Remove Advertisements

Fitness and being Healthy

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Thalia » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:48 pm

Hey guys,

So as of January I made a resolution to take back my body and go back to feeling and looking like I was before I got pregnant. I did manage to lose most of the baby weight from my first daughter until I found out, soon after, that I was again pregnant with our second daughter. After the birth of my second I found myself distracted and gained weight. As of February I started working out about 3-4 times a week to Tae Bo Extreme and Tae Bo Abs, I also joined weight watchers. I am pleased to say that I've lost almost 20 pounds and only have 10 pounds to go until i reach my actual pre-marriage weight. I have been using some weights on my arms, and I feel better then ever, and I am starting to enjoy wearing cute clothes again.

I want this to be a lifestyle though, that's why I am not doing that P90X. I have to do something I can sustain, like I can totally see myself able to work out 2-3 times a week forever, and I think the weight watchers is totally doable since I get to eat whatever I want but in balance. I also have trained myself to drink more water throughout the day, as compared to before where I pretty much only drank diet coke.

I am asking for your advice and life tips on how to sustain feeling fit and looking healthy as part of your everyday life. I have started drinking green tea during dinner and I think that is helping me too.

Over all, tips for fun workouts, healthy but yummy cooking, vitamin talk etc.

Thanks.
Thalia

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Arnock » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:46 pm

been trying to run a mile every morning before I leave, but I keep sleeping in too late and running out of time.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:06 pm

Back in school I made sure I always had a PE class to keep myself from becoming a fatass. My metabolism is frighteningly high though, so it ended up being just a break from sitting in a classroom. Right now I just walk to and from work, that's about a mile total, about 5 days a week. When I move to Florida, I might pick up running again. And if I get around to moving in with some friends, we'll probably buy some free weights to share.

I eat fairly healthy. Good balance of fruits, vegetables, and different sorts of meat. I don't do salad or fish, so that restricts things a bit, but I've found ways to get around it. I don't really count calories or anything like that. Just eat in proportion to how much energy I use that day.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby mew » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:17 pm

Grats! :D I'm proud of you

A bunch of us on the Blizzcon forums are doing fitness blogs using the con as a goal. http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... 4905&sid=1
You should make one and join in.

I've actually been having some trouble losing weight this time around (this is like my 5th time losing weight I gained back) :( In January I decided to go back to the gym, I haven't gained any weight since then. But since April I've been more consistent about going to the gym and watching what I eat as well and I have gained 2 lbs. I can lift a lot more than I used to, my shoulders are doing great, I can run faster, I can punch and kick stronger, I'm more flexible, all that stuff, but I haven't noticed any visible physical improvement :( I think I am just being impatient, but it has been a whole month.
I am going to go through all my blog entries and re-read them to get a feel of how much I actually break from my diet. I think the problem is that I let myself slowly get in to the dieting and I also let myself break from it too much. I think, for some reason, this time is a lot harder than last time for me to lose weight. But I am also doing a lot more weights this time than last, I just don't know how quick it is to put on muscle and if there has even been sufficient time for me to put on 2-3 lbs of muscle weight or if I have been somehow just gaining fat.
ImageImage
mew

Postby mew » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:24 pm

You have to find an exercise that you enjoy. Are there any sports that you like (swimming, basketball, running, volleyball, soccer, etc)? If so, try to pick those up. I don't know how old your kids are but I'm pretty sure they walk and run and stuff right? You should try to play sports with them like soccer or whatever kids these days play. Also switch up your exercise methods so you don't get bored (so like do one thing one day and a different thing the next day if you have multiple exercises that you enjoy).

Eating is the hard part for me :( I hear calorie counting is always the way to go. Similar with the exercise, try to find foods that you enjoy that aren't bad for you and eat more of those (like working more vegetables you like in to meals and less dark meat). Oh, another thing that is really helping me are the 100 calorie packs of cookies and other snacks.

I think you have the right idea already though. Find your balance between "having" to do it (it=diet and exercise) and things you actually enjoy doing.
ImageImage
mew

Postby Barathorn » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:12 am

I have lost 3 stone since November. I want to lose another 3 stone before I will be happy again with my weight.

All I do now is walk to work every day, occasionally use the Wii Fit or rowing machine and watch what I eat - ie don't sit down to watch a film and eat a bag of crisps, instead I will have an apple or a low fat muller thingy. We also plan to start swimming again as we stupidly stopped after getting back upto swimming a mile and a half to 2 miles on a sunday morning. Swimming is very relaxing and I found it gave me lots of time to think uninterupted.

I am determined that my weight is not going to yoyo like a lot of my friends who diet, then put it on, then diet etc. It is about a lifestyle change for us and we determined early on we would do it right and just do it the once.

The key to it all is simple, do things you enjoy and don't make it regimented. Look for treats that are tasty but low in fat and sugar so if you want a treat you don't crave it and then binge.

I wish I had done this sooner but am determined to make it work now.

Barathorn
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Boyfriend » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:11 am

Between work, raiding and other commitements I've had to replace dinner with a banana. Not exactly healthy I guess but I lost 10kg over the past 3 months, need to find time to eat more again. (I don't actually want to lose weight)
Boyfriend
Maintankadonor

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:19 am

Well, as far as I can tell, if you commit yourself to a half hour of exercise every day, that's a good start.
Breakfast is more important than lunch that is more important than dinner.
Snacking between meals is bad
Sodas are worse
Sleeping adequate amounts of hours per day is very important too. To most people that's 8 hours. Skipping sleep, akin to skipping meals, contributes towards a few health problems, including accumulating more fat.

What worked for me, since I have yet to find a gym that works when I can go to one, was to hang on a personal trainer's shoulder till I knew enough to get by myself. Another good thing is to try and maximize your movement over the day. Need to buy some milk, or a missing good to cook today's lunch? It's a 10 minutes walk to the store.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby phaqueue » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:41 am

If you're trying to lose weight, running is a great way to do it - I've just gotten back into working out as well...

doing Interval Running is actually shown to burn more fat than endurance running is... so basically you run for a set time (I usually do 2 1/2 minutes) then you walk/power walk for a set time (again I do 2 1/2 minutes) and alternate like this for your workout

As far as eating healthy - one thing you should try to do is to eat a 5-6 smaller meals, as it allows your metabolism to be constantly running, helping you to use the food as energy instead of storing it...
Also, doing the best you can to avoid things with "High Fructose Corn Syrup" is very good for you... natural sugar is much better, studies have shown that High Fructose Corn Syrup actually causes your body to store more fat.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby firstamendme » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:25 am

I'm also trying to tone up a bit (maybe get back down to 210lbs or so). I've been lifting weights a lot more so my apetite has skyrocketed, but I find that when my stomach complains I can fix the issue with a big cup of coffee and a pep talk of "Shut the fuck up, stomach, you do what I say."

I generally find a fitness plan of 'Put down the fork and get up off your ass' is quite effective.

I know that sleep is important, but I was recently reading a study that pointed to 6 hours a night instead of 8 for the average person. There was some link between the extra 2 hours and likelihood of heart issues. I've got to try and find that link...
firstamendme

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:30 am

There's a limit to how much I care about the potential problems caused by everyfuckingthing. 6hours minimum is what the brain needs to properly assimilate the previous day's worth of knowledge(hence why cramming is bad), and the comfortable amount of rest does tend to call for more than that minimum.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby firstamendme » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:41 am

I think it's more important to just find the number of hours at which you have little trouble waking up in the morning and feel rested throughout the day. I just thought it was an interesting study as we seldom look at the implications of 'too much' sleep.

Something I have found extremely important (for me at least) is going to the gym even if I feel too tired or sore. If I at least drag myself there and walk on a treadmill for 30 minutes it keeps the habit of driving to the gym straight from work on that day. The little bit of exercise from the walk sometimes even wakes me up/takes away some soreness. Breaking the physical habit of driving straight to the gym after work is a big thing for keeping the pattern up.
firstamendme

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:43 am

Generally speaking the tiredness and laziness I fel over the day is over as soon as I recover from the exercises. It's a good thing it makes you think clearer too.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Arnock » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:44 am

Snake-Aes wrote:Snacking between meals is bad

I've always heard the opposite. Eating a healthy snack between meals helps your metabolism so your body doesn't want to store as much excess from the meals, it also helps keep you from being quite as hungry at mealtimes so you dont over eat when the time comes around.

Granted, I'm not exactly in the best of shape myself, so I may be wrong.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:51 am

Arnock wrote:
Snake-Aes wrote:Snacking between meals is bad

I've always heard the opposite. Eating a healthy snack between meals helps your metabolism so your body doesn't want to store as much excess from the meals, it also helps keep you from being quite as hungry at mealtimes so you dont over eat when the time comes around.

Granted, I'm not exactly in the best of shape myself, so I may be wrong.

Those two things can get mixed up rather easily. It's one thing to organize yourself to eat 4 or 5 times a day. You spread the whole process better. Eating inbetween programmed meals is what kills. Especially since it's more than likely to be trash food.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to Arkham Asylum