Remove Advertisements

Flames of Azzinoth

Naj'entus, Supremus, Akama, Gorefiend, Gurtogg Bloodboil, RoS, Sharaz, Council, Illidan

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, fiend

Postby fiorina » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:51 pm

you can check my ancient fraps for general ideas about positioning + Eye beam avoiding techniques:
http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=48985 (download filefront version if you want non-shitty quality)

- 1st wipe, do not kite him that far to the side
- 2nd wipe, raid roasted by Flame burst, bad timing during repositioning
- kill attempt, so so, he should be dead before going back, but decent

I've improved positioning a lot from that kill. Once you are at the bottom of the grid, don't rush up too much. There is plenty of space where to put his Blaze circle before moving up but still allowing melee to attack him.

After he cast Blaze circle, move him and turn his back towards the melee, repeat. If there is an Eye beam residue, adjust your position a bit so melee can DPS without stepping into blue flame. You will be able to kill the flame during first "round" so you don't have to run back and phase 2 will be like 30 seconds shorter.

Your goal is to have 2:1 to 3:1 melee dmg vs. Blaze ratio. If it is close to 1:1 your healers are under heavy pressure and you are vulnerable to one-shots.
For example this one sux:
http://wowwebstats.com/brwqzrvkbui6w?a=0 (Blaze vs melee is almost 1:1 and total damage is close to 300k)
this one is decent:
http://wowwebstats.com/d5a2krxes25xg?a=10 (blaze vs melee is almost 2:1 and incoming dmg is about 200k which mean he died fast)

Ideal WWS would be 2,5:1 ratio and below 200k incoming dmg.
fiorina
Maintankadonor

Postby Aetherial » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:48 am

So.... I know we're not really pushing our heal buttons a lot on this fight, but we're getting stuck on Phase 2 most of the time. Our Flame tanks (druid and warrior... druid is capped on FR and defense, warrior is capped on FR but not on defense) are getting the shit beat out of them with 4 healers on them. We've been seeing some 10k hits from the Flames as well. Any ideas?
Aetherial

Postby Shai » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:19 am

I would avoid using druids tanking the flames if possible because having healed both they do take more damage than warriors (and paladins for that matter) and it can be harder to keep them up. Tanks just need to not stand in the aoe stuff on the floor and that's about it as long as they have sufficient hp to take some spiky damage.

Having two healers on each should be doable with a druid hotting them, but the healers need to be prepared to spam a lot. Typically when healing I can go from 100% mana to oom during this phase while using pots and sometimes tide (the mana is there to be used and the next phase is not nearly as mana intensive). The tanks won't be constantly taking 10k hits so spikes like that should be healable unless you get very unlucky.
Shai

Postby Gavel » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:04 am

10k hits shouldn't happen if you're in capped FR and def capped. I've never seen anything that big unless I bite down on an eyebeam.
Gavel

Postby Aetherial » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:25 am

Yea, the thing is... Prime and Ront (our druids) are both def-capped and they've seen those 10k hits.

We'd use 2 warriors if we could, but unfortunately our senior warrior has serious spatial awareness issues which resulted in 4 hours of wiping to him eating eyebeams.
Aetherial

Postby Lore » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:40 am

Are you sure they're FR capped? They need 295 unbuffed FR to get it, and make sure they're getting an FR aura or totem as well (it's easy to forget).

Otherwise yeah, there's no way they should be taking 10k hits, especially not with any regularity. It sounds more like they're just not getting far enough away from eye beams. Are the 10k hits happening when there are no beams?
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Gavel » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:18 am

Eyebeams won't hit for 10k. They'll hit for 18k and 1 shot you.

FR cap >> Def cap as the crits are partially resistable and are infrequent at best. Hit the FR cap and they shouldn't happen.
Gavel

Postby Splug » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:54 am

Heh, eyebeams should be 20k on a druid with no spell mitigation, correct? Either way, it's moot- those are lethal without shield wall.

But yeah, what Gavel and Lore have said about sums it up. I don't know that I've ever been crit by the flames for more than 5k, and even that's been an extreme rarity (crit while I had wandered away from the paladin). They should make sure they have 295 FR without mark, not with it. I recall checking a resist back in AQ40 or something and having it come up short because I hadn't noticed I had mark up when I was putting together a gearset.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Lore » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:03 pm

We've actually had tanks survive eye beams :P
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Aetherial » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:32 pm

I know that they're capped on FR (with aura)... but I'll look into the positioning and make sure that they're getting it at all times. We're also going to have them point the Flames away from the grate, rather than along their kite paths... our DPS has been too slow with getting the first Flame down since our melee have been unable to get in there without getting toasted.

Hopefully we'll get him down tonight :D
Aetherial

Postby Eliane » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:41 pm

I made this video today to show our other tanks how I like to tank my add. Its just the adds and shows nothing of the other fight.

I hope you like it.

http://files.filefront.com/flames+of+az ... einfo.html
Last edited by Eliane on Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eliane

Postby Neuron » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:51 am

Eliane wrote:I made this video today to show our other tanks how I like to tank my add. Its just the adds and how nothing of the other fight.

I hope you like it.

http://files.filefront.com/flames+of+az ... einfo.html

Great vid eliane
http://www.ardentdefender.com - A combat log parsing API
Neuron

Postby Rainge » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:40 am

Indeed, great vid. Between the discussion in this thread and that video, I'm itching to do that fight now.
Rainge

Postby Dorvan » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:58 am

Me too. Too bad most of the eye beams were on the other side (for video purposes at least ;))

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Aetherial » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:53 pm

Much better last night :D Best attempt was 32%, we were tired and people brainfarted and forgot to kill our warlock tank's demon.

Looks like our tanks were just standing in double flames... they adjusted their positioning a tad and from then on we were consistently getting p2 down.
Aetherial

PreviousNext

Return to Black Temple