Remove Advertisements

[Feral Druid - PvE] How close are the two specs ?

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Feral Druid - PvE] How close are the two specs ?

Postby sherck » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:12 am

While I am going to take my Druid as a healers formost when I hit level 80, I have decided to take my 2nd spec Feral in order to level more effectively.

I am also going to level Feral until 40 because I know I can heal effectively with BoA and keeping my gear up to date. I don't know if I can tank effectively without talents at low levels.

That being said, how close are the Feral specs at 80 from bear to cat? Can you pretty much make an effective raid DPSer out of a Bear with a switch of gear/glyphs only? Or are the talent specs significantly different at 80.

I have not gone down the tree, but in most spec trees, there are not typically enough talents to really be able to make two completely different talent builds out of the same tree.

Of course, no other spec tries to do two completely different jobs within the same tree (perhaps a DK tree does. I am not familiar).

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
sherck

Re: [Feral Druid - PvE] How close are the two specs ?

Postby Brute » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:55 am

There's a significant number of points that are different, but there will be a long time while leveling that it won't matter if you're cat focused or bear focused to be adequate at both. You could probably get all the way through BC content without anyone complaining, but I would definately try to build different gear sets, each based around a kitty/bear's favorite stats. Ex: gear of the Tiger/bandit/soldier is nice for kitty but you should go something w/ more stam or only stam for bear.

I'm leveling someone now and really all I ask out of party members is that they're adequate, know how to use what they've got, and don't do anything stupid. Like spec full balance and go cat form to dps... wtf?
Brute

Postby blakk » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:23 am

One thing low in the spec that you will want as a bear but not kitty is predatory instincts. Increases stealth and increases swipe damage by 30%. Cats don't get swipe until 70's and bears use it all the time. Even single target.
blakk

Postby bldavis » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:38 am

blakk wrote:One thing low in the spec that you will want as a bear but not kitty is predatory instincts. Increases stealth and increases swipe damage by 30%. Cats don't get swipe until 70's and bears use it all the time. Even single target.

Predatory Instincts
?????

and why would you not want something that increases stealth in kitty form? its just a nice lil boost if you dont want 3 hrs of pulls just to get something you can stealth to and have 4 pulls.

edit went back over the talents and the one your thinking of is Feral Instinct

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby blakk » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:58 am

I don't have problems sneaking around in a dungeon and I don't quest. And yeah I get all the talents mixed up
blakk

Postby bldavis » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:59 pm

blakk wrote:I don't have problems sneaking around in a dungeon and I don't quest. And yeah I get all the talents mixed up

if you dont quest and you have no problems prowling around a dungeon, AND you dont tank then dont get it! :twisted:

otherwhise, i would get it, and in fact have (mostly cause im going tank/dps in one spec while leveling)

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby amh » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:16 am

sherck wrote:That being said, how close are the Feral specs at 80 from bear to cat? Can you pretty much make an effective raid DPSer out of a Bear with a switch of gear/glyphs only? Or are the talent specs significantly different at 80.

As long as you swap glyphs, it isn't all that bad. Your bear-spec won't have Shredding Attacks, so when you want to dps without respeccing, you won't be able to shred, thus missing out on Glyph of Shred. Neither will it have King of the Jungle, but it isn't quite as vital when you aren't shredding anyway.

A normal set of cat-glyphs would look like this: Shred, Rip, Savage Roar. I suggest you use Rip + Savage Roar, and replace Shred with the newly changed Glyph of Mangle.

Depending on your raid composition, you may or may not have Feral Aggression as a bear. This will obviously affect your cat-dps.

You'll do a few thousand less dps than you would with a pure cat-spec, but it works.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby sherck » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:19 am

amh wrote:
sherck wrote:That being said, how close are the Feral specs at 80 from bear to cat? Can you pretty much make an effective raid DPSer out of a Bear with a switch of gear/glyphs only? Or are the talent specs significantly different at 80.

As long as you swap glyphs, it isn't all that bad. Your bear-spec won't have Shredding Attacks, so when you want to dps without respeccing, you won't be able to shred, thus missing out on Glyph of Shred. Neither will it have King of the Jungle, but it isn't quite as vital when you aren't shredding anyway.

A normal set of cat-glyphs would look like this: Shred, Rip, Savage Roar. I suggest you use Rip + Savage Roar, and replace Shred with the newly changed Glyph of Mangle.

Depending on your raid composition, you may or may not have Feral Aggression as a bear. This will obviously affect your cat-dps.

You'll do a few thousand less dps than you would with a pure cat-spec, but it works.

Thanks to all the answers in the thread but thank you very much, amh. This was exactly what I wanted to know.

DPS will be my 3rd "role" in a raid with healing and tanking being my primary two. But it will be a nice change from my other classes that I could still drop to Cat form, change gear, reglyph and still do enough DPS that no one is going to laugh.

Anyway, thanks for all the answers.

Cheers,
sherck

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes