PoS gauntlet - run through or actively engage mobs?

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

PoS gauntlet - run through or actively engage mobs?

Postby econ21 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:28 am

What do people normally do in the tunnel before the last boss of Pit of Saron? I normally just run to the middle plate, not bothering too much to actively get aggro on all the mobs before it and just letting them follow me. I tell the dps and healers not to do dps or heal until on the plate, so that the mobs will aggro on the first thing that gets in range (me). Nine times out of ten, this works well with people often saying "duh, we know" except with the occasional silent druid healer who it turns out is used to keeping up a heal over time on the tank. They pull aggro and die, wiping the party. I get reprimanded for not keeping aggro on the mobs. "I've never died here before", I was told. "Did you ever heal here when the tank asked you not to?" I wanted to reply.

What is the usual way to tank the tunnel? With the gauntlet in Utgarde Pinnacle (and IIRC that in Shattered Halls), I do what the druid healers want - engage each group of adds and make sure they are dead or at least locked on me before I move on. But with the tunnel, I am more impatient and just barrel through. Am I doing it right or has the druid healer got a point?
econ21

Re: PoS gauntlet - run through or actively engage mobs?

Postby Boyfriend » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:30 am

I usually give every mob a slight slap, throwing out my avengers shield or HotR if it's more than one mob; too many healers just can't resist throwing that one heal out.
Boyfriend
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:55 am

SoCleave and do Hit&Run style like in H-CoS keeping DP up runnig between waves

and keep RD ready for that inevitable healer pull (it almost like they feel they are failing if the tanks health drops at all..... adn yes ive been on vent with a tree when she pulled off of me in that tunnel, she was saying i know i know even before i said anything lol)

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:31 am

On my paladin: Run through spamming HoR, HotR, and Cons. That mana will come back in a moment anyway.
On my rogue: Tricks the tank, Sprint, and run through spamming FoK.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Hokahey » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:41 am

Actively engage. Anything else is being lazy.
Hokahey

Postby Zobel » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:45 am

Tag each mob, pause at the circular platform to kill the big elemental and let people catch up, then tag each mob and run to the end. Anyone who doesn't have the achievement yet gets it.
Zobel

Postby bldavis » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:04 am

Hokahey wrote:Actively engage. Anything else is being lazy.

and?

Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Hokahey » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:05 am

bldavis wrote:

and?

Clarify your question. My statment was self-explanatory, and was a direct response to the question asked. There really is nothing to add to it.
Hokahey

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:46 pm

Hokahey wrote:
bldavis wrote:

and?

Clarify your question. My statment was self-explanatory, and was a direct response to the question asked. There really is nothing to add to it.

He's asking what you think is wrong with being lazy.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Hokahey » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:31 am

Oh, I see. Well, nothing inherently wrong with it, but it makes bitching about wiping a bit pointless when a tank couldn't be bothered to do their job.
Hokahey

Postby Kelaan » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:51 am

.. or is a habit that will bite you in the ass if you're playing a relatively undergeared DK tank alt. :D

I used to just run in, consecrate, holy wrath, and generally roll face. Didn't work all that well with D&D + having HoTs on you. So, instead, I now go in slowly. Pick up adds, move to the next non-iced patch, repeat. I do it no my paladin too as it's more predictable, too.
Kelaan

Postby bldavis » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:56 am

Hokahey wrote:
bldavis wrote:

and?

ghren was right....

but i really was just being a smart ass
i will hit as many adds as i can as im running in, just becuase i dont want any to jump on the person healing my ass.

bldavis

Postby Boyfriend » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:17 am

Consensus is that if you don't pick up every mob, then it's your fault if the healer gets aggro and dies. It is your job to keep the healer safe and pick up mobs, it's NOT the healers job to NOT heal you.
Boyfriend
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:56 am

If you REALLY want to be lazy, put on Ret aura so mobs may actually stick on you through a heal or two.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby bldavis » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:22 am

Boyfriend wrote:Consensus is that if you don't pick up every mob, then it's your fault if the healer gets aggro and dies. It is your job to keep the healer safe and pick up mobs, it's NOT the healers job to NOT heal you.

SoCleave FTW! :twisted:

(that and RD 1/2 in just in case)

bldavis

Next

Return to General Strats