Remove Advertisements

Prot paladin gameplay... not fun?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Postby NarfJones » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:36 am

How I became a dedicated tankadin: by Narfjones

I started wow. Picked the guy with the shield. Spec'd prot at 40 to aoe grind murlocs. Hit 70. heal. hate it, spec back to prot. Get complimented constantly on how much smoother a 5-man goes with me tanking.

Start raiding.

Deal with a HUUGE stigma with paladin tanks. Get tossed over for MT position constantly in raids. Given a chance to MT a high level raid boss. Fail miserably. Realize how much work is actually required outside the raid. Put in the work. Successfully tank a lot of raid bosses over and over. Enjoy immensly.

The key is not the abilities you use to gain threat and mitigate damage. The key is making your character the best at all the aspects. You have a harder time maintaining threat. We have a harder time mitigating damage. If you want to see how much work actually goes into being a successful raiding paladin just browse this forum a little more. There's enough information here to make anyone cry. A lot goes into it. I wouldn't trade the warrior I run with for anything, but he knows as well as I that main tanking is not an easy position for any class.

WTB Mp3 of Kermit singing "It's not east bein green"
NarfJones
Maintankadonor

Postby Kaelie » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:42 am

WTB Mp3 of Kermit singing "It's not east bein a pink and purple power ranger."

Fixed. :p
Kaelie

Postby Diocaska » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:51 am

With the styles of both play, the time between having to refresh abilities, I have time to properly check threat, check out how I'm doing, collecting information for the next time I fight that boss.

I also find it useful to check what mechanics are working on the raid, whos getting me shocked on ZA's Eagle boss, who's just got hit by spout, what are CD timers for boss?

I love the fact I can actively contribute to not only how it was tanking, but see what else can be fixed within the raid.

I also love having a warrior by my side for:

Commanding shout
Thunderclap
Disarm
Shield Bash
Aurellia(90) Ulshala(85) Diocaska(85) Leighesha(85)
Diocaska

Postby Caelia » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:01 am

Diocaska wrote:I also love having a warrior by my side for:

Commanding shout
Thunderclap
Disarm
Shield Bash

Dont forget pummel!!!
In Progress: Fury Warrior: Tailwhip
All Retired: Holy Priest:Appletons | DK Blood Tank: Dreadborne | Prot Paladin: Welsh
Caelia

Postby Llanfar » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:49 am

Regis wrote:The official WoW forums suck, think we can all agree on that.

It's as you say, paladins dont require as much button smashing as warriors (had a warrior tanking up to AQ40 pre TBC) and that we got some dead time in between the cooldowns. But I dont see that as a bad thing. When I tanked with my warrior all I did was smash button in a affective order as possible, and fitting that Last Stand, healthstone or even be aware of my surroundings was hard.
With paladins I find myself with plenty of time to cleanse myself and melee (which healers will thank you for on fights like Prince), chunk a pot without missing any cooldowns, or just check the mana/position/status of the raid (being a officer I want to stay on top of things). All that while keeping a high TPS.

OT

Where do you get off stealing my name. I've been using Regis since '78 when I started playing D&D in high school. It's MY name.

/sarcasm
Llanfar

Postby Samuelus » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:04 pm

I tend to think I as a tankadin know more of whats going in in my raid and am more able to help correct a global problem than simply solving an issue directly related to my char...

a great example was a kara run where the ot was afk and a dps pulled on accident ( the room where the consortium lookin guys pat about and are untauntable) which brought 5 to us .. I managed to LOH a healer, consec for aggro holy shield and bubble the DPS that had pulled... saving a definite wipe.

the utility of a tankadin is much more broad than that of a war or druid due to our aoe abilities and longer " uncrit" skill. we have a lot of "oh crap" buttons. its just having the opportune moment to use them..

LOH is a one hour cooldown and probably one of our greatest skills for tanking.. nothing will get you past that "OOM" moment on your main healer like a good timed LOH
Samuelus

Postby Lynk » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:30 pm

Samuelus wrote:the utility of a tankadin isn't much more broad than that of a war or druid due to our aoe abilities and longer " uncrit" skill. we have a lot of "oh crap" buttons. its just having the opportune moment to use them..

A dps pulling aggro and boping is much an oh-shit button. BOP isn't going to save *you* when Illidan enrages and you are nowhere near a Majev's trap. Ardent Defender isn't so much as an oh-shit button, as it's not toggled at will, and is only really useful on AE tanking, especially Hyjal, and Murlocs on the Morogrim encounter.

But this is a whole different kettle of fish. What do we need now? Do we need improvements? Do we need another ability? A spammable threat button? A shieldwall-type ability? Thunderclap/Demo shout?

Edit: Fixed some terrible typos
Lynk

Previous

Return to General