Remove Advertisements

One confused tank -- Lynx boss

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Comma » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:28 pm

Lynk wrote:if the 2nd tank parried or dodged the saber lash, the main tank took the whole blow.

Im pretty sure thats not the case, Ive seem the boss doing the saber lash animation and none of our tank took dmg, I assume both missed/dodged/parried.
Comma

Postby Vanifae » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:29 pm

Lynk wrote:No idea if it was fixed yet, as I haven't been to ZA it's first week, but if the 2nd tank parried or dodged the saber lash, the main tank took the whole blow. Make sure the 2nd tank has his back turned in p1, while there's no Lynx up.

This is untrue.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Comma » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:43 pm

Comma wrote:
Lynk wrote:if the 2nd tank parried or dodged the saber lash, the main tank took the whole blow.

Im pretty sure thats not the case, Ive seem the boss doing the saber lash animation and none of our tank took dmg, I assume both missed/dodged/parried.

And sometimes one takes thousands points of dmg the other takes none.
Comma

Postby Gerilith » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:02 am

Comma wrote:
Comma wrote:

And sometimes one takes thousands points of dmg the other takes none.

The damage always is divided by the number of people in front of him, no matter whether the damage is avoided by one of them or not. Otherwise I'm pretty sure Mother Sharahz would be untankable. And I have enough empirical experiences confirming these findings.

Saber Lash can be avoided by one or both, it will not affect the division of its damage.

Btw, it does ~9k dmg if it is divided by 2.
Last edited by Gerilith on Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Standing alone with no direction
How did I fall so far behind?
Why Am I searching for perfection?
Knowing it's something I won't find
Gerilith

Re: One confused tank -- Lynx boss

Postby Ferrosis » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:51 am

Naviere wrote:I've read several posts here and on the European paladin forums about paladin tanking. I've been tanking for quite sometime now and my general understanding is that once you reach your 102.4% avoidance, you should start stacking stam. Well, I've finally achieved 102.% unbuffed (with holy shield up).

Last night in ZA I was tanking the saber boss and I was getting punished by the saber lash what seemed to be nonstop. Granted we are still learning the encounter but doing that fight with 3 healers just doesn't seem to jive. I know the healers well and I know they should be more than capable of keeping me up but for some reason I get the feeling it's on my end and not theirs.

Could someone please advise? I'm not afraid of criticisms so if you see something wrong with my gear / spec, please fire away.

Just a quick question, but what are your avoidance numbers? It sounds like you are too low on pure avoidance. I've found you want as much pure avoidance while maintaining more than 18k health.
Ferrosis

Postby Stylaan » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:34 am

Ironshield Pots and higher dodge rate from your OT are a benefit to making things easier on your healers. The casting max rank HL following each lash is a great way to buffer his health since he won't be taking direct damage except for saberlashes and even during frenzies Halazzi won't lash twice in a row within those 2.5 seconds. It's akin to drinking a health pot every lash, except it doesn't cost a cooldown ^_^.

Other than that, I would highly recommend higher pure avoidance numbers without sacrificing too much health, Ironshield Potions and high armor are very important things to consider too.

You can dodge/parry Saberlash and your other tank won't take any more damage than usual, it can also be blocked, but in my experiences so far my combat logs haven't shown it to miss, but it may just be my bad luck :P (I only have logs from the last 3 resets)
Stylaan

Postby Naviere » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:14 pm

Thanks for the help. I'll give it a try this Friday's ZA.

Also - Invisusira, do you use your Thunderfury often? I was thinking about trying to get one as we usually don't run with any warriors with our setup.
Naviere

Postby Arcand » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:56 pm

Invisusira wrote:Make sure you are standing right on top of each other.

I stand shoulder to shoulder with my bear co-tank and we seem to share Sabre Lash and Brutal Swipe quite consistently, so (shrug). The other piece of the puzzle might be, make sure you're directly in front of the boss; it might be searching for two targets in a narrow arc right in front of his nose, or something.
Arcand

Postby gwayne » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:37 am

You don't have to be directly on top of each other. I've OTed this fight every time our guild has been there and I usually stand just to the side of the MT.

This isn't really a fight about tanking as far as I'm concerned. As with the bear boss the two tanks just stand there and take the punishment until he's dead. It's much more about healer mana from what I can tell. Our first kill (without a hunter to make it even more fun) required plenty of mp5 buffs and JoW kept up on the boss all the time, and on the Lynx when it was spawned.

Usually our druid MTs here and she takes considerably less damage than other tanks on this fight. You can also taunt the boss which meant I could tank him and the lynx while she threw an innervate and CR when needed. They both hit pretty weakly when the Lynx is up. As for gear level we are kara/gruul geared so we don't outgear the instance by any standards.
Gwayne
<CTSamurai>
Neptulon-EU
gwayne

Postby Aevisarace » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:20 am

Most of the fights in ZA really push your healers. Its isn't like many of the 25 man fights where they can FoL the MT and call it a day.
Aevisarace

Postby Splug » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:44 pm

Decided to give pug'ing ZA a shot last night on my resto shaman, and picked up a bit of a new perspective on the fight as a result, heh. This is definitely all on the healers, tanking the fight is more or less straightforward ("Stand there, have a potion ready, hope you don't die"). Though, as I learned on Patchwerk/Shahraz, that doesn't make it any less stressful knowing there's almost nothing you can do to save yourself.

It's worth noting that while casting one holy light on yourself or the MT after a saber lash is a nice free boost to healing, casting more than that is a very poor idea. We had a paladin OT'ing lashes last night who insisted on spamming flash of light on himself... and just sat there with his shield on his back. 0% avoidance on saberlashes is brutal on healer mana; the only thing good that came out of it is that I became very confident that it's a 4 second cooldown on saberlash.

Also, anything you can do in split phases to cleanse flame shocks is pretty huge. The troll inherits the merged form's threat list, so as long as you keep ahead there's no need to create a fresh threat spike on transitions. Those flame shocks are a huge waste of mana to heal through, especially if you have a pile of druid/shaman healers who can't do anything themselves to remove it.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Invisusira » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:46 pm

Naviere wrote:Also - Invisusira, do you use your Thunderfury often? I was thinking about trying to get one as we usually don't run with any warriors with our setup.

Not as often as I'd like! Its main use (besides sitting on my back in town) is on longer boss fights, after I have a decent aggro lead. There's also a handful of other misc times I use it.
Invisusira

Postby Stylaan » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:58 pm

Invisusira wrote:
Naviere wrote:Also - Invisusira, do you use your Thunderfury often? I was thinking about trying to get one as we usually don't run with any warriors with our setup.

Not as often as I'd like! Its main use (besides sitting on my back in town) is on longer boss fights, after I have a decent aggro lead. There's also a handful of other misc times I use it.

She uses it to make herself look good in her videos.
Stylaan

Postby sindorei » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:06 pm

she looks good enough already
sindorei

Previous

Return to Zul'aman