Remove Advertisements

Threat problem, please help!

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Threat problem, please help!

Postby Ailiya » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:49 pm

Hi Folks,

Ive posted here a few times and I was always met with great advice so I would like to pick your brains again. Also as a pretense, if I have posted this in the wrong place forgive me.

Just a bit of background, going into Icc 10/25 I was greatly ahead of the curve as far as threat goes. I was in Toc 25 heroic gear and trash/bosses for the most part were never an issue as far as sticking to me. Even to the point where a judgment would pull aggro of another tank. Things are a bit different now. I seem to be trailing on the aggro table quite a bit and warlocks seem to be the majority of the problem.

A few examples would be Lady Deathwhisper 25 HM, Yogg 0, Gunship 25 HM. The issue as best as I can explain is this; We will use Lady Deathwhisper for example. An adept spawns (alcove) and from my position (stage) I am able to cast either Hand + Judgement or Hand and Shield and move myself into position with mob in tow. Often times by the time I turn around and get mob faced correctly... boom warlock has jacked aggro. Similar situation say for yogg 0, keepers spawn, Hand + Avengers, move to the center... add is gone.

Was there a nerf to pally threat I missed? Is the gear I am in just not cutting it? Is this an issue elsewhere where the warlocks are more concerned with topping meters to make up for small equipment and family abuse as a child IRL (sorry to be harsh but I take a ton of crap over vent so I know the power trip helps them feel big.)?

My character sheet is here : http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &cn=Ailiya. Our log reports for last week are listed here: http://worldoflogs.com/guilds/26979/.

Any advice, help or sympathy (lol) would be greatly appreciated. And if there is further info necessary let me know. Thanks for your time and consideration.
Ailiya
Maintankadonor

Re: Threat problem, please help!

Postby theckhd » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:19 pm

Taunt + Avenger's Shield is only going to generate so much aggro. The time you spend waiting & line-of-sighting is pretty considerable, and it won't take much for a DPS to tear a mob off of you.

So there are two answers here: There's not much you can do with your spec or gearing to fix that - the fundamental problem is that you're putting out about 6-10k damage and waiting 5-10 seconds, while a DPS player is putting out ~8k damage per second.

However, you can adjust your play style. For example, if you charge out to the Adept and tank it off of the platform, you'll have enough face time that threat will be trivial. Or you can arrange for a DPS player to silence it, forcing it to come to the platform, and save your taunt for when it's closed the distance.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Ailiya » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:16 pm

Thanks Theckd for responding, first I need to apologize the mob I was tanking was the adherent for 25 hard mode. We got the kill a little while ago (before I saw the reply). I did change one thing, I used Last Word and replaced scarab with ... *gulp* Pyrite Infuser. Definitely helped with aggro quite a bit as I was able to cruise up in threat like mad, thou I am noticing that my threat gen is still a lil low on trash but we are tanking with a warrior and druid. Does my hit % displayed on my character bar include my racial (sorry for asking a nub question).
Ailiya
Maintankadonor

Postby chinoquezada » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:07 pm

Ailiya wrote:Thanks Theckd for responding, first I need to apologize the mob I was tanking was the adherent for 25 hard mode. We got the kill a little while ago (before I saw the reply). I did change one thing, I used Last Word and replaced scarab with ... *gulp* Pyrite Infuser. Definitely helped with aggro quite a bit as I was able to cruise up in threat like mad, thou I am noticing that my threat gen is still a lil low on trash but we are tanking with a warrior and druid. Does my hit % displayed on my character bar include my racial (sorry for asking a nub question).

It doesn't include racial.

Adherents are generally left for melee to pseudo-tank as the damage they do is laughable even in heroic. Fanatics are the important ones.
chinoquezada

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations