Remove Advertisements

First time tanking .. need some advice

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Re: First time tanking .. need some advice

Postby Wrathy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:08 am

Fath wrote:one other question .. what addon do u use to see how many stacks the other tank has on them in order to know when you
need to taunt off ?

You dont need an addon to see debufs on another raid member, the blizzard default UI will allow you to see that by setting your Focus Target to your OT, however I use Pitbull to customize my unit frames and have all non essential buffs not showing. That way I can see what debufs are up on my OT at all times and react accordingly.
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:08 am

i use dbm, but have heard great things about DXE (deus vox encounters)

and i ran ICC10 last week, the timers from a dps running DXE were better then my dbm ones, so we just had him call them out over vent.

i also use pitbull and have debuffs showing
Last edited by bldavis on Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Wrathy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:57 am

bldavis wrote:i use dbm, but have heard great things about DVX (deus vox ..... something lol)

and i ran ICC10 last week, the timers from a dps running DVX were better then my dbm ones, so we just had him call them out over vent.

i also use pitbull and have debuffs showing

DXE (DVX or Deus VoX) is great, I started using it when the DBM Anub Shadow Strike timers were off and it was rocking four of our raiders a SS. I would highly recommend DXE to anyone who wants to switch it up.
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby Fath » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:32 am

still havent tried a raid yet .. scared .. going to try the weekly 10 man .. since i definitely outgear razorscale

was in a FoS heroic earlier and there was this 5800gs dk who kept dropping dd right away and i said can you please relax with the dd til i get aggro and he is like no u lol

edit

tried my first 10 man voa .. it went pretty bad .. we ended up wiping with just 100k left on the ice boss .. dunno what was happening but i was tanking so much damage .. same with the warrior tank .. i dunno
Fath

Postby Arcand » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:27 pm

Fath wrote:tried my first 10 man voa .. it went pretty bad .. we ended up wiping with just 100k left on the ice boss .. dunno what was happening but i was tanking so much damage .. same with the warrior tank .. i dunno

Coldavon, or whatever his name is, applies a stacking debuff that increases frost damage taken. That's his 'enrage timer'. I'd guess your group's DPS weren't good enough to beat it.
Arcand

Postby Fath » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:00 pm

could have been my tanking .. who knows .. i was looking at the stacks and they are very hard to see on the default blizzard ui .. seems like it takes awhile for him to apply them
Fath

Postby Arcand » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:09 pm

It is pretty slow; it's not a proc-on-hit or anything. WoWhead says that every time he summons adds, he then applies another (raidwide?) stack of the debuff. This keeps happening until he dies or your healers crack under the ever-increasing strain.
Arcand

Postby Fath » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:55 pm

well just to update .. i successfully tanked koran and tovaron or whatever their names are in voa10 and all is well ..
gonna attempt 25 man .. i know its not a big deal .. but for me it was since it was my first raid boss
Fath

Postby bldavis » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:21 am

gratz on 10man kills

25's are pretty much the same, just more of it

and i would have suggested going into Naxx for your first raid, just to get a feel for raid tanking, but still gratz!

Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Fath » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:03 am

i saw a thread a week ago .. it was about how u could get a 5400gs but not even stepping foot in a raid
with just badges and crafting .. i have pretty much evertything i can get outside of raiding and frost badges and
all im at is 5048
Fath

Postby bldavis » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:53 pm

Fath wrote:i saw a thread a week ago .. it was about how u could get a 5400gs but not even stepping foot in a raid
with just badges and crafting .. i have pretty much evertything i can get outside of raiding and frost badges and
all im at is 5048

<- is jealous now
didnt break 5k until i had 2 icc drops....

now my hunter on the other hand is sitting at like 5023 or something like that and has 1 icc drop (chest off DBS)

and come to think of it, has 3/4 in the first wing, yet still has not downed Marrowgar...

bldavis

Postby Fath » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:25 pm

well just thought i would update .. i tanked 5/12 icc 10 man tonite .. mostly offtank but no wipes
got the chest off marrowgar .. and have 60 badges .. dont know what to get first ..
everything is an upgrade ..

trinket .. back .. gloves .. belt .. and t10
Fath

Postby bldavis » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:17 pm

WOOT congratz!

the concensus is the blet first if i remember right, but for the most part replace your weakest piece first

and as far as t10, the pally t10 4-piece is a joke just get 2 piece and offsets.
i have tier helm and shoulders, but offset everything else

bldavis

Postby Fath » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:53 am

the t10 4 piece bonus is really bad ?? all the big raiding guild pallies on my server are 4 piece t10

so the optimal gearing if im not going beyond into hard modes is

t10 helm
t10 shoulders
cataclysmic chest
gloves of the kraken
badge belt
badge cloak
badge trinket
pillars of might legs

?
i have pilars of might but i cant equip them because i loose like 80 defense rating
Fath

Postby bldavis » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:24 am

T10 4-piece yes its that bad, i only activate DP at the start of a fight, and if there is a long enough period that it falls off.

bldavis

PreviousNext

Return to Basic Training & Talents