Remove Advertisements

How to make Gold as a tank?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: How to make Gold as a tank?

Postby Koatanga » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:17 pm

I got a 5x proc on my Cardinal Ruby xmute on Monday :)

GDKP is good for ToC still due to the trinkets in there that people missed out on, plus alts being geared.

GDKP is attractive to geared people who want easy gold for playing the game, as well as for those who need to be carried but have the gold to buy gear.

You will find it odd the first time to see a DPS bidding against a tank for a tank piece, but keep in mind that in the GDKP world, there is no concept of spec or even class. If you have gold enough to win it, it's yours.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Fanazavana » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:24 am

So I hit 435 in Inscription last night thanks to the guide amh linked. Fairly painless, though what some people charge for Icecap is ridiculous.

Anyway, around level 300 I realized that I'd probably have been better off unlearning Mining on my lvl 73 rogue alt (since I have mining on my main) and leveling inscription with him. Then I'd level Jewelcrafting on my main.

The reason being Inscription holds zero bonuses for me as a tank. Jewelcrafting, on the other hand, allows extra gem slots, which means more stam/def/whatever that has application in raids.

Oh well. Time to start making money for my crafted legs and boots. To Daemonym's blog!
Fanazavana

Postby Kelaan » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:02 am

Fanazavana wrote:To Daemonym's blog!

Indeed. I'm really enjoying this, especially the recent posts on breaking into an (already nearly monopolized) new market.
Kelaan

Postby Talderas » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:20 am

Koatanga wrote:GDKP is good for ToC still due to the trinkets in there that people missed out on, plus alts being geared.

GDKP is attractive to geared people who want easy gold for playing the game, as well as for those who need to be carried but have the gold to buy gear.

You will find it odd the first time to see a DPS bidding against a tank for a tank piece, but keep in mind that in the GDKP world, there is no concept of spec or even class. If you have gold enough to win it, it's yours.

Aye, our ICC10 group cores a GDKP run. We did 8 bosses last week (No Putricide, No Blood Queen, No Sindragosa). This week our goal is to add Blood Queen to the list of downed bosses. Putricide if we can get a 3rd main-spec tank rather than a 3rd off-spec tank. It's profitable, at least 2,500g every week so far.
Vanifae wrote:Let it be known that on the morning of the 25th of March in the year of our Lord 2010, I agree with Minnerva.
Talderas

Postby daemonym » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:49 pm

Fanazavana wrote:The reason being Inscription holds zero bonuses for me as a tank.

Incorrect. It gives you no stamina bonuses. It gives you about 1% of dodge and saves you the 100 some odd gold for shoulder enchants and it previously let you skip the hodir chain/grind. That's the only reason under the sun I leveled it on my warrior. Little did I know...

EDIT: Granted 1% dodge might not be at good compared to the 30stam/15resil pvp shoulder enchant, but it's far from worthless. But that's only if you prefer the pvp enchant over the hodir one, though I like me some stamina (I can't believe I'm actually saying that).

Jewelcrafting, on the other hand, allows extra gem slots

Also incorrect, you're thinking of black smithing. JC gives specialty gems with dragon's eyes.

For my post on inscription you'll have to go back a month or two, but feel free to PM me with any questions you might have.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby Fanazavana » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:09 pm

True facts, daemonym. I am actually running with the PVP enchant, and I grinded the Hodir rep soon after dinging 80, so the single shoulder enchant bonus from Inscription... meh.

Tried selling a bunch of glyphs over the last couple days and have been failing miserably. About 90% of them come back expired... I need to read your blog posts on the topic again and see what I'm doing wrong.
Fanazavana

Postby daemonym » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:35 pm

Fanazavana wrote:True facts, daemonym. I am actually running with the PVP enchant, and I grinded the Hodir rep soon after dinging 80, so the single shoulder enchant bonus from Inscription... meh.

Tried selling a bunch of glyphs over the last couple days and have been failing miserably. About 90% of them come back expired... I need to read your blog posts on the topic again and see what I'm doing wrong.

I also recommend the greedy goblin if you don't mind digging back to his posts on "the glyph industry." That's where I got my start. I was actually refereed to there by a thread I started on MTadin ages ago oddly enough.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby Zobel » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:39 am

I cheesed a couple people through Ampitheater of Anguish for 150g each this weekend. That isn't much more than they get in gold rewards from the quests, and they're happy with just getting the couple hundred thousand xp and a decent weapon. At ten minutes each, that's 900g/hour, and more if you can do multiple customers at once (though less if others are trying to use the ampitheater).
Zobel

Postby Ashmadai » Tue May 25, 2010 7:39 am

In regards to how useful T10 gear will be in Cata, the early alpha leaks showed required ilvl of 300 to put them on stuff, so it stands to reason that the gear is going to jump up and start out at ilvl 300 with the new content, which would mean another green is the new purple phase like when TBC came out. Of course, that info could've been wrong, yada yada, but it's something to go on.
Ashmadai

Postby Kelaan » Tue May 25, 2010 3:25 pm

Would anyone savvy with an item creator post scaled-up analogues of some items?

E.g., take the broken ram's skull and bump its ilevel to 200 (but blue), and show us what the itemization could be like? I'm curious how it will affect armor and other budgeted things.
Kelaan

Postby amh » Tue May 25, 2010 4:25 pm

Isn't armor (non-bonus) a result of item-level, rather than a weighting factor? Meaning broken ram, if blue, would have 1760 armor, or if purple, 1821. Would seem a bit odd if armor was a weighting factor. DPS-plate would be rather low on offensive stats, while cloth would be loaded.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Kelaan » Wed May 26, 2010 12:50 pm

Yes, that's what I meant. I was a goober and wrote 200 instead of 300, though. :D I'm more interested in what the ilevel 300 green/blue pieces will look like compared to Current (non-heroic) Epics.
Kelaan

Postby Discus » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:15 am

I rolled a protection paladin at level 70 purely for AoE farming which I still enjoy as a gold source. I noticed they nerfed the TBC dungeon where you could aoe farm endless trash mobs at the start (sorry forget name of dungeon) and make quite a bit of gold. The trash still spawn endlessly but drop nothing.

Is there anywhere left where AOE farming is still profitable? PM me if you don’t want the Blizzard fun police to find out and nerf it.
Discus

Previous

Return to General