Remove Advertisements

[Shadow Priest - PvE] Spec Help

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Shadow Priest - PvE] Spec Help

Postby sherck » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:41 am

Hey fellow Tankadins,

I am dusting off my Priest since my Paladin is pretty much maxed out on gear doing the ICC PuG scene and decided to take him Holy and Shadow.

Never having played Shadow before, any chance some of you fine knowledgable fellows can give me a few tips?

Looking for a spec but cannot link to any talent calculators at work. Any chance someone wants to walk me though with text on what I need to be looking for in Shadow?

I got Holy down pretty well (although today's H HoS run was UGLY as I was working on getting my muscle memory back); but have not specced Shadow ever.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
sherck

Re: [Shadow Priest - PvE] Spec Help

Postby hoho » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:49 am

Assuming you don't have 4pt10 yet

Glyphs:
shadow and mind flay. Third one is situational but mind sear is generally more useful than rest. If you are having mana problems then dispersion helps more than swp one.

Talents:
max first tier
max imp. SWP and shadow focus
max imp. MB, mind flay
max whole 4'th tier
VE. If you have mana problems then skip imp. VE and get full focused mind. Otherwise max imp. VE and skip focused mind
get everything below except physic horror

disc
max twin iciplines
imp. inner fire and fort
max meditation.
If you had no mana problems then you have a point left over for inner focus, otherwise you just ran out of them :)
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby cds4850 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:22 am

Given ICC fight mechanics, and especially those in hard modes, I'd strongly recommend glyphing dispersion for your third slot. It is an optional glyph, as the two listed are the only ones that will increase your DPS. However, that third slot has a few options that all lend themselves to situational encounters:

Glyph of Mind Sear - Mandatory for LK encounter for P3 vile spirits. I carry a stack of these on my spriest.
Glyph of Dispersion - Incredibly helpful for BQL, Festergut, Rotface, loose adds/frostbolts/ghosts during Deathwhisper, etc. The list goes on. Having a 1min 45sec CD on dispersion is situationally helpful for damage reduction more so than for the mana return. I carry a stack of these on my spriest.
Glyph of SW:P - I don'r remember reading too much on the relative mana return on this one, but it's an option for your third slot. I don't typically run with this one though.
cds4850

Postby hoho » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:37 am

cds4850 wrote:Glyph of Mind Sear - Mandatory for LK encounter for P3 vile spirits. I carry a stack of these on my spriest.
Also nice for sindragosa air phase for nuking blocks, dreamwalker, marrowgar and deathwisper.
cds4850 wrote:Glyph of Dispersion - Incredibly helpful for BQL, Festergut, Rotface, loose adds/frostbolts/ghosts during Deathwhisper, etc. The list goes on. Having a 1min 45sec CD on dispersion is situationally helpful for damage reduction more so than for the mana return. I carry a stack of these on my spriest.
While definitely useful all it does is allow for more slacking with getting out of fires or generally screwing up. If others can manage those things without OP oh-shit buttons so can priests. Also, fade works excellently for any add fights. On Sindragosa heroic dispersing the stack is actually a potential raid-wipe.
cds4850 wrote:Glyph of SW:P - I don'r remember reading too much on the relative mana return on this one
In short it sucks horribly. IIRC over 5 minute single-target nuke it gave around 3k mana.
Leap of Faith:
hoho

Postby 8bit » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:20 pm

Sherck, sorry for the hijack, but I'm not sure it was worthy of a separate thread. Right now, my priest has mining/tailoring as professions. If I wanted to replace mining since I no longer need the titansteel cooldown, and I have every profession covered by alts, what would be a good second profession? I was considering engineering because I just plain like it, but I was wondering if there would be a more useful profession. Also, with regard to gear, since I've already got the Merlin's Robe, should I now focus on 4T9 or grab the two EoT pieces? Thanks in advance.

~j.
8bit

Postby hoho » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:11 am

Engineering is the best DPS specs next to tailoring, JC isn't too bad either and could be better if you want more flexibility, same with blacksmithing.

As for gear, 4pt9 is relatively bad, you'd be better off with 245 offspec pieces. Especially for pants and helm.
Leap of Faith:
hoho

Postby cds4850 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:08 pm

Level up an engineer. It is the best decision I have made for my shadow priest as the profession is incredibly handy (mailbox, wormhole, jeeves, rocket boots.) Hoho is also correct in stating that it has a higher DPS contribution than all other professions, according to EJ math (hyperspeed accelerator glove enchant, nitro boot 24crit rating.)

All that being said, the first time you stretch out an Anub 25hm kite phase, avoid DBS beast melee, hand off Rotface adds, run out of BQL bloodbolt range, or (insert battleground heroic story here) with those nitro boots, you will immediately appreciate the beauty of this profession.
cds4850

Postby 8bit » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:52 pm

Thanks for the input, guys. As far as the profession bonuses from having engineering/tailoring go, should I go with the combination of Lightweave/Hyperspeed Accelerator/Nitro Boosts, or should I go for the Springy Arachnoweave as well? I'm assuming the former, but I wanted to check first.
8bit

Postby hoho » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:51 am

Lightweave is WAY better than engi back enchant.
Leap of Faith:
hoho

Postby cds4850 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:39 am

hoho wrote:Lightweave is WAY better than engi back enchant.

Hoho may be right, but I never compared the two enchants side by side. From what I recall reading over at EJ, engineering as a whole contributes more DPS than any other single profession. JC was a very close second followed by the others. That being said, you're limiting the respective gains from engineering and tailoring, as they both have profession specific enchants for your cloak that are better than widely available +23haste enchant. If you're still planning this out, and intend on min/max'ing, by definition you'd likely want to chose another profession in place of tailoring.

That being said, if you are just trying to enjoy the character and cover some new professions, grab either enchant and have fun with it.
cds4850

Postby hoho » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:06 am

A bit oldish thread but meh :)

Yes, engineering is an awesome DPS profession, though "problem" is it gains that DPS from four places:
1) gloves haste enchant (biggest boost)
2) 24 crit on boots instead of 12crit/hit or runspeed
3) spellpower on back instead of haste (27sp instead of 23 haste, rather minor difference)
4) saronite bombs (not sure about how good these are but from what I know they are quite big DPS boost)

Versus that tailoring has only one thing: back enchant. That back enchant alone is extremely powerful. From what I remember it was around 295sp proc at almost 30% uptime.
Leap of Faith:
hoho

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes