Healing Offspec

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Healing Offspec

Postby Eridian » Wed May 05, 2010 8:04 am

Hi all, just recently decided to start healing as an offspec, I would appreciate feedback from more experienced Healadins (or Prot pally's like myself who have experience healing on the side with their pally's). Here's the link!

http://www.wowuse.com/talenttemplates/view/Eridian/2726

Thanks!
Eridian

Re: Healing Offspec

Postby Kedon » Wed May 05, 2010 8:15 am

Depends on what content you'd be healing really. For heroics your build would be fine, even though it's not exactly a cookiecutter spec. Though 3% crit might still be more useful than PoJ as you'd most likely want to enchant your boots with Tuskarr's Vitality. Heroics are easy content though, could heal them in any spec really. :p

For any serious raiding you should go for Divine Guardian in Protection. Glyphs are fine!
Kedon

Postby Shoju » Wed May 05, 2010 8:48 am

Honestly, depending on your gear, that type of spec is a little dated. Once you get to around 2k spellpower, going with a prot subspec is a much better use of talent points than going ret.

If you are doing heroics/10 mans as a healer, take a look at my offspec (link in sig). That is a pretty standard 10 man/heroics build.

For 25 mans, you are pretty much guaranteed to have a Tree, or a prot paladin so you don't need the imp devo aura for the healing boost, so you can move those 3 points into holy to flesh out things in there.

Don't buy into the hype of the FoL build unless you are only doing farm content/heroics. By going with a 'holy light' build, you will have more longevity, and still can spam FoL when you don't need to drop the HL bombs. I honestly cast HL less every raid that I heal, but I don't bother switching to an FoL styled build because sometimes, you just have to drop HL bombs steadily for a while, and the smaller mana pool of the FoL build wont support it as well.

If you want to see how I'm gearing, feel free to wow-heroes me

http://wow-heroes.com/index.php?zone=us ... me=sunetra

and check out my offspec. It is up to date with the gear that I'm currently using except the cloak enchant and weapon (for some reason it has me using listed as using the AGI to cloak enchant, even though I have triple checked it) and I'm using Lockjaw (FINALLY) instead of a hit sword.
Shoju

Postby kysu » Wed May 05, 2010 11:47 am

That is what I use as my offspec, it's more for 10m considering I don't know if there will be a tree or a Prot pally there.
kysu

Postby Eridian » Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 am

Thanks for the replies, I can't view the links as they're blocked from work, but I'll take a look at them when I get home later and tweak the offspec accordingly. Thanks guys!
Eridian

Postby smiter » Thu May 06, 2010 3:37 pm

I am considering trying out healing (currently prot/ret dual spec) I have never healed and want to just give it a go before catacylsm...no real interest in raiding ICC level just heroics for something different. I don't really mind spending gold now and then to change back to ret spec so my question is, would the brilliant saronite pvp set my I can craft along with the brilliant titansteel helm/treads and spellpower mace be enough healing gear to give this a go? (please all pray for the tank that gets stuck with me in Random dungeon finder my first time out haha).
smiter

Postby smiter » Thu May 06, 2010 3:37 pm

I am considering trying out healing (currently prot/ret dual spec) I have never healed and want to just give it a go before catacylsm...no real interest in raiding ICC level just heroics for something different. I don't really mind spending gold now and then to change back to ret spec so my question is, would the brilliant saronite pvp set my I can craft along with the brilliant titansteel helm/treads and spellpower mace be enough healing gear to give this a go? (please all pray for the tank that gets stuck with me in Random dungeon finder my first time out haha).
smiter

Postby sherck » Fri May 07, 2010 5:05 am

smiter wrote:I am considering trying out healing (currently prot/ret dual spec) I have never healed and want to just give it a go before catacylsm...no real interest in raiding ICC level just heroics for something different. I don't really mind spending gold now and then to change back to ret spec so my question is, would the brilliant saronite pvp set my I can craft along with the brilliant titansteel helm/treads and spellpower mace be enough healing gear to give this a go? (please all pray for the tank that gets stuck with me in Random dungeon finder my first time out haha).

Ummm, no. None of the PvP crafted gear is acceptable at all for Holy Paladins. The Titansteel Guardian is an okay starter piece but I would actually use the Heirloom mace if you have the extra EoT for it or the Rep mace from Wyrmrest Accord (Gavel of Brewing Storms I think).

You can get some good gear by just going to the AH and buying some rare 200 or 187 gear. Stat Priority is: Intellect, Haste, SP, Crit, MP5 in that order. A quick list:

Head: Helm of Purified Thoughts from Exalted with Argent Crusade; you probably are this already since you are a tank for the Arcanum.

Neck: Titanium Spellshock Neck, crafted

Shoulders: None come to mind; whatever you can find off the AH with the right stats.

Back: Wispcloak, crafted

Chest: Patrina-coated Breastplate, BoE on AH from HoS

Wrists: Bone Framed Bracers, BoE from Naxx or Bands of Fading Light, BoE from UP on AH

Hands: Web Winder Gloves, BoE from AH

Waist: Girdle of the Warrior Magi from Revered with Kirin Tor or just about anything you can get on the AH with the right stats.

Legs: Standard Issue Legguards from rep with Argent Crusade

Feet: Pointant Sabatons are BoE from Naxx but may not be in the AH since no one runs it anymore. Revent Treads (Mail), crafted are a good choice as well.

Rings: Titanium Spellshock and Signet of Hopeful Light, rep with Argent Crusade are best. Just about any I-level 187 or 200 ring without Spirit is fine.

Trinkets: Darkmoon Card: Illusion and Je'Tzu's Bell are best and both are buying on AH. If you are JC, replace one with Figurine: Sapphire Owl or if Alch, Mercurial Alch Stone.

Weapon: Titansteel Guardian, crafted, Gavel of the Brewing Storms, rep with Wyrmrest Accord or the Heirloom Mace.

Shield: Zom's Crackling Buckler or Saronite Protector, crafted

Libram: Need to spend 15 Emblems for the Libram of Renewal. There is no other real option.

Glyph Holy Light, Beacon of Light and Seal of Wisdom.

Spec is 51 Holy, 20 Prot, ret spec is dead. Beacon the tank and heal the other four members of the party. Keep SS up on the tank; find times to use your Divine Favor ability to save mana and don't keep Divine Illumination off CD very long.

MAKE SURE YOU go into melee on pulls where there is not lots of AoE damage; you will keep your mana bar full with some SoW procs and Illumination.

Do you need to fill every slot with Holy gear to do Heroics? No, but if you have the cash, it will be pretty cheap to fill most of them. Prob less than 1000 gold total would be my guess for the above. Most expensive item on the list are the trinkets and if you don't wnat to buy them, check around on WoWHead or Thottbot to see if there is a quest or two you did not end up doing that awards a trinket you can use. Go for Intellect trinkets first (there are none), then Haste or Crit trinkets and Spell Power trinkets last. If you did not do that quests in HF out on the Tusker island to the west, then I think you can get both a Haste and a Crit trinket by questing out there.

Make sure you download either Healbot or Clique/Grid or something to help you heal faster. Also make sure you have a decursive setup in any healing U/I in order to Cleanse fast.

Have fun.

Cheers,
sherck

Postby Shoju » Fri May 07, 2010 6:31 am

There is a pair of cloth BoE shoulders from Razz in Naxx10 that you might be able to find on the Ah since he is a candidate for the RBotW. they don't have spirit, and are a very nice alternative to start.

Scherk hit the nail on the head really. Seal Wis, judge light.

I HIGHLY recomend the addon CLCBPT, available from Curse. It is a simple timer mod that you can move around the screen where you want that will show you your

FoL HoT
SS timer and target
Beacon Timer and target
Haste from Judging Timer

It is a great mod. Don't go healing without it. You can also set it up in a raid to tell you who other paladins have their SS/Beacon on as well.
Shoju

Postby sherck » Fri May 07, 2010 7:11 am

Shoju wrote: There is a pair of cloth BoE shoulders from Razz in Naxx10 that you might be able to find on the Ah since he is a candidate for the RBotW. they don't have spirit, and are a very nice alternative to start.

Heh, good find. I don't remember what I did for shoulders immediatly upon hitting 80...I think I had the ones from the quest in Icecrown, Fleshwerks or something.

Shoju wrote:Scherk hit the nail on the head really. Seal Wis, judge light.

Thank you very much. Sigh, now if only anyone could spell my name right....not Scherk, not Sherk, Sherck. It is not that hard. :D

Shoju wrote:I HIGHLY recomend the addon CLCBPT, available from Curse. It is a simple timer mod that you can move around the screen where you want that will show you your

FoL HoT
SS timer and target
Beacon Timer and target
Haste from Judging Timer

It is a great mod. Don't go healing without it. You can also set it up in a raid to tell you who other paladins have their SS/Beacon on as well.

I will have to check it out. I currently use Classtimer addon for that. I get a separate bar for my focus, myself and my target that are moveable around anywhere on the screen. I put the focus and self bars right next to each other so I can monitor buffs and refresh as needed and I put the target bar under the target plate on the UI so that I can see when my Judgement debuff is going to fall off (or when Ret, when my other debuffs fall off).

I use Healbot to see where else Beacons are on the raid.

But, I will give this other addon a try; I am always looking for something new.

Cheers,
sherck

Postby Shoju » Fri May 07, 2010 7:28 am

The funny thing is... I scrolled down to spell your name right and still failed :shock: :lol: :shock: :oops: :shock:

http://bassplayinninja.com/images/WoW/s ... -large.jpg

This is a very old version of my UI, labeled so you can see what each thing is.

http://bassplayinninja.com/images/WoW/ui-new-3-3-2.png

is my new UI, and I have them scaled to sit right above my unit frame on the left, and the raids show up above my target on the right. I'm still not happy with my UI, so a new redesign of the layout is coming.
Shoju

Postby cerwillis » Fri May 07, 2010 9:17 am

sherck wrote:Also make sure you have a decursive setup in any Character/spec that has a cleanse U/I in order to Cleanse fast.

fixt
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Postby smiter » Fri May 07, 2010 10:44 am

Thanks for the tips guys! I think once I hit 80 on my hunter alt (almost 75 and have him decently geared I am going to play around with healing just to say I have done it). In the interim I will off spec roll in my randoms on any healing drops. I already have decursive set up because I got sick of running in randoms and in ICC def helps on plauge scientists/rotface etc when tanking or dpsing.
smiter

Postby Sightblinder » Sat May 08, 2010 5:21 pm

If it is going to be a bit before you go to holy try running FoS, PIT, and HOR on reg and heroic as a tank and roll on spell plate gear. you can get 219 and 232 lvl holy gear from there and you can get almost everything you will need for when you change over and be set up very well. also a good idea would be to run TOC reg and heroic for the ilvl 200 and 219 gear, a very nice healing mace drops from there. Including the 219 healing shield from the last boss of reg PIT. you can even get healing trinkets from there as well but for a holy paly the 245 triumph int trinket and the ilvl 200 int trinket from reg toc are best for starting out.

you would be very suprised how quick you can some awesome gear. i used this same strategy on my druid and i was healing 10 ICC about a week and a half after dinging 80. I also did this when i took my tankadin to holy off spec. plus it will save alot of money for gemming and chanting all your new gear. cheers and good luck
Sightblinder

Postby TonabShin » Mon May 10, 2010 2:31 am

Considering raiding: If your the only prot pally in your raids, this means when you change specs you loose out on the extra armor from devotion aura, so to combat this you can get it in your holy build, not to mention devotion aura and aura mastery are an extra c/d.

Spec: http://www.wowhead.com/talent#sxAzg00sVuotgdxGzubh
Deveaux - Lost Society - Tarren Mill EU
TonabShin

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes