Remove Advertisements

Young Tankadin wanting some help and advice

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Young Tankadin wanting some help and advice

Postby Naberius » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:51 am

Hello folks,

I have been looking over the forums quite a lot lately, and I find the advice on the forum an immense help.

Now for the question part, I am currently playing a little Pala (level 40 now), rolled it recently and I am enjoying tanking quite a bit. If any of you can give me advice as to what gear/spec I can use to level up I would be very grateful.

Here is my armory link : http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... n=Naberius

Now, is the Heirloom items worth keeping, or should I rather get gear crafted/farm for gear? I am using both Heirloom trinkets, as one of my mates told me that some of our attacks scale well with spellpower, and mostly to help with the mana-issues that most Tankadins experience. The other one is the one that replenishes 2% of maximum health after a kill.

A question regarding threat: I am running Seal Of Righteousness with Devotion Aura and Blessing of Sanctuary, but when I get a mage or a warlock in my group, I feel that I need to use Righteous Defense on them a LOT. What kind of rotation would you recommend?

I hope that my questions weren't too newb :D

Thanks in advance for any help.

Naberius
Naberius

Re: Young Tankadin wanting some help and advice

Postby Barathorn » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:38 am

Hello!

Definately use the heirloom gear, for the areas you don't have heirloom gear in any plate items with stamina/strength or stamina/agility should be considered.

Your rotation will be goverened by the abilities you have, you shouldn't have too much trouble to AoE if you tab through the targets and get a consecrate down before people start to nuke. You may wish to use retribution aura for additional aggro. If you have to taunt so be it, it is what we have RD and HoReckoning for.

I wouldn't worry about getting crafted gear until level 80 in honesty. You will level so quickly that it becomes outdated and you need to save your cash for 80 when you will definately want to purchase some crafted items.

/edit - there are some tanking gear items that Blacksmiths make that will make the leveling process from level 70 easier if you plan to level as a tank.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Naberius » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:18 am

Thanks a lot for the reply Barathorn.

I have already bought Breastplate of the White Knight for when I ding 80, and in all honesty, crafting items/gold isn't that much of a problem. I am also concentrating on leveling my professions (Blacksmith & Mining), so I can most likely craft gear as I level, which would make it a bit easier on the pocket.

I plan on leveling as Tank, mainly because I enjoy tanking with the Pala, and secondly, if I get him to 80, and geared appropriately I will have one of every class in the game. (Melee DPS, Ranged DPS, Tree Healer)

Another question, the Spellpower Heirloom trinket, is that any good? Should I look at items that have Defense Rating, but lesser Stamina, or just plain Stamina at this stage?

And spec-wise, can you recommend a good leveling spec?

Thanks for listening to my newbie questions :D

Naberius
Naberius

Postby Barathorn » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:10 am

In honesty unless you plan to level through instances there is little need for +def prior to level 68. Once you hit Northrend you will have most likely the cobalt tanking gear from your blacksmithing and later on the daunting BSmith gear and finally a couple of crafted epic at 80.

If you plan on doing lots of dungeons then you will need to pay more attention to your defence rating to save your healer from a sudden fit of 'What the hell'!!

Trinkets are few and far between for <60 so the spellpower one while not optimal, is useful and its perfectly ok to use that while you level to 68.

Leveling wise with regards to spec, I would try to get as much strength and defensability through talents as possible[divine strength/redoubt/blessing of sanctuary]. You don't 'need' to look at the dodge and parry talents immediately but they will help later on.

I will try to dig up a leveling spec for you when I get home.

Barathorn
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Naberius » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:25 am

Thanks for the great advice Barathorn, it is much appreciated! :D
Naberius

Postby bldavis » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:17 am

dam.... GJ Bara

you took out the need for the rest of us to even check this thread! :twisted:

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Barathorn » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:27 am

bldavis wrote:dam.... GJ Bara

I had some time and someone needed help, was a no brainer for me, that was how I started here - no brains :wink: . Some would say nothing has changed :lol: .

However I didn't have chance to dig out a decent leveling spec last night so if anyone has the time to help Naberius with that that would be cool.

Barathorn

Barathorn

Postby bldavis » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:49 am

Barathorn wrote:
bldavis wrote:dam.... GJ Bara

I had some time and someone needed help, was a no brainer for me, that was how I started here - no brains :wink: . Some would say nothing has changed :lol: .

However I didn't have chance to dig out a decent leveling spec last night so if anyone has the time to help Naberius with that that would be cool.

Barathorn

ill link what i used but im not sure it will help a whole lot, it probably sucked...

heres the prot speci had

and the ret spec

Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Naberius » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:24 am

Thanks a lot for the specs bldavis, I will have a look at it tonight when I get home.

Naberius
Naberius

Postby bldavis » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:43 am

Naberius wrote:Thanks a lot for the specs bldavis, I will have a look at it tonight when I get home.

Naberius

np, like bara im just happy to help

this site helped me learn how to be a tank, and according to many of my wow friends im a better tank then dps :shock:

bldavis

Postby yappo » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:07 pm

Even though you still have a fair amount of levels to get there, at around 60 - 62 you're likely to hit Zangarmarsh. There's a quest that awards a three gem-slot plate helmet. Hang on to it. With WotLK gems available it's almost godlike until lvl 75 - 78 or so. For the same reasons, check out the Adamantite set which you should be able to craft as a blacksmith.
yappo

Postby Arcand » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:39 pm

yappo wrote:For the same reasons, check out the Adamantite set which you should be able to craft as a blacksmith.

Or the Felsteel, if the plans happen to drop. Many slots in those.
Arcand

Postby Naberius » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:34 pm

yappo wrote:There's a quest that awards a three gem-slot plate helmet.

I am trying to find a link to that helm, but I can't find it, I will most probably have to troll around the internet a bit more..

I want to get to Outland as soon as possible, and *hopefully* I can get there after this weekend, although it is quite a long shot (due to the fact that the guild I am in at the moment always ninja's my time to help with ICC heroic 10man :( )

Once again, thanks a lot for the positive input folks! :D
Naberius

Postby bldavis » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:36 am

dont forget the cobalt and saronite sets when you hit NR!

those served me well up until i replaced them with tier9/raid drops and a couple heroic drops

they will get you a good tnak set clear through.

GL adn Happy Tanking!

bldavis

Postby lovepump » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:11 am

Great Thread
Thank you
"From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remembered;
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he today that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother"
lovepump

Next

Return to Basic Training & Talents