Remove Advertisements

One confused tank -- Lynx boss

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

One confused tank -- Lynx boss

Postby Naviere » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:40 pm

I've read several posts here and on the European paladin forums about paladin tanking. I've been tanking for quite sometime now and my general understanding is that once you reach your 102.4% avoidance, you should start stacking stam. Well, I've finally achieved 102.% unbuffed (with holy shield up).

Last night in ZA I was tanking the saber boss and I was getting punished by the saber lash what seemed to be nonstop. Granted we are still learning the encounter but doing that fight with 3 healers just doesn't seem to jive. I know the healers well and I know they should be more than capable of keeping me up but for some reason I get the feeling it's on my end and not theirs.

Could someone please advise? I'm not afraid of criticisms so if you see something wrong with my gear / spec, please fire away.
Naviere

Postby Dorvan » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:51 pm

Well, first thing to check: were you splitting the lash with another tank? If so, did you check the logs to verify that the lashes were being split? They should be hitting you for about 9k.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Re: One confused tank -- Lynx boss

Postby Vanifae » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:17 pm

Naviere wrote:I've read several posts here and on the European paladin forums about paladin tanking. I've been tanking for quite sometime now and my general understanding is that once you reach your 102.4% avoidance, you should start stacking stam. Well, I've finally achieved 102.% unbuffed (with holy shield up).

Last night in ZA I was tanking the saber boss and I was getting punished by the saber lash what seemed to be nonstop. Granted we are still learning the encounter but doing that fight with 3 healers just doesn't seem to jive. I know the healers well and I know they should be more than capable of keeping me up but for some reason I get the feeling it's on my end and not theirs.

Could someone please advise? I'm not afraid of criticisms so if you see something wrong with my gear / spec, please fire away.

Yeah that is the first thing you can't solo tank Lynx, at least not with gear that would make that a progression fight.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Naviere » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:52 pm

No, I do have another paladin tank with me when we do that encounter.

We do stand on top of each other while he's not split and the hits are usually 9k unless he gets killed.
Naviere

Postby Kitria » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:12 pm

Are both of you about evenly geared, and sufficiently geared to take those 9k hits? If his gear isn't good enough to soak that kind of damage then that's where the issue is. Both tanks have to be able to do it, or the raid fails.
Kitria

Postby Naviere » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:19 pm

Buffed I have about 19.3k and he has ~ 18.7k health.
Naviere

Postby Strom » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:24 am

Naviere wrote:Buffed I have about 19.3k and he has ~ 18.7k health.

Looks like its on the healers end then.... its a very healing intense fight.
Strom

Postby Comma » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:55 am

I assume you have 3 healers, assign one focus more on MT, one focus more on OT, the 3rd one heal raid as their priorty, if nothing to heal, then cast heal on tanks, cancel heal if no dmg taken at the very last second.

If you have paly healer, get him to spam flash heal on MT no matter what.

Thats basically how our healers do this I believe.
Comma

Postby Magnusharkov » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:06 am

As said its a healing intense fight. Both tanks need to be kept pretty much at full health at all times. If either drops down to 50% then you're about to die in a couple of seconds.
Magnusharkov

Postby Invisusira » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:37 am

Make sure you are standing right on top of each other.

I ate a couple entire lashes when we were learning the fight because my OT was a couple inches to the side.
Invisusira

Postby Faelure » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:11 pm

Naviere wrote:No, I do have another paladin tank with me when we do that encounter.

We do stand on top of each other while he's not split and the hits are usually 9k unless he gets killed.

Try having your lash soak cast a full rank holy light on him/herself right after a lash hit. Then have one (of 3 recommended) healers dedicated to top them off. Things like ProM help a lot - oh and tell him to keep holy shield up even while just soaking because sometimes that little bit blocked is what saves your ass on a quick double lash. I think the quickest time he can do it is like 3 seconds or so - if you take two unavoided lashes within that time frame it can be pretty healer stressful. I'd say stand on top of each other for the full fight as well. Judgement and Concecrate have a big enough range that I don't even have to move to pick up the lynx spirit and doing it that way just reduces the chance of a positioning error. I tank this with Lore tho so its easy to find his big ass shield and just kinda cuddle with it.
Faelure

Postby Doloth » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:15 pm

That was something I was wondering about, that is, how often can he do his saberlash? I was tanking him a couple days ago, and this is how it went. First attempt failed because I didn't stay with the MT right at the beginning and Lynx opened with a saberlash and one-shotted em. Second time went alright, but then he saberlashed twice in a very short about of time, maybe 6 seconds, but it felt shorter. Anyway, while the MT and I survived this, the healers eventually went oom because of the massive damage we were taking.

I still need upgrades from kara, but I was under the impression that the Bear was the most gear intensive fight, and I tanked him no problem.
Doloth

Postby Invisusira » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:19 pm

Bear is just the tank check at the start of the instance, Lynx is harder on us than him. =)

I honestly don't know how often he does it; as long as you guys are RIGHT on top of each other you should never get hit by the full thing and, more likely than not, you won't even notice it!
Invisusira

Postby Lynk » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:44 pm

No idea if it was fixed yet, as I haven't been to ZA it's first week, but if the 2nd tank parried or dodged the saber lash, the main tank took the whole blow. Make sure the 2nd tank has his back turned in p1, while there's no Lynx up.
Lynk

Postby Invisusira » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:55 pm

I heard about that too, Lynk, but I wonder if it was just the tanks not standing close enough. My OT is a bear (lots o dodge), and once we were properly positioned I never once took an entire Lash.
Invisusira

Next

Return to Zul'aman