracy is the best enchant you can get for your weapon, the Libram of Valiance(Bought with Emblems of Triumph) is another boost. ToC level gear was particularly heavy in expertise, which is glorious for threat. When you start to switch over to ICC/Emblem of Frost gear, you'll be trading it for bonus armor. Don't run away from it, embrace it. Armor is your new God. And your new God is SHINY.
Torquemada

Postby zerriah777 » Thu May 13, 2010 4:43 pm

Thanks to all for the advice... I set down with the guild and looked at your spec and tested it and it works great. How wonderful it is to check a forum full of serious answers. I'm on Illidan server and people rage like none other on there and demand perfection. Thanks all
zerriah777

Return to Basic Training & Talents