[Frost-DK-Tank] Does 3.3.3 change the tanking build at all?

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Re: [Frost-DK-Tank] Does 3.3.3 change the tanking build at all?

Postby Taragor » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:12 pm

Wow thanks so very much for your thorough response.....

Sooo I specced just as you are and glyphed as u are, wondering what's your rotation? I got the tank ring right off the bat in ToC5, no luck on the dps weapon from FoS, and quite frankly Im scared as shit of HoR as tank on this guy/girl. Soo thats next. Im at 86 frost badges and trying to do VoA so we will see how it works to get the t10 2pc asap. Off to a good start, Im pretty happy so far.
Taragor

Postby Vorianloken » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:37 am

My rotation is :

IT --> PS -- > Obliterate --> Blood Strike x2 --> Frost Strike
Obliteratex2 --> BSx2 --> FS

Save Killing Machine procs for FS. Use Rime procs when they happen. Always Obliterate when you get death runes.

On trash I usually do:

HB --> PS --> Pestilence --> Blood Boil --> Oblit --> Frost Strike

And then it's just a matter of what procs I get.

Save Killing Machine procs to coincide with Rime procs And prioritize HB while keeping both diseases up on the mobs.
Vorianloken - 80 Prot/Ret || Ajeet - 80 Frost Tank/Unholy DPS || Nunnaly - 80 Cat/Tree Druid || Bulveye - 74 Protection Warrior || Sherana - 80 Combat Rogue || Shadallas - 40 Demo Warlock

US-Medivh Power! 7th April 2010 - The day when Dual-Wield Frost Tanking was assassinated. R.I.P my dear friend.
Vorianloken

Postby Gerunna » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:16 am

If you don't feel up to running the ICC heroics for dual Black Icicles or Nighttimes, you can do what I did and farm normal mode HoR for dual Ghoulslicers. Sure they are lower item lvl than the heroic weapons, but they're loaded with expertise plus they look awesome with the tank runeforge on them.

I also noticed your cloak doesn't have an enchant; you could get +16 defense rating or 225 armor on it. I'd probably lean toward armor if you're still over the defense soft cap after regemming. Another thing you might consider is postponing buying any T10 pieces and getting the frost badge tank cloak. It was my first priority because while most of my other gear was 226-232+, I too was still sporting the Wyrmrest cloak, so it ended up being the biggest single upgrade per frost badge for me.
ImageImage
Gerunna

Postby Shoju » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:13 am

Vorianloken wrote:My rotation is :

IT --> PS -- > Obliterate --> Blood Strike x2 --> Frost Strike
Obliteratex2 --> BSx2 --> FS

Save Killing Machine procs for FS. Use Rime procs when they happen. Always Obliterate when you get death runes.

On trash I usually do:

HB --> PS --> Pestilence --> Blood Boil --> Oblit --> Frost Strike

And then it's just a matter of what procs I get.

Save Killing Machine procs to coincide with Rime procs And prioritize HB while keeping both diseases up on the mobs.

Why do you bother 2 diseasing trash?

HB - BB - BB - Ob - FS, or if need be

DnD - HB - BB - FS/RS

2 diseasing trash mobs just isn't worth it IMO. GoHB gives you FF on all mobs it hits, which properly debuffs them, and really, that is all you need on trash.
Shoju

Postby Taragor » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:46 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions! Vori I will try that rotation out. I am having a hard time learning how to do the diseases, or should I say, how to monitor them.

Geruna, I got nighttime today in HFoS, and yes I will need to do something about my cloak. As for the frost badges, I was thinking pants...I have prob enough frost on my main to make the crafted legs, but thats alot to drop on one character who isnt really raid tanking yet. But my current blue pants with no gems or enchants is just sucking it up lol

Gotta say, Im having fun getting to know a new style of tanking...and I sure as hell am missing death grip when i switch to tanking on my pally main =/
Taragor

Postby Levantine » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:50 pm

Shoju wrote:Why do you bother 2 diseasing trash?

DnD - HB - BB - FS/RS

2 diseasing trash mobs just isn't worth it IMO. GoHB gives you FF on all mobs it hits, which properly debuffs them, and really, that is all you need on trash.

For heroic level trash that dies in like 5 gcds absolutely. I heart GoHB trash tanking. <3
Levantine

Postby Vorianloken » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:34 am

Shoju wrote:Why do you bother 2 diseasing trash?

DnD - HB - BB - FS/RS

In heroics I never 2-disease as that is just a waste of time.

In raids however I do use both diseases. And I frequently use Empower Rune Weapon to reset my runes to help with all that.

And yes the Howling Blast glyph is awesome :)

Taragor wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions! Vori I will try that rotation out. I am having a hard time learning how to do the diseases, or should I say, how to monitor them.

Geruna, I got nighttime today in HFoS, and yes I will need to do something about my cloak. As for the frost badges, I was thinking pants...I have prob enough frost on my main to make the crafted legs, but thats alot to drop on one character who isnt really raid tanking yet. But my current blue pants with no gems or enchants is just sucking it up lol

Gotta say, Im having fun getting to know a new style of tanking...and I sure as hell am missing death grip when i switch to tanking on my pally main =/

I use to be crap at watching diseases then I just kinda dunno got good at it. But I did mess with an add-on called Disease Watch recently and it's pretty nice. Basically you can set it to flash your screen with a certain color and/or play a sound when your diseases fall off. Or you can try Need To Know to track the timers for your buffs/debuffs - you have to set them all up. I used NTK for a loooong time. Mostly to track my Rime/KM procs in the old ToC days :)

As for the pants... they are GOOD. I have neglected to get them on my paladin since he is kinda semi-raid-retired since I got too busy lately with RL and wasn't raiding at all and there's hardly anything I need from badges, not to mention I already have 264 legs. 46k unbuffed and 5800 gs gets me all I want for raids :)
Vorianloken - 80 Prot/Ret || Ajeet - 80 Frost Tank/Unholy DPS || Nunnaly - 80 Cat/Tree Druid || Bulveye - 74 Protection Warrior || Sherana - 80 Combat Rogue || Shadallas - 40 Demo Warlock

US-Medivh Power! 7th April 2010 - The day when Dual-Wield Frost Tanking was assassinated. R.I.P my dear friend.
Vorianloken

Postby Taragor » Mon May 03, 2010 10:16 am

So some updates here, I got a nice pair of boots in FoS, also got dual night times now, and I made the 264 pants using Prim Saronite off my main (300 frost badges to spend and nothing to buy cept that lol). Over the weekend ran some more heroics, and am getting the rotation down better. Last night ran icc 10 on my main Pally and still love my pally to death. But the DK dual wield is at least making up for the down time when i have nothing to do on my main.
On a side note, was treated pretty well by most pugs on the DK, but a couple were just asswipes...{ooh we need a real tank, your gear sucks)...I would like to remind people that heroics are the place to gear up, if not there, where? I am always courteous when i pug randoms on my pally, and try to look at it as my "giving back" to people who are gearing up.

Thanks again to everyone in here for the help.
Taragor

Postby Shoju » Tue May 04, 2010 11:25 am

I've come to the realization that I'm a bad DK tank to talk about this stuff. I don't watch to time rime/KB procs, I just go through my rotation, tank stuff, and it dies.

I will refrain from commenting further.
Shoju

Postby Vorianloken » Tue May 04, 2010 1:12 pm

Shoju wrote:I've come to the realization that I'm a bad DK tank to talk about this stuff. I don't watch to time rime/KB procs, I just go through my rotation, tank stuff, and it dies.

I will refrain from commenting further.

I don't either honestly. The rime/KM sync mattered back in ToC, but these days I hear (unconfirmed) that KM should always be used for FS whether or not Rime is up.

Vorianloken

Postby blakk » Tue May 04, 2010 1:43 pm

idk about for tanking but for dps it's still a dps increase to hit HB on a KM+RHIME
blakk

Postby Shoju » Wed May 05, 2010 6:55 am

Here is how I tank.

AoE (trash/boss with adds) - DnD - Hb - BB - (tap)BB - Ob - DUMP to start, then it's a priority system

FU open and HB is avail? hit it
Blood runes open? BB
FU open and HB down? Ob?
>52 RP? FS

Single Target

IT - PS - BS - BS - OB - DUMP - OB - OB - IT - PS - Dump

and just follow along like that. If FF procs, then I will HB.

I never have aggro trouble except in an AoE situation going against higher geared dps. I have an Affliction lock in guild who can drop really staggering numbers on trash packs. About half way through a pull in H:FoS last night I lost the bone caster and a gnome/dwarf to her aggro because my tab targetting didn't hit them with a RS.

I got roasted about how I tank by a well known DK tank on my realm for talking about DK tanking when I apparently don't know anything about how to do it.
Shoju

Postby superworm » Wed May 05, 2010 9:11 am

I think it depends on the situation. As a tank you don't (usually) need to sustain high dps. You just need to sustain enough threat. With the 3.33 IT buff we dk tanks could leisurely choose between threat and dps. I would try to maintain a high dps rotation, if there is nothing else happening, but generally tanks have much more important things to concern about unless you're doing outgeared contents.

I have two tanking builds on my dk: one is blood and the other frost. In heroic ICC, I use frost tanking on Saurfang/Blood Queen/Dreamwalker. I use a 2-handed weapon build with Icy Reach and Chilblains, because it helps the raid most (and I won't have enough talents if I DW tank). When someone is about to catch up with my threat, I would chain IT and time the KM procs with IT to get more threat. Occasionally I would use BS instead of OB to self-heal.
With Icy Reach and Chilblains I can easily slow those blood beasts in Saurfang encounter and trash mobs in Dreamwalker encounter with 30 yard HB. I can easily taunt and icechain one blood beast when it gets too close to the ranged. And, if needed, I can easily slow those vile spirits in LK encounter (though generally I use blood spec and main-tank the LK).

What I want to say is that, it doesn't hurt to try to do your best even in outgeared encounters, but when it comes to the cutting edge progression, you should focus on something more important, like how to live through the encounter and how to help the raid most. The gospel 3.33 gives us is that we won't need to pay too much attention to our threat and thus could focus on other things. And the change to WotN makes blood really shine in tanking LK/Sindrogosa, especially in heroic mode.
superworm

Previous

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes