[Feral Bear] Help me out on Stats, please...

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Re: [Feral Bear] Help me out on Stats, please...

Postby warden » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:51 am

As briefly mentioned above, certain pieces of PvP gear are actually VERY legit starting pieces for bear tanks. The Wrathful neck and back and titan-forged (251) shoulders are all considerably stronger pieces for a feral tank than ANY crafted or quested (or heroic, for that matter) equivalent piece, and the relentless belt/boots are legitimate subsitutes for the 226 crafted pieces depending on what you're short on itemization. The fact that all of this (except the shoulders) can be purchased with BoA honor tokens the second you hit 80 doesn't hurt. Also remember that, although it is less than ideal, the Titansteel Destroyer provides a starter option as a weapon with a nice amount and hit.

"Don't facepalm at me... Ret paladins don't facepalm each other. Its against the code!" -Anafielle
warden
Maintankadonor

Postby sherck » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:43 am

Warden wrote:As briefly mentioned above, certain pieces of PvP gear are actually VERY legit starting pieces for bear tanks. The Wrathful neck and back and titan-forged (251) shoulders are all considerably stronger pieces for a feral tank than ANY crafted or quested (or heroic, for that matter) equivalent piece, and the relentless belt/boots are legitimate subsitutes for the 226 crafted pieces depending on what you're short on itemization. The fact that all of this (except the shoulders) can be purchased with BoA honor tokens the second you hit 80 doesn't hurt. Also remember that, although it is less than ideal, the Titansteel Destroyer provides a starter option as a weapon with a nice amount and hit.

Hmmm, I must have missed the memo. The honor tokens you buy in WG are Account Bound? Really? Wow, I had no idea.

What sucks the most is that I just zeroed out both of my level 80s Stone Keeper Shards for honor to purchase epic gems to sell. Sigh, will have to see how much of an upgrade the PvP pieces are and think about doing some more fricking heroics on my 80s if they are good upgrades. I got 20k in the bank so it is not like I cannot purchase raw mats and get all the stuff crafted, but if I don't HAVE to spend gold on it...

Cheers,
sherck

Postby sherck » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:44 am

Warden wrote: Also remember that, although it is less than ideal, the Titansteel Destroyer provides a starter option as a weapon with a nice amount and hit.

Hmmmm, using the pre-set standard weighting system on WowHead for Feral Bears, the quested staff I mention is higher ranked that the Destroyer is.

I honestly don't know how good the weighting system is; but I figure it has to be close.

Cheers,
sherck

Postby warden » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:17 am

You very well could be right. I can't see the stats on each to compare at work. It was a mute point for me... I got lucky and snagged relentless edge from some Uld weekly raid quest about two days after hitting 80. Sadly, I'm still waiting for something better to drop. Probably the bane of being a well-known pally tank... every time I get invited to tank a raid, the answer is inevitably "Oh, I meant on your pally..." cause, ya know, you need a 60k hp pally to tank reg toc10...

"Don't facepalm at me... Ret paladins don't facepalm each other. Its against the code!" -Anafielle
warden
Maintankadonor

Postby Doogiehowser » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:18 am

If you're looking for a starter staff and you can't win a drop for your life, the Champion's Seal staff from the ToC is great for bears. Obviously it's a bit of a daily grind but at least it's a guarantee. I'd take this staff over the mace.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=45128
Doogiehowser

Postby hoho » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:20 am

I once thought I'll farm the seals for my alt lock. By the time I got to second faction I already had the [epic] achievement.
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby Doogiehowser » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:41 am

I will say that druids don't have many options when it comes to upgrading their weapons. You can get Marrowstrike from ToC heroic and the H HoR polearm (Orca Hunter Harpoon I think). From what I gather from the way Sherck plays, he pugs a lot so I don't know how easy it would be to waltz into ToC heroic at an early gear level if he uses the dungeon finder. H HoR is out of reach too because of the gear score thingy and again, it's a random drop.

I don't disagree that gearing up has become much easier. My alt lock has enjoyed just as much as you.

But weapons/offhands are tough for me for some reason. I think the staff above is great as a fallback, that's all. My ICC disco priest is still using a 200 ilvl off hand because there hasn't been a staff or offhand that has dropped. I still do Ony/ToC for hopes of something.
Doogiehowser

Postby warden » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:42 am

Yep, and the mention of Ony is another good thought. Upgrading over the quest staff, you can easily pug into an Ony 10 for a shot at a reclaimed shadowstrike/thunderstrike, especially if H ToC 5 or ToC 10 reg seem to hate you. I've tried going the ToGC route, but without a weapon better than 219, I was having severe threat issues (all dps in the 7-8k range) on Anub, and bears are less than ideal for taking adds. Ony, on the other hand, is a quite legit fight for a bear to OT, as swipe picks up adds quite nicely.

In other news, ever since my bear hit 80, Hesir's greatspear has dropped every time my pally has killed Blood Princes :-/

warden
Maintankadonor

Postby sherck » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:52 am

sherck wrote:Stat Priority I saw =
1) Get Expertise to 132
2) Get Hit to 262
3) Stack full Stamina
4) ArmPen > Haste > Crit

Look about right ?

Redirect on gearing weighting. Opinions?

Cheers,
sherck

Postby amh » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:50 am

I'd put stam up top, but it looks all right otherwise. I'll send a PM to Roots, see if he has anything to add.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby blakk » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:26 am

A survival oriented priority would be
stamina>agility>crit>everything else.
As agility gives crit/dodge/armor and crit gives you more savage defense
blakk

Postby Roots » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:32 pm

Edit: Didn't format right, adjusted

To take it further, the priorities are (pre-wtf x% gain in health):

Survival
Stamina 1.27
Agility 1.00
Expertise 0.80
Dodge 0.62
Hit 0.47
Defense Armor 0.39
Strength 0.18
Crit 0.11
AP 0.08
Bonus Armor 0.06
ArP 0.00
Haste 0.00

Posting any other stat weights would confuse the matter I think, as this is pretty much fine for everything.

Hit isn't really that big of a deal unless your dps severely outgear you, and the expertise cap is relatively easy to get to. Don't stress to hit 262 right off the bat (I raid with 140 hit including hit food and do fine; I do add 86 hit from leg swap for heroics just because more hits landing=more damage=faster run).

Focusing solely on threat, Armor Pen is your biggest threat gain after hit/exp cap, followed by haste then crit (crit rating itself is not all that good... SD sees more uptime from the agility->crit you already have vs. any gain to willfully pick up crit rating, and SD is pretty lousy on single target fights, albeit OP on any 3+ mob fights)

That being said, this is fine tuning in 258/264/277, pretty much any ilevel upgrade of more than a tier will work out to be better in the short term.

Trinket: Don't sweat it til you want to take your bear into a raid... I used Chuchu's Tiny Box of Horrors and the Monarch Crab til Gossamer dropped in 3.0. Darkmoon is actually really good for threat/armor/dodge, and I used it for fights in Ulduar on a regular basis. Anything (except that sbv trinket) is better than nothing if you want a tank trinket. Do pick up the triumph armor trinket after you get the armor ring.
Roots

Previous

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes