[Bear] I suck, halp!

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Bear] I suck, halp!

Postby Worldie » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:18 am

This is my bear.

Now, my problem is that i can't hold aggro in most AoEsituation, and if i meet proper DPS i can't even on single target if i don't start with Berserk.
What i'm doing is, for AoE just spam Swipe/Glyphed Maul and randomly Mangle mobs. For single target, i adopt a priority list as Mangle > FFF > Swipe keeping Lacerate ticking and Maul constantly used as long as i got rage.

Is there anything i'm doing wrong gear / spec / rotation wise? (I know i'm a cheap bastard on gems / enchants :P )
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Re: [Bear] I suck, halp!

Postby Doogiehowser » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:01 am

That priority looks right. Have you macroed Maul into every single move? I really never run into an issue of rage starvation except in places like H VH. I go out of my way to find little critters to kill when that happens.

Single Target

Mangle on cooldown, FF on cooldown, get Lacerate up to 5 stacks and keep it there. When you have it at 5 stacks, throw in a swipe but keep Lacerate up. It does a very good amount of threat.

If you're really pressed on threat in the middle of the fight and you have Lacerate at 5 stacks, pop berserk and Mangle until you need to refresh Lacerate.

Otherwise, there's not much more you can do in terms of "rotation".

AoE

Swipe and Macro in Maul. Tab through your targets and use "high threat" moves like Mangle, FF, or even tossing a Lacerate on them for some "longer term" threat.

Really dumb question, do you have thorns up?

Edits:

Just looked at your gear. Are you tanking for raids? Heroics? Pug raids? For heroics, I like to have a little more crit/agi than what you have. A Greatness card is really nice but if you don't want to spend the money, get the Idol of the Corruptor (+153 agi proc on Mangle) instead of the dodge one. It gives you armor, crit, AP, which two of those will help with Threat.

Maybe switch out your expertise/stam gem for an agi/stam gem? Your crit seems a little low but hey, that will come with better gear. I think you're pretty good the way you are. Just make liberal use of Feral Charge so you get there a second or two ahead of the dps. :)
Doogiehowser

Postby kysu » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:33 am

Nah what your doing is basically it, just tab about a bit and make sure your mauling diff targets.

I can't remember but as far as your chest enchant I believe the stam one is better then the pure 275 hp.(I did the same thing and a pro bear was like "pally nubben")This was a few patches ago so maybe it changed?

I also have bars 1 setup with maul into every ability then bar 2 without the maul. Basically incase i get rage starved and need to get the ability off.

oh worldie you make me sad get IW!! I noticed you using improved mangle, make sure your not using it late since the way it comes off c/d is weird(lower gcd on FFF).

Boss would be FFF on the way in, then Mangle lac lac mangle lac lac mangle lac zerk, mangle spam. Then keep up priority of Mangle FFF Swipe lac. With improved mangle your lacerate will almost fall off every time so I don't recommend it if you uber laggy. The norm is 1-3 seconds left at most before you need to refresh it.

Here is my bear
kysu

Postby sherck » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:09 am

kysu wrote:I also have bars 1 setup with maul into every ability then bar 2 without the maul. Basically incase i get rage starved and need to get the ability off.

Hmmm, I already use too many bars for my cat, cat (stealthed), caster and all my abilities.

I fail at macros. How would a macro look that tied Maul to, say, Swipe if the button is hit but would "unlink" it if the Shift key were held down?

That way, in a rage starved fight, I could just keep the shift key down while hitting my abilities and then do Maul manually.

Cheers,
sherck

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:03 am

sherck wrote:I fail at macros. How would a macro look that tied Maul to, say, Swipe if the button is hit but would "unlink" it if the Shift key were held down?

/cast swipe
/cast [nomod:shift] maul
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby kysu » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:12 am

Well here is one that I was able to find: NO idea if it works.

Code: Select all
/cast [mod:shift,form:3] Ferocious Bite;[mod:alt,form:3]Rip;[form:3] Maim
/stopmacro [form:3]
/cast [nomod:alt] !Maul
/cast [mod:shift] Mangle (Bear)(); Lacerate

So considering that it would probably look like:

/showtooltip# Mangle (bear)
/cast Mangle (Bear)
/cast [nomod:shift] !Maul

If it works make sure you have maul on your bars to see if it is queueing up correctly. We used to have a bear with these macros that was terri and he had it written in such a way that maul was never getting queue'd

Edit: FUZZY DAMMIT I was typing it all prudy like and here you come in NINJA!!... anyway when I get home I will verify the order.
Edit2(it tickled my pickle):For the tooltip of non mauls
Edit3: This is what I currently use:

#showtooltip Mangle (Bear)
/cast Mangle (Bear)
/cast Maul
Last edited by kysu on Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
kysu

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:19 pm

I did forget to put the "!" on :)

And I prefer to have the non-ONA command first for more clarity on the button, so it'll show "swipe" instead of "maul."

Although a bear bar full of "maul" would be pretty amusing.

You can just add a #showtooltip Swipe to the first line to get around this, if you want to put the commands in the opposite order; I don't think it makes a difference.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby amh » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:25 pm

Yeah, the "#showtooltip Ability" is irrelevant. You can "#showtooltip Aquatic Form /cast !Maul /cast Mangle" if that tickles your pickle.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes