Fitness and being Healthy

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Mcduffie » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:03 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqxnm6t3QMw

And uh, fitness stuff.

Eat carrots, they improve your vision. There, I'm back on topic now.
Mcduffie

Postby firstamendme » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:25 am

Mcduffie wrote:
firstamendme wrote:
I've found that competing with myself works even better. For example I'll take a picture from front and one from side wearing just shorts (for private use ofc) every Friday night and then date them. Nothing enforces the positive behavior like seeing tangible results over time.

Oh, cool. Whatever works for you. I'm more of the "utility" over "aesthetics" type, so pictures and visible improvement don't do much for me. Plus, I've been in really good shape pretty much all of my life. So, if there are changes, they're very minimal and not rewarding.

It isn't so much aesthetics as far as 'I need to look soooooo gooood oommmggggg' as it is because I have a really shitty self body image. Seeing the picture and realizing that I don't look as bad as I think helps motivate to continue as well.

Motha 'Uckas indeed.
firstamendme

Postby Dapaladin » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:39 pm

I don't agree with anyone saying they are trying to lose weight. If you haven't been doing cardio/weight lifting regularly you shouldn't be worried if you are losing weight or not. Chances are you aren't going to lose weight for quite awhile assuming you are eating enough. Any fat you do end up losing while working out will be replaced by muscle and muscle weighs quite a bit more then fat per cubic (insert measurement type of choice). Not to mention that the human body is made to store fat and not lose it.

Whoever said to take a picture every week, date them and compare is a more accurate way to determining how well you are doing on your new diet/exercise program is probably the most accurate. All I'm trying to say is don't look at that scale and assume it knows everything. The body takes time to adjust to changes in our routines and it may takes months for you to see bigger results. You can't just healthily lose a lot of weight in a short amount of time (at least without the help of a professional).
Dapaladin

Postby Thalia » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:49 pm

Dapaladin wrote:I don't agree with anyone saying they are trying to lose weight. If you haven't been doing cardio/weight lifting regularly you shouldn't be worried if you are losing weight or not. Chances are you aren't going to lose weight for quite awhile assuming you are eating enough. Any fat you do end up losing while working out will be replaced by muscle and muscle weighs quite a bit more then fat per cubic (insert measurement type of choice). Not to mention that the human body is made to store fat and not lose it.

Whoever said to take a picture every week, date them and compare is a more accurate way to determining how well you are doing on your new diet/exercise program is probably the most accurate. All I'm trying to say is don't look at that scale and assume it knows everything. The body takes time to adjust to changes in our routines and it may takes months for you to see bigger results. You can't just healthily lose a lot of weight in a short amount of time (at least without the help of a professional).

You are right, I've been losing on average 1.5-2 pounds a week, once I lost 3.2 for some reason and WW told me that could be bad. I am also measuring my body fat% and body muscle % to compare weekly. My muscle has definitely gone up.
Thalia

Postby Dapaladin » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:53 pm

Thalia wrote:You are right, I've been losing on average 1.5-2 pounds a week, once I lost 3.2 for some reason and WW told me that could be bad. I am also measuring my body fat% and body muscle % to compare weekly. My muscle has definitely gone up.

What is WW? Muscle% and fat% are better but as far as i know most methods aren't completely accurate. Even devices with electronic means can be somewhat off because of more or less water in the body but over a long period of time they will display a trend like you said. Same can be said with pictures if you have more water in your body at the time you will be bloated etc.

General statement: People expect changes to be quick but in most cases they won't be and people get discouraged too easily.

Edit: I figured out WW = Weight watchers!! man I'm smrt (<- intended)
Dapaladin

Postby Shathus » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:10 pm

One thing that I really enjoy when I get a chance to, is Crossfit workouts (http://www.crossfit.com/)

Basically, it's just a shorter but very intense work out, so it's good for me to do in the gym during lunch, etc. Other than long running, I've definitely been the most exhausted after doing one of these work-outs. I'd love to join a certified cross-fit gym around here, but it's pretty pricey.

Like others have said, diet is really even more important than your workout routine in a lot of ways. I'm horrible about eating good foods and small portions myself, but luckily my metabolism hasn't slowed down too much (yet).

Thalia, I agree with you about the treadmill, I hate those things and much prefer running outdoors. I just get too bored.

Finding a work-out buddy helps a lot too as I find I can push myself more working out with someone than by myself. WTB someone in my area to work-out/run with me :)
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby Candiru » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:16 pm

I just gorge myself on as many calories as I can find!

But then I do a lot of exercise, so it works out OK. Just make sure you are using more calories than you are eating, and you will loose weight. If you build muscle then the more muscle you have the higher your resting metabolic rate and the faster you will burn off more fat. So doing exercise to tone up is the best way to loose weight, even if you don't change your diet. (Although removing some of the fat intate will obviously help.)

If you just stare yourself and don't exercise, then your body goes into starvation mode and eats your muscle (to preserve your fat to keep you warm) which then results in a lower resting metabolic rate which means you burn less calories and need to eat even less, which in turn.... Then as soon as you stop your crazy diet you will put on more weight than before as you have no muscle to help burn it up.

Try to go swimming for an hour twice a week, go early in the morning before work or on the way home. And go running for a bit once or twice a week as well. Don't break into too hard running sessions if you haven't done it for a long time or you will injure yourself though, and make sure you stretch after each session to avoid getting shinsplints or something bad. I'm a big fan of forefoot strike running which has massively slashed my injury rate from training, but most people run with a heel-strike. If you do that, then its best to run on grass and avoid running on hard surfaces to lower the impact on your knees.

Parkrun is a good idea too, to help motivate yourself to get better! http://parkrun.com/home.aspx Free 5k weekly running sessions with web-logging of your times etc! Its awesome.
Candiru

Postby Joanadark » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:31 pm

Crossfit is some serious stuff. I'd recommend working up towards crossfit unless you are already in good shape, because it's a pretty intense workout even for me.
Crossfit is excellent for serious muscle building and toning, as well as being a ridiculous cardio session.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby 8bit » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:23 pm

Warning: Wall o' text incoming.

I guess I represent the polar opposite side of the spectrum, and could realistically use any bit of help I can get. Just to preface, I'm incredibly ignorant (not willfully, just am) of most aspects of healthy living. Basically, the most I know is I'm doing it wrong, and need to do something about it.

To get this out of the way, I'm a fatty, and I know my own awful habits caused me to be a fatty. I know I need to not be eating what I'm eating; I just don't know with what I need to replace those foods, aside from the obvious like replacing soda with water. In every attempt I've made to not eat bad food (read: fast food), I've not allowed myself enough calories in a day. In fact, in my latest attempt, I apparently only planned to eat 700 calories in a day, so I quickly became discouraged. This wasn't intentional, but was just poor planning. I also need to drink a lot less beer, but I'm working on that as well.

I also have horrible problems with keeping motivated, which I assume is because I'm resistant to break my habits and replace them with good ones. I know what my goals are, but I struggle with breaking the mindset that this is going to be a quick process. I know I need to lose ~200 pounds; I have problems getting past the (admittedly, immature) belief that it's going to happen overnight. I want to get past that, mostly, because I know I'm a: way too heavy, and b: in miserable shape.

Strangely, I was in my best shape in recent years when I was delivering pizzas five days a week. I wasn't in great shape then, but I could walk more than ten seconds without being winded. That was about five years ago. I've been working an office job for the past four and a half years, and it shows. I've wanted to start exercising, but I don't know where to start. I say that only because I had a strained MCL on my right knee about 11 years ago, and the pain that comes with it comes and goes. Of course, I realize if I had less weight pressing on it every day, it would probably hurt less frequently. I do have a gym at my apartment complex, but I don't know with which exercise would be the best to start. There is also a pool at the apartment complex, but it's not really one for exercising; it only goes down to five feet, and it's not very long to boot. If swimming would be the best way for me to start, I'd have to find a proper pool somewhere around here.

I realize that I sound like I'm making a bunch of excuses to be lazy and fat. I assure you that isn't intentional. I just didn't learn good habits when I was a kid, so I'm trying to recover from that at 25, and I appreciate any advice anyone can provide.
8bit

Postby Arnock » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:59 pm

8bit wrote:<Snip>

Have you tried bicycling?

It's significantly easier on the knees than running or jogging, and although swimming might be better yet, biking might be a bit more accessible

(Ride a bike to the YMCA =P)
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Arnock » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:04 pm

Shathus wrote:One thing that I really enjoy when I get a chance to, is Crossfit workouts (http://www.crossfit.com/)

Basically, it's just a shorter but very intense work out, so it's good for me to do in the gym during lunch, etc. Other than long running, I've definitely been the most exhausted after doing one of these work-outs. I'd love to join a certified cross-fit gym around here, but it's pretty pricey.

Like others have said, diet is really even more important than your workout routine in a lot of ways. I'm horrible about eating good foods and small portions myself, but luckily my metabolism hasn't slowed down too much (yet).

Thalia, I agree with you about the treadmill, I hate those things and much prefer running outdoors. I just get too bored.

Finding a work-out buddy helps a lot too as I find I can push myself more working out with someone than by myself. WTB someone in my area to work-out/run with me :)

I got a crossfit "sample" once, and yes it was pretty intense. But it was a rather enjoyable way to work out in my opinion. Rather than 'normal' weight training and cardio, they had rather... unique methods.
Such as playing volleyball with 15lb medicine balls, having races where a group of around 5 people pushed 2 pickup trucks, and a couple other things I can't quite remember off the top of my head.

I definately would have continued if I could afford it.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Dapaladin » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:14 pm

8bit wrote:That stuff you wrote that is too long to actually quote

You say you become winded from walking then thats probably a good start. That you are becoming winded says that your body is getting a decent workout and if you weigh as much as you make it seem i wouldn't push yourself too hard to start (thats another way to easily discourage yourself). I can't say i know much about lots of weight loss but i would say you should probably see an expert. I've seen and heard about a lot of people losing tremendous amounts of weight its quite possible and such don't become discouraged.
Dapaladin

Postby mew » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:48 pm

Dapaladin wrote:
8bit wrote:That stuff you wrote that is too long to actually quote

You say you become winded from walking then thats probably a good start. That you are becoming winded says that your body is getting a decent workout and if you weigh as much as you make it seem i wouldn't push yourself too hard to start (thats another way to easily discourage yourself). I can't say i know much about lots of weight loss but i would say you should probably see an expert. I've seen and heard about a lot of people losing tremendous amounts of weight its quite possible and such don't become discouraged.

I haven't had time to read your post yet (sorry, 8bit, I will get to it though because I want to) but often when people are very overweight and first get in to it the loss can be pretty rapid. I am lucky to lose 1 or 2 lbs in a month when I am trying really hard :( But there are people on the Blizzcon forums losing 4+lbs a week (and a first week boost of like 8+ lbs just from eating better).
ImageImage
mew

Postby Nakama » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:50 pm

Warning: Incoming Wall of Text

8bit: First things first, you should probably go see your doctor (if they're good anyway) and ask them their opinion of your fitness level and what you should be able to do without hurting yourself or endangering your health.

Secondly, what you eat is a huge part of losing weight. Exercise is great for keeping your heart healthy and eventually getting more toned, but your diet is key. If you're not some sort of workout warrior spending hours of time at the gym, you're not really burning a lot of calories in comparison to your intake.

- Don't drop a billion calories off your diet immediately. Slowly work your way down. Realistically record how many calories you eat in a given day for a week in some way (food diary, blog it, whatever). Average that over a week and start with that amount as a daily max. Intentionally try to cut one thing that you know is bad for you out of your diet each day, or simply eat less of something you like. Over time, you can reduce your overall intake slowly without having your body think it's being starved.

- Portion control is one huge problem I had, personally. If you eat smaller portions of things that taste good (and put them in smaller containers!) you can have things you like, yet be cutting out calories at the same time. It's actually been shown (can't remember where) that people will psychologically affect their own hunger by the size of the container/plate put in front of them. If they have a smaller plate of something to finish in the first place, they are much less likely to feel "deprived". Consider just putting half of what you originally put on your plate away as leftovers or order one size smaller of whatever you normally get if you're eating out.

- Eating with slightly smaller utensils and chewing more thoroughly (like, 20-30 times per bite) are two other techniques you might use to eat slowly and give your body time to realize it's full. Your stomach has a nerve (vagus nerve) that runs alongside of it and reacts to the stomach being full to tell your brain you're sated. Your stomach is probably a lot larger than it used to be from overeating and being stretched permanently, thus it takes a lot larger volume of food to stimulate that nerve. It also takes a while for your body to realize there's food in there and that your stomach has been stretched. If you give it more time by using different eating habits, you'll feel full with less food intake. As you do that over time, your stomach will shrink and it'll take a smaller overall amount of food to get you full.

- Drink lots of water, but don't drink while you eat if you can help it! When you drink as you're eating, you wash the food down and sort of trick your stomach into thinking it has less in there than it does. It's one of the reasons why restaurants offer you as much to drink as they can, making it far more likely for you to want more food or get a dessert in addition to what you're eating. Outside of mealtime, drink as much water as you can. As others have previously mentioned, your body many times just wants some fluid, but stimulates the same general area in your brain, making you feel hungry. It doesn't care whether it gets the hydration from something you ate or just by consuming water, just that it gets some!

- Exercise in the same way you're watching your calorie intake: slowly build up over time and do things that you either enjoy or are the most tolerable to you. If you haven't been to the gym in years, don't go in there and hit the treadmill for an hour the first day. You'll have a good likelihood of hurting yourself and will just make yourself feel tired and awful. Start with what you can see yourself sticking to. If that's just 15 minutes a day, that's fine. Do that and then after a few weeks try to up it to 30 minutes. Find time to do it every day if you can. Make it sort of an extension of your morning routine if you can.

- Set goals, especially short-term ones. If you make it a small goal to get to the gym 3 days a week or to drink 54 oz. of water each day or to halve the portions of one of your meals each day, you can make progress out of simple things and build up over time instead of all at once.

- Finally, if your health is in serious and immediate jeopardy, you may consider some form of weight-loss surgery. Obesity has so many comorbidities (things that come with it that also contribute to potentially dying) that some health insurance companies are willing to pony up for a surgery instead of doing things like paying for insulin for the rest of someone's life or the multiple heart surgeries someone might need if they continue to hurt their heart by being so heavy. It's definitely not something to consider lightly at all, but it is an option. Personally, I have a lap-band and my wife has a gastric sleeve and we've both had decent results, but even those surgeries don't solve everything. Your main progress, even with those, is still being made through calorie intake in your diet and, frankly, a change in your lifestyle.

TL;DR version: Drink more water, slowly reduce calories and slowly add exercise to lose weight and get in better health.

--Jed
Last edited by Nakama on Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nakama

Postby Thalia » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:03 pm

TO 8BIT:

I think Nakama hit it on the nail with this advice, though here are some small tips you might be able to incorporate soon.

I had a huge problem with Soda, I grew up on the stuff. I understand what you mean about being raised with bad habits and just not knowing better. My parents own a food warehouse, and they sold soda, so they brought soda every day home. Pretty much, we drank soda with everything. As I grew up and got to college I was always thin, was natural, but then I got a desk job... I was a tax preparer and at 21 I found myself hitting McDonalds every day between school and work to eat. I gained 20 pounds. To lose it I went to a dietitian, and he told me if I was serious about losing weight one of the items i had to prioritize was what I drank.

I still do drink soda, but I drink caffeine free diet soda, and only two cans a day tops. The rest is water. I would recommend you start training yourself to drink diet soda, your sugar intake will drop by so much! Seriously, now I taste regular soda and want to spit it out because it tastes like I'm drinking pure sugar. At first I hated it, I felt like I was drinking Robitussin, but I forced myself to drink diet, and after a few weeks I came to love it and it became a lifestyle change for me. Just think about it, each one of those little soda cans contains 150 calories a lone, as compared to diet which is 0.

Now taking it one step further is replacing sodas with water. I'm still a soda addict, like I said I drink 1-2 cans a day, but, I have learned to drink water throughout the day. To me water is not that tasty and I used to avoid it, but I found that if it's cold I can drink it forever. If you still don't like plan water, get those crystal light packs and add them to it, they are 0 calories and delicious.

Once you find hwo you like to drink water, the next thing you need to tackle is it being in sight. Out of sight out of mind, for sure when it came to drinking water, I would forget. I ended up, before I went to bed, putting out all the water I wanted to drink for the day in front of my desk ( I can drink it not cold now). Having it in front of my desk, where I spend a lot of my time, reminded me to drink it. And being able to see how much more I have left to drink for the day made me want to keep taking sips throughout the day to meet my goal.

Another tip, if you are the type that likes to snack, a great snack is plain popcorn. If you want a little flavor add some lime to it with salt (no butter).
Last edited by Thalia on Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thalia

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum