Remove Advertisements

Hunter UI/addon Help

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Hunter UI/addon Help

Postby smiter » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:48 pm

I was wondering if anyone out there had some good advice on a decent UI addon on for playing a Hunter.

I am currently sitting at 62 and with getting tranq shot and steady shot finally I seem to have way more shots than available num-pad buttons even when I macro everything. For example I use modifier macros for my stings so all three stings take up one slot (num-pad 2) same for arcane/multi/distracting shots, concussion/volley traps etc.

I am starting to find it more difficult to keep track of everying in terms of what modifier button (for the ones I don't use as often like scorpid sting) and when using volley having to target with the mouse then jumping my right hand back to the numpad.

How are you other hunters out there doing all this and keeping everything straight? Just seems like on my pally there is a lot fewer abilities that I use and I have more than enough buttons for everything 99% of the time. This hunter class is just a lot different to play.
smiter

Re: Hunter UI/addon Help

Postby fafhrd » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:31 pm

Well binding combat abilities to your numpad is just a bad idea if you're using a normal keyboard and mouse. You should be able to bind almost everything you use in combat to buttons on the left half of your keyboard, so you don't have to move hands to use them. Are you making sure to use your letter keys? Things like C and X and Z and F and and T and R are all excellent binds for abilities, and completely wasted on the defaults WoW assigns to them.

Also putting multiple shots on the same macro via a modifier is a bit sketchy too if they're shots you'll use in proximity to one another. Better to have for example aimed shot at 2 and chimera shot as 3 than aimed as ctrl+2 and chimera as alt+2, because personally I finding switching modifiers while keeping a finger on the same primary is a real pain. Modifiers are good for abilities that you don't need to use often or quickly or in rapid succession to other modifiers. Make sure you're using the left-reachable function keys as well.

But to answer your question, yes you should be able to bind just about everything. I use the 3 extra buttons on my mouse for about 5 abilties, 2 G15 keys for 2 abilities, and then every button left of the 6 on my keyboard (above and below) for everything else (almost almost every single class ability available at 80). 2-5 are primary shots though, since I can easily hit those while moving, and other things I need to use while moving get similar binds with that in mind. Note that the spacebar makes a good hotkey too in conjuction to a modifier. And if you like you can remap your keyboards CTRL to where where capslock is to make some modifier combos easier on the hands.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby smiter » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:32 am

I should have mentioned that I use a merc stealth gaming keyboard with dedicated movement keys on left hand with access to num pad buttons right above that (though not in the typical non num pad format) The right hand has a typical num pad layout and i alternate between the mouse and the right hand num-pad most of the time. I actually do not find it hard at all to have concurrent shots macroed to the same button. For example I use a steady-shot/arcane shot macro keybound to 9 I have been finding myself using my mouse more and more though. So I press ctrl and click the macro button or hit 9 when arcane shot is up.

I also use the action bar above the num-pad dedicated bar to display all the shots in non-macro fashion so I can easily see what is off cooldown. But again I have been finding myself more and more just using the mouse to click them while using my left hand to move around when needed.

I am wondering if Bartender would work. I downloaded it the other night and did not like it but I also did not take the time to properly adjust it as I had to go raid on my main, so it was deactived immediately.

If anyone using bartender has some tips I would appreicate it
smiter

Postby bldavis » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:33 am

what issues are you having with bartender?
and i would have said dont dload until you have like 30 min to adjust and get everything in place.

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby smiter » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:57 am

The biggest issue I had off the bat was the addon put a big block of all my buttons right in the bottom center of the screen and even covered over my toon. I am sure that when I look into the options and have the time to set it up I will be able to adjust them to change the layout, positioning and size correct? I also didn't want to jump right into ICC with a brand new UI...not sure my guild would appreciate that haha.
smiter

Postby fafhrd » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:36 pm

Well yes, you can show/hide/move all the bars, and are expected to do so. But I'm not sure what you mean by "bartender will help", since it doesn't really offer anything with respect to keybindings that any other bar mod or the default UI doesn't (if you want to get into fancy paged action bars, bartender or something like macaroon might help, but it doesn't sound like that's what you're going for).

If you're looking for a ui that makes it easier to click things like you're apparently shifting towards, I don't know what might help. As far as keybinding goes though, your only goals are:
- keybind everything that'll be used in combat or frequently around combat (switching between pack/viper/dragonhawk for instance is worth keybinding even if you don't use them in combat too often)
- keybind your frequently used shots/stings to binds that are easy to press one after the other, ideally while moving - what buttons those are depends on your particular keyboard, I have no idea what your non-standard one looks like
- avoid binds that make you move your hands, like the one where you mentioned moving your hand off your mouse to trigger volley, then back to the mouse to target it
- several things (your instants) you want to bind to buttons you can hit without needing to click or take your hand off your mouse, since you can't click or use your mouse hand while looking around or spinning with your mouse while kiting. This extends to your movement keys too, i.e. if your strafe keys are Q and E, don't bind SHIFT+E to something you'll use while moving, since then you can't do that while strafing right (and if you to click it while strafing, you then have to stop looking with the mouse).
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes