First time tanking .. need some advice

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Re: First time tanking .. need some advice

Postby Arcand » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:31 am

bldavis wrote:T10 4-piece yes its that bad, i only activate DP at the start of a fight, and if there is a long enough period that it falls off.

If you had the bonus, though, you could use a macro to cancel the buff and reapply it every minute. (I'm not saying I like the bonus, just that it sucks less than your data point implies.)
Arcand

Postby bldavis » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:45 am

Arcand wrote:
bldavis wrote:T10 4-piece yes its that bad, i only activate DP at the start of a fight, and if there is a long enough period that it falls off.

If you had the bonus, though, you could use a macro to cancel the buff and reapply it every minute. (I'm not saying I like the bonus, just that it sucks less than your data point implies.)

if you have it sure, but whats the point of getting it, unless you get extremely lucky with token drops and unlucky with gear drops, plus you can buy almost all the off-set gear for a core tankign gear-set

i ran across a tankadin with 4 pc, and i asked him why he got it, he said becuase its the best gear out there bsides icc drops.
i had to clean the soda off my puter screen after that.

for the 10man raider, there are MUCH better gear peices that you can buy compare
1st set is full T10 251, 2cd is T10 2pc with crafted/offset replacements, 3rd is 2pc T10 with 10icc drops
Last edited by bldavis on Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Fath » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:55 pm

bldavis wrote:
Arcand wrote:

if you have it sure, but whats the point of getting it, unless you get extremely lucky with token drops and unlucky with gear drops, plus you can buy almost all the off-set gear for a core tankign gear-set

i ran across a tankadin with 4 pc, and i asked him why he got it, he said becuase its the best gear out there bsides icc drops.
i had to clean off my puter screen after that.

for the 10man raider, there are MUCH better gear peices that you can buy compare
1st set is full T10 251, 2cd is T10 2pc with crafted/offset replacements, 3rd is 2pc T10 with 10icc drops

thanks for all that .. yes i can see your point now .. im thinking ill get the belt first .. then back .. then gloves .. then shoulder t10 .. then head and badge chest then trinket

jesus that is going to take FOREVERRRRRRRR
Fath

Postby Fath » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:38 pm

k i ended up buying the belt with my badges .. and by doing that and changing out an enchant and 1 gem .. i was able to now use my pillars of might and still be at 540 defense
Fath

Postby kysu » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:48 am

Cool, as far as your stuff to get next I personally got the Helm and gloves, gloves for the hit. Yes technically you need 0 hit to tank but I like to be above 120+ if possible.

Also you don't need a macro for the DP(to cancel it) to use the 4 piece, all you need is to click it again and it will start your buff.

Anyway Here ,there is a link on the bottom that will help you choose what to get.
kysu

Postby theckhd » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:26 am

Arcand wrote:

What would be the point of canceling the buff? You can recast Divine Plea even if it's already active.

The 4-piece bonus isn't bad, it's a free cooldown. It's just not a very good cooldown, it's not always available when you need it for certain fights where you have to reapply DP for other reasons. At the 251 level, it's not really worth pursuing compared to the badge options. At the 264 level it's debatable, and at the 277 level the tier gear is preferable anyway.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby bldavis » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:05 am

theckhd wrote:
Arcand wrote:

What would be the point of canceling the buff? You can recast Divine Plea even if it's already active.

The 4-piece bonus isn't bad, it's a free cooldown. It's just not a very good cooldown, it's not always available when you need it for certain fights where you have to reapply DP for other reasons. At the 251 level, it's not really worth pursuing compared to the badge options. At the 264 level it's debatable, and at the 277 level the tier gear is preferable anyway.

and being i have only downed 1 boss in 25 and 6 in 10man so 264 is out of reach for me, much less 277.....

Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby theckhd » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:01 am

bldavis wrote:and being i have only downed 1 boss in 25 and 6 in 10man so 264 is out of reach for me, much less 277.....

Well, that still doesn't make the cooldown itself bad. It just means that you're in a situation that makes it not worth pursuing because you'd be trading down from better badge items to pick it up.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby bldavis » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:04 am

theckhd wrote:
bldavis wrote:and being i have only downed 1 boss in 25 and 6 in 10man so 264 is out of reach for me, much less 277.....

Well, that still doesn't make the cooldown itself bad. It just means that you're in a situation that makes it not worth pursuing because you'd be trading down from better badge items to pick it up.

im sorry

i didnt mean to imply that just becuase of my situation the bonus is bad, in my first post i was saying as a starting tank, i wouldnt get the 4pc, as there are better items to get with your frost emblems.

however if you end up raiding 25's and heroics then i agree, 277 tier are NICE pieces, but for a tank just starting in icc, i would suggest getting the offset first (which is basically what you just said)

bldavis

Postby theckhd » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:18 am

bldavis wrote:
theckhd wrote:

im sorry

i didnt mean to imply that just becuase of my situation the bonus is bad, in my first post i was saying as a starting tank, i wouldnt get the 4pc, as there are better items to get with your frost emblems.

however if you end up raiding 25's and heroics then i agree, 277 tier are NICE pieces, but for a tank just starting in icc, i would suggest getting the offset first (which is basically what you just said)

You don't have to apologize. I just wanted to point out that the distinction between "The cooldown is bad" and "The cooldown is bad for you" is important. The first makes it sound like the cooldown is bad in all cases, which isn't true. The second statement is not only true, but makes the scope of the statement clearer.

We all have a tendency to find the lowest common denominator and remember that rule of thumb (i.e. "4t10 is bad"), which gets us in trouble later on when we slip up and use that rule of thumb in a case where it isn't valid. It's much better to get in the habit of being careful about it all the time, and prevent that slip-up entirely.

<edit> I'm not trying to pick on you, just trying to encourage good writing habits. :)
theckhd

Postby bldavis » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:28 am

theckhd wrote: <edit> I'm not trying to pick on you, just trying to encourage good writing habits. :)

i know i just let it slip by, was only thinking about the OP's situation of being a new tank, and didnt think about later gear levels... :oops:

bldavis

Postby Arcand » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:24 am

theckhd wrote:What would be the point of canceling the buff? You can recast Divine Plea even if it's already active.

There would be no point, in that case. I assumed there'd be a "A more powerful version of this is already active" so I was thinking of a version that would work despite that problem.
Arcand

Postby theckhd » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:35 am

Arcand wrote:
theckhd wrote:What would be the point of canceling the buff? You can recast Divine Plea even if it's already active.

There would be no point, in that case. I assumed there'd be a "A more powerful version of this is already active" so I was thinking of a version that would work despite that problem.

Nope, the DR isn't tied to the Divine Plea buff itself. You get an extra buff called Deliverance when DP is cast with 4-piece active.

I've been resisting the temptation to make a power aura setup that plays a banjo theme whenever it goes off.
theckhd

Postby Fath » Thu May 13, 2010 10:32 am

ok got a few upgrades now ..

but i have a question .. right now i have 2 piece t10 .. shoulders and legs (which i got in voa)
im using them for the bonus currently .. i also have pillars of might in my bag .. i know the pillars
are alot better .. my question is .. should i drop the 2 piece bonus for pilars and just use the t10 shoulders ..
i will be getting the frost badge trinket prolly today or tomorrow .. or should i hold out for the helm for the bonus ??
my question is .. im already kinda low on health .. only around 39k unbuffed which i guess is low since most pallies i
see are easily over 40k unbuffed ..

if i switch to pilars i will have to drop some enchants to dr because my defense drops to 534 .. right now with all stam enchants
and t10 legs im at 554 i believe

just looking for some advice about pillars and also what my next badge purchase should be .. im hoping i might get a shot at
the broken ram skull helm tonite

edit - here is the link to my armory .. i changed to a female be and my name changed but i will be going back to Fath everntually

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Zul%27jin&cn=Sereen

also tonite or tomorrow after my next 25 man run .. i should have my revered rep ring and also i have in my bank the harbinger's bone band with 30 stam gem ..
Fath

Postby Boyfriend » Fri May 14, 2010 1:09 am

I would probably stay with 2Pc for now until you have another piece to use (Get the helmet) as the 2Pc bonus is a massive threat boost, you'll want to switch to pillars as you move into harder content but as long as you're not dying there's no rush. Especially if you're having defense problems it might not be a bad idea to just wait a bit.

If you're not having survivability issues, I'd suggest not sweating over pillars; move them into your gear when it can accomodate them.
Boyfriend
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Basic Training & Talents