Remove Advertisements

Fitness and being Healthy

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Arcand » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:19 pm

Thalia wrote:I still do drink soda, but I drank caffeine free soda, and only two cans a day tops. The rest is water. I would recommend you start training yourself to drink diet soda, your sugar intake will drop by so much! Seriously, now I taste regular soda and want to spit it out because it tastes like I'm drinking pure sugar.

I've trained myself to drink diet pop too, but I haven't stopped liking the regular. In fact, the regular now tastes orgasmically good to me. It's like what happens when you get used to skim milk and then somebody gives you a glass of 3%.
Arcand

Postby Thalia » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:21 pm

Arcand wrote:
Thalia wrote:I still do drink soda, but I drank caffeine free soda, and only two cans a day tops. The rest is water. I would recommend you start training yourself to drink diet soda, your sugar intake will drop by so much! Seriously, now I taste regular soda and want to spit it out because it tastes like I'm drinking pure sugar.

I've trained myself to drink diet pop too, but I haven't stopped liking the regular. In fact, the regular now tastes orgasmically good to me. It's like what happens when you get used to skim milk and then somebody gives you a glass of 3%.

Heh my teeth hurt now too when I drink regular, I avoid them for sure.

Oh i fixed my quote I meant to say "I drink caffeine free diet soda".
Thalia

Postby Nakama » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:23 pm

Diet Mountain Dew and Diet Dr. Pepper are great in this regard and even the decaffinated versions aren't too bad, if you're looking for a tasty calorie-free soda to go to.

--Jed
Nakama

Postby Shathus » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:25 pm

Thalia wrote:I still do drink soda, but I drank caffeine free soda, and only two cans a day tops. The rest is water. I would recommend you start training yourself to drink diet soda, your sugar intake will drop by so much! Seriously, now I taste regular soda and want to spit it out because it tastes like I'm drinking pure sugar. At first I hated it, I felt like I was drinking Robitussin, but I forced myself to drink diet, and after a few weeks I came to love it and it became a lifestyle change for me. Just think about it, each one of those little soda cans contains 150 calories a lone, as compared to diet which is 0.

Now taking it one step further is replacing sodas with water. I'm still a soda addict, like I said I drink 1-2 cans a day, but, I have learned to drink water throughout the day. To me water is not that tasty and I used to avoid it, but I found that if it's cold I can drink it forever. If you still don't like plan water, get those crystal light packs and add them to it, they are 0 calories and delicious.

I don't want to say this is fact, but I thought there have also been studies that show diet soda can be be less healthy than regular at times. Here's a quick summary article. Obviously as you and others have mentioned, the end goal should probably be to cut out soft drinks all together, so whatever helps you do that is good. Just be wary of switching from drinking a lot of regular soda to a lot of diet in the meantime, it may not be as beneficial as it seems.

Note: I used to drink a lot of soda (and beer) after getting out of college, and after cutting back on both, it helped get rid of a few extra pounds I was carrying around, so I can speak to that helping.
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby Dapaladin » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:39 pm

I used to drink soda when we had it and i still will (very little one can max a day) but i generally drink a TON of water. I'm poor as well so i never order soda when i go out XD gogo water being free!. I normally feel thirsty throughout the day and have to keep getting drinks so i drink tons of water. Which is a nuisance in itself because drinking that much water only leads to more bathroom breaks but meh i think I'd rather be using the bathroom a lot then drinking a high calorie drink.

If you can't do with the blandness of water you could drink some juice from time to time. Just make sure it's actually juice.

So speaking of water who thinks city water tastes like crap compared to well water. I have a well under my house and i think the water tastes GREAT but whenever i go to someplace with city water i feel like it always tastes metallic or something.
Dapaladin

Postby Snake-Aes » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:19 am

It's the fecal coliforms contrasting against the chlorine.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:13 am

I stopped drinking soda when I was 12 because I read something so horrible about it that it made me quit right then and there. 15 years later, I haven't had a single sip of soda and the smell of it makes me feel nauseous.

I just wish I could remember what I had read.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Shathus » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:31 am

Nikachelle wrote:I stopped drinking soda when I was 12 because I read something so horrible about it that it made me quit right then and there. 15 years later, I haven't had a single sip of soda and the smell of it makes me feel nauseous.

I just wish I could remember what I had read.

*doesn't want to read Nika's article if she finds it so I can continue to enjoy the occasional sweet, sweet soda* :lol:
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby Arnock » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:48 am

Stopped at a random corner store and realized that they had coke that was bottled in mexico. Haven't had any in awhile, and it was delicious

Also, comparing city water to well water, I generally am not a fan of the sulfur taste in most well water I drink.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby mew » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:07 am

Arnock wrote:Stopped at a random corner store and realized that they had coke that was bottled in mexico. Haven't had any in awhile, and it was delicious

Also, comparing city water to well water, I generally am not a fan of the sulfur taste in most well water I drink.

Are you even supposed to drink unfiltered well water?
We used to have a well when I was little :( I used to ask my relatives to bring me filtered-suburb water when they came to visit. That well water was even horrible to shower in.
ImageImage
mew

Postby hoho » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:08 am

Get better wells then (or ground water in general).
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby Arcand » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:49 am

Arnock wrote:Stopped at a random corner store and realized that they had coke that was bottled in mexico. Haven't had any in awhile, and it was delicious

Was it in glass bottles? I wonder if the difference is not having godknowswhat leeching out of the plastic into the drink. Or the other theory I've heard is that it's made with cane sugar instead of corn syrup.
Arcand

Postby firstamendme » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:52 am

I've often wondered about different locations having slight taste variation based on production/distribution location. Related to the soda incident above, my mother-in-law despises the Budweiser (not that I blame her *gag*) that they get in Costa Rica. They joke about it being 'Gringo Water'. When she came to visit Boston and see where we live, she got a Budweiser bottle when we were out at lunch and really thought it tasted good. She still hates the bottles she gets down there, but I havn't been able to inspect them to determine the location it was processed.

Makes you wonder what causes these minor variations for sure.
firstamendme

Postby Shathus » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:57 am

Arcand wrote:

Was it in glass bottles? I wonder if the difference is not having godknowswhat leeching out of the plastic into the drink. Or the other theory I've heard is that it's made with cane sugar instead of corn syrup.

That might be it. I know Pepsi did a 'retro' thing a couple months ago and was using real Sugar instead of HFCS or other sweeteners and from what I had heard/read it was much more well received than the normal stuff.
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby katraya » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:04 am

They use actual sugar, rather than high fructose corn syrup. It tastes much better. (Edit: Oh hi, everyone else already said that :( ) You can also get 2L of Coke with real sugar around Passover in certain stores too.

I drink water all day long at work and usually lime seltzer when I'm home. I've been drinking beer way too much while out recently, need to find a better bar alternative.
katraya
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum