Remove Advertisements

How can I pick up Emalon's adds?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

How can I pick up Emalon's adds?

Postby econ21 » Mon May 10, 2010 7:22 am

Can anyone give me any tips on how to off tank Emalon's adds? I failed miserably the only time I did it and was so shaken that the next VoA run, I left it to the other newbie tank ... who also failed miserably.

I understand that I should pull them all to one side of the room and let the main tank taunt off Emalon to the other. Where I struggled is picking up the loose adds. When I did it, I did not understand that one is summoned whenever an existing one dies, so that ignorance might have been the biggest stumbling block. But more generally, I found it very hard to get an overall view of the fight. The adds I had on me seemed to block my view and I never had a clear vision even of how many adds I was tanking, let alone where the new add was being spawned. I am not sure if this was just my lack of skill or a problem all tanks face (rather like the limited view you got tanking the Prince at the end of Kara).

A DK helped bring adds to me but he was in the other raid party so I was never clear if he had aggro or I did. (If he had been in my party, I would have seen the red circling his portrait.) Do I have to use grid or something to be aware of who aside from the tanks has aggro? It seems very important information for fights with potentially loose adds or aggro dumps, but with the standard 5 main party interface of WoW, it's not clear how you can get that information.

I guess I should have just tab targeted through them, checking that I was their target and taunting any that were not but I am not sure how well that would work if new adds were spawned in odd places (tab targeting only seems to work for adds in front of you).

Can anyone give me some pointers on how to do better next time? Thanks for any advice.
econ21

Re: How can I pick up Emalon's adds?

Postby Nikachelle » Mon May 10, 2010 7:33 am

A few things off the top of my head:

First off, zoom your camera out way more. The adds shouldn't be blocking your view at all. Yeah they're a nuisance, but they should not be taking up your entire camera view. (Use a macro for it if you're still having issues, the max camer factor one.)

Secondly, if you're not close enough to single taunt the add, then run over there. The add spawns where Emalon is, so you always know where it's going to be. When an add dies that you're tanking, you'll always know when a new one pops (as a side note, your damage on ten man is so high that chances are you'll end up killing a few on your own since their health is so low.)

Thirdly, if you're being bad and can't single target taunt it.... just throw your shield at Emalon (focus him) when the add spawns. Your shield will bounce off Emalon and hit the add, bringing it to you.

Hope that helps.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Re: How can I pick up Emalon's adds?

Postby Boyfriend » Mon May 10, 2010 7:40 am

To avoid the adds blocking your view, zoom all the way out and turn the camera so it is facing towards you (instead of towards your back).
Boyfriend
Maintankadonor

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon