Remove Advertisements

Graphics card choice

Hardware, software, geek stuff

Moderators: laterna, Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Graphics card choice

Postby lythac » Tue May 11, 2010 8:39 am

Daeren wrote:The funny thing is that as I mentioned earlier, you won't notice anything above 2 cores since both WoW and SC2 are programmed for 2 cores atm (SC2 might get upgraded to utilize more cores)

WoW changed slightly and can utilise more than 2 cores now.

Daath wrote:
Thank you for the clarification. As I understand it, WoW essentially runs on 2 cores, the main thread on one and the rest of the smaller ones on another, correct? Considering that the bulk of the original wow was made before dual cores came out, it's understandable that the game would not be written to optimize for them.

Bulk on one core, other threads in as many cores as the OS wants to pass it thru. We have lots of threads.

Still more than 2 cores won't help much for wow but as said previously you will get an increase in performance if you are running multiple applications at the same time etc.

I recently went from a single core 3GhZ to an I3 something. Before unsurprisingly when ripping a CD in itunes wow went down to around 1 frame every 4 seconds, now with all my lovely cores I can play WoW in windowed mode + rip + have MSN with webcam up and they run decently.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby masterpoobaa » Wed May 12, 2010 4:11 am

Im lucky in that my core duo 2.4Ghz runs quite happily at 3.2Ghz (8x400fsb)

My GF recently upgraded her PC as her vid card died.
went from a GTS260 to a ati 5850, a card arguably 50% better at least.

And for wow at least she only got nominal framerate increases.
Her cpu is a X2 2.8Ghz Amd... so it seems wow is cpu limited for her pc.
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby Klaudandus » Wed May 12, 2010 9:38 am

I had nothing but problems with shadowed_UF, went back to my trusty Pitbull_3 =/

Also, booo UPS and Newegg. Bought a videocard that was supposed to arrive today but the shipment got delayed and will not arrive till tomorrow. >=/
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby fafhrd » Wed May 12, 2010 9:54 am

Raided most of last night without:
- grid
- aguf
- my hud mod ("hud")

In general FPS seemed better when idling in the raid (~50-60 fps instead of the usual ~30-40), but as soon as combat started I was down to the usual 10-15 fps. Watching my readouts, GPU was never really past ~40-50% utilization at 1920x1080, 2xFSAA, but both CPU cores went up to around 90% utilization when in combat. Not sure how accurate those readouts are, but definitely seems to be more a CPU bottleneck than a GPU one.

Also my bar mod (Macaroon) seems to hurt FPS, since when I switch to Bartender to make sure my bite is usuable on Bloodqueen, I gain FPS too.

None of this helps answer why FPS goes up so much during LK sub10% though, unless it's just the spam of lib-healscomm messages affecting me even when I have no mods doing anything with them - if that were the case I'd imagine a lot of other people would notice it too though. I might try putting everyone in the raid on ignore one night to see what happens to FPS/CPU, since that supposedly stops the server sending me addon comms from them even on invisble addon channels.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Klaudandus » Wed May 12, 2010 9:58 am

LOL, I thought I was the only one that used Macaroon -- although I only use it to have a completely lazy one-button tanking rotation for when I'm feeling lazy and tanking heroics (or ICC trash) =P

Also, have you disabled core parking? This helps with cpu loads on W7 and is known to fix some issues with stuttering/spiky FPS.
---
Klaudandus

Postby fafhrd » Wed May 12, 2010 10:13 am

No idea what core parking is or how to control it, so possibly not.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby fafhrd » Wed May 12, 2010 10:16 am

As for Macaroon, I only really use it because it lets me make arbitrary sets of buttons instead of wanting everything to be bars like all the other damn bar mods since Flexbar seem to insist on. Like I can make my barely visible 120 button bar at the bottom of my screen and stick everything on it, instead of having to make 10 individual bars of 12 buttons each with bartender and then position/scale them all and find a way to make their visibility linked. If I could find some other button mod that didn't insist on bars I'd probably gain performance, since I don't use 90% of the bells and whistles Macaroon supports.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Klaudandus » Wed May 12, 2010 10:46 am

http://ultimatecomputers.net/forum/view ... f=7&t=3644

Here is the link that explains what core parking is and how to disable it.
---
Klaudandus

Postby fafhrd » Wed May 12, 2010 12:43 pm

Klaudandus wrote:http://ultimatecomputers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3644

Here is the link that explains what core parking is and how to disable it.

I'm running with just 2 cores though, which according to that article shouldn't be affected by core parking :(
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Klaudandus » Wed May 12, 2010 1:08 pm

There is another way then, inside the config.wtf file you can find several cvars. Part of the problem is that with the way dual core works, wow will run on one physical core and one virtual core. By tweaking the AffinityMask cvar and set it to '5', it will force wow to run on both physical cores instead.

I forgot to mention -- you do need to add that key at the end of the config.wtf file. In your case it would be Set ProcessAffinityMask "5"

A more detailed technical explanation is found here:
http://www.vindicatum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=206
---
Klaudandus

Previous

Return to Tech Stuff