Red, Agi or str?

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: Red, Agi or str?

Postby Torquemada » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:18 am

I generally go agi/stam for my red sockets that lead to a +9 stam socket bonus or higher(Unless it's a 3 socket item with RYB sockets), but I'm starting to wonder about yellow sockets now. Until now I've been going with Def/Stam for socket bonuses of +9, but I've noticed a lot of folks not bothering. I'm considering going +hit/stam instead as I tend to run a couple percent low of being melee hit capped and I'm well over the defense cap even with the crafted legs. I'm not sure if the trade to my avoidance is worth the extra hit. Anyone run the numbers/have input on that?
Torquemada

Postby pfunkmort » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:37 am

As they were mentioned here - I thought I'd at least give links to the "authoritative" coverage of the two stats in terms of their effects, as has been articulated on maintankadin.

Expertise - http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ ... =6&t=25611

Agility - http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ ... t-of-dodge

Typically, I go for an agi gem for the meta requirement, but you can read the link posted above for at least more in depth information about how it weighs up to str, both in terms of the threat output, and also in terms of the added survivability component.
[2.Trade][Alessan]: Is WoW becoming an online kart racer in 4.0.3?
[2.Trade][Tehron]: Yes
pfunkmort

Postby Diocaska » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:08 am

Awyndel wrote:Tbh, if I wasn't at the expertise soft cap, I would be putting exp/stam in my red socket for the meta. It's more threat then str at that point, and potentially avoidance.

Ah you've pointed out my error. I was at the soft cap for ages that I forgot to make that consideration with my last post!

Threat:
Pre-soft cap, Expertise/Stamina
Post-soft cap, Strength/Stamina

Survivability:
Agility/Stamina

Torquemada wrote:I'm considering going +hit/stam instead as I tend to run a couple percent low of being melee hit capped and I'm well over the defense cap even with the crafted legs. I'm not sure if the trade to my avoidance is worth the extra hit. Anyone run the numbers/have input on that?

I've been considering this aswell lately. Had a bad starting streak on a couple of bosses recently, enough to make me consider switching in some hit. Our threat isn't an issue in general, but the first few moments of a fight, at least in my opinion, are usually the most aggro sensitive part of the fight. I'd personally prefer a weapon with hit rating which I could change during combat, but gemming Hit/Stamina to hit a +9 Stam or greater bonus wouldn't be at all a bad alternative.
Aurellia(90) Ulshala(85) Diocaska(85) Leighesha(85)
Diocaska

Postby hoho » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:26 am

Kelaan wrote:I have ~221 agility in my tanking gear, using an agility-based threat weapon. Raid buffed I might get to 300. Kings would give me 30 agility: It's a bit of threat, a small amount of dodge, and about 60 extra armor.
You have no DK (155) or ench shaman (178) in raid to give extra agi buff?
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby DracoTB » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:05 am

lythac wrote:Edit - not sure if BoS still overwrites it.

It doesn't overwrite it but it won't put up the drums if you have BoS up. So, do the drums first.
DracoTB

Postby 2Cute2BeStr8 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:38 am

So Yeah I'm literally at the point where I'm going to have like 0 expertise on any of my gear. So 6 base expertise apparently thats what ya get for base, then 10 from the glyph.

My big issue right now is far from survivability would that be what your suggestion would be would be to throw 10 expertise/ 15 stam gems into my red slots? I feel so dirty doing that, but really I just don't feel like I need the HP.

Also is it better to use flask of endless rage or like a strength potion? I'm 11/12 heroic ICC 25, and its just getting rediculous keeping up w/ threat. I just got heroic last word, and I'm breaking my four piece, as I don't need the survivability.
2Cute2BeStr8
Maintankadonor

Postby badgermonkey » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:07 am

Cata chestguard caps your expertise no? :P
badgermonkey

Postby Boyfriend » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:08 am

Alternatively the ilevel 277 boots, which are BiS.
If you have threat issues, overall I think using a slow dps weapon (bloodvenom blade/LK axe) is a better idea than gemming expertise.
Boyfriend
Maintankadonor

Postby 2Cute2BeStr8 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:13 am

Boyfriend wrote:Alternatively the ilevel 277 boots, which are BiS.
If you have threat issues, overall I think using a slow dps weapon (bloodvenom blade/LK axe) is a better idea than gemming expertise.

Of course as soon as I had those boots I would change those gems out. I just picked up last word heroic. Bloodvenom blade did drop off of Saurfang, but a dps needed it. Also I'll be the last tank in the guild to pick up those boots.

I'm going to try out some stuff and I'm really thinking that useing that weapon and libram is going to make a huge difference. Now to see what to put into my yellow gems, because if I myswell go for the socket bonus, as nasty as that sounds. We already did all of ICC 25, so its ulduar and I'm going to double check and fine tweak my rotation a little better. its really agitating me to no end to be the tank that does the worst threat.
2Cute2BeStr8
Maintankadonor

Previous

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations