Remove Advertisements

New Tank Addon - TauntMaster

All things /script related

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, _Chloe

New Tank Addon - TauntMaster

Postby prodigy » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:10 pm

I am the author of a new tanking addon called TauntMaster - it displays a button/healthbar for each group member. When a member gets aggro their button turns red and you can click it to taunt off them. J/ thought you awesome WoWies at maintankadin might want to check it out :)
prodigy

Re: New Tank Addon - TauntMaster

Postby Aergis » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:23 pm

How is this better than hitting a taunt button while tanking as usual? What does the mod do different?

More specifically, why do I need to know which party member has aggro so I can taunt off them? I just need to target the boss and hit "taunt".
Aergis
Site Admin

Postby Fridmarr » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:29 pm

When adds enter a fight or get loose, having an indicator of who has threat is very useful. Many unit frame addons have an indicator of some form, and I use clique to cast RD on that person. This allows me to taunt adds that have aggro'd a raid member, without me changing my current target at all.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby prodigy » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:04 pm

Aergis,
Its not primarily for boss encounters, in which case taunting is easy, yes. Its more for when a group member pulls aggro off of you (or gains aggro somehow) and you have difficulty finding the mob to taunt. That way you don't have to cycle through the various mobs to find the one that isn't hitting you. Instead you just click the group member's name and it taunts their enemy without switching your target.
prodigy

Postby Epimer » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:39 am

Sorry to rain on the parade, but this really is no different to using any unit/raid frame addon and Clique (or Healbot, or VuhDo) to cast Righteous Defense.
Epimer

Postby Gamingdevil » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:32 am

Not to mention for tanks that don't have RD, the only thing it can do is taunt that players target, which may or may not be the mob that's attacking him.

Imagine a boss fight with adds streaming in, one of said adds goes for a warlock, frantically dps'ing the boss. As an offtank, you try to pick it up, taunt the boss and get decimated.

I appreciate the effort, but it doesn't look to be all that useful :?
If it is weak, kill it before it gets stronger. If it is strong, weaken it.
Gamingdevil

Postby Skunkernater » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:25 pm

@ gamingdevil

If u taunted off the warlock (in this case) it would not target the mobs it has selected, it would taunt the mobs attacking the it.
Skunkernater

Postby _Chloe » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:49 pm

Epimer wrote:Sorry to rain on the parade, but this really is no different to using any unit/raid frame addon and Clique (or Healbot, or VuhDo) to cast Righteous Defense.

This.
_Chloe

Postby dmok » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:02 pm

Skunkernater wrote:@ gamingdevil

If u taunted off the warlock (in this case) it would not target the mobs it has selected, it would taunt the mobs attacking the it.

I would be interested to know how ANY mod can figure out which add the warlock has aggro on, but is not currently targeting. I am skeptical about using anything like this in the meantime, incase the above mentioned situation happens.
There ain't no pirate like a Mead Hall Pirate

Mead Hall Pirates - The Scryers US
Dmor: 80 Prot Paladin | Dmok: 80 MM Hunter | Dmos: 80 Disc Priest | Dmoz: 80 Unholy DK
dmok

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:36 pm

dmok wrote:
Skunkernater wrote:@ gamingdevil

I would be interested to know how ANY mod can figure out which add the warlock has aggro on, but is not currently targeting. I am skeptical about using anything like this in the meantime, incase the above mentioned situation happens.

Well the target of any unit you can access is accessible. Whatever unit has aggro on the lock would have the lock targeted, regardless of who the lock has targeted. That's often how the unit frame mods determine that someone else has aggro, based on the mob's target.

What is a bit more challenging is having a button that can cast something on that particular mob due to dynamic targeting restrictions.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby dmok » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:43 pm

Fridmarr wrote:What is a bit more challenging is having a button that can cast something on that particular mob due to dynamic targeting restrictions.

Ah, see I thought it was a whole dynamic referencing thing where you could not gleam information from any mob that is not currently actively targeted by someone. I did not realize you could see that it was not targeting you, but then be unable to do anything about it until someone actually targeted IT.
There ain't no pirate like a Mead Hall Pirate

Mead Hall Pirates - The Scryers US
Dmor: 80 Prot Paladin | Dmok: 80 MM Hunter | Dmos: 80 Disc Priest | Dmoz: 80 Unholy DK
dmok

Postby Kuma » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:14 pm

As a Paladin tank, I don't have a use for this (as noted above referring to RD). I just keep an eye on Grid, wait for any red (aggro) dots to appear on someone who shouldn't have one, click ally and RD. Piece of cake.

I DO, however, find myself wishing I had RD when I'm tanking with my Warrior. If this addon was able to quickly locate the enemy that is currently targetting the ally whom has aggro (according to my frames), then yes, this would be badass. I hate having to tab-cycle through an army of mobs to find the one that's turned around to smack the DK just so I can use Mocking Blow.

That's all I'd want this addon to do. If Bob pulls aggro and the frame shows it, all I'd want is to click Bob's frame and end up with the enemy as my target so I could hit Mocking Blow/Taunt.
CC used to stand for "Constant Consecration" /mourn

Kuma

Postby _Chloe » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:10 pm

hmm UnitExists("mouseovertarget") now returns a value. This could be possible for warriors in clique. I'll play with it later as I'm trying to get my drop down menu builder working.
_Chloe

Postby Koatanga » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:06 pm

_Chloe wrote:hmm UnitExists("mouseovertarget") now returns a value. This could be possible for warriors in clique. I'll play with it later as I'm trying to get my drop down menu builder working.

That would work for a DPS that is mistargeting, but for a healer getting targeted by incoming adds, the healer will generally not be targeting that which you need to taunt. The healer may have you targeted, or possibly even the tank's target (if casting judgement, etc.).

I also think it wouldn't work for AoE DPS, because again the person with the aggro may not be targeting what you need to taunt.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby isiz » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:56 pm

Koatanga wrote:
_Chloe wrote:hmm UnitExists("mouseovertarget") now returns a value. This could be possible for warriors in clique. I'll play with it later as I'm trying to get my drop down menu builder working.

That would work for a DPS that is mistargeting, but for a healer getting targeted by incoming adds, the healer will generally not be targeting that which you need to taunt. The healer may have you targeted, or possibly even the tank's target (if casting judgement, etc.).

I also think it wouldn't work for AoE DPS, because again the person with the aggro may not be targeting what you need to taunt.

Mouseover a mob, have a unitframe that shows current mouseovertarget. If it shows a non-tank use a mouseover taunt macro.
ImageImage
Tuesday maintenance is merely a setback!
isiz

Next

Return to Add-ons, UI, and Macros