What's needed to OT?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

What's needed to OT?

Postby Tordan » Thu May 06, 2010 9:32 am

Yes, I do realise that there most likely is no one answer to this but while building gear by running heroics (in a most slow and casual way) I began wondering what is needed for various OT duties? Just to have a baseline we could use my armory which I think is enough for heroics, but too low (?) for MT raid duties... Would be fun to get in on the raid action. For me going as DPS is not an option..
Tordan

Re: What's needed to OT?

Postby Nikachelle » Thu May 06, 2010 9:37 am

You're fine to tank Naxx. Anything above that will be challenging (and I doubt anyone would take you anyway sinc pugs look at health and GS and you'll end up being quite low on both.) Once you're done your heroic grind and decked out in T9 gear, you'll be fine for Icecrown.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Thu May 06, 2010 9:55 am

re-spec holy?

like nika said, you should be fine tanking naxx as long as you have a good healer and MT

OT for the most part needs the same gear as a MT.
the main difference on most fights is instead of having a bitch to follow you around, you are the bitch

ie Marrowgar- OT shadows the MT to help eat saberslash
most other fights, you will be tanking the boss at least at some point. LDW - once adds are down, you switch at 4 stacks, DBS - you switch when one gets Runed, Festergut - swap at 8-9 stacks and that is just the first few bosses of icc

there are times where you will be tanking adds, or doing bitch duty (Rotface ooze kiting, Anub add tanking) but for the most part you are there to be a second MT.

when im running a raid and there is cleanup duty (ie tanking adds, kitting adds) i will just have which ever tank is better geared stay on the boss, or as on LDW, if a mob gets transformed, whichever tank is free will kite.

so OT gear is almost as important as MT gear on some fights and OT gear= MT gear on most.

again like nika said, just do you heroic grind, run back to back heroics until your eyes bleed(hopefully you stop before that but...) and youll be in T9 in no time. combine that with all the frost your gonna be getting.. you should be gtg in icc within id say 2 weeks to a month, depending on how lucky you are and how much you run heroics (also run the icc5's for some nice upgrades ie shield, wep, neck)

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Tordan » Fri May 07, 2010 1:04 am

Thanks guys, all understood.
Tordan

Return to Basic Training & Talents