Tanking build I saw on a MT paladin in a big guild.

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Re: Tanking build I saw on a MT paladin in a big guild.

Postby cds4850 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:56 am

fuzzygeek wrote:The best thing to do is to ask that guy why he did what he did. Speculation on the forums tends to be as productive as chatter about what bag Celebrity A was seen carrying around that morning.

Yeah, but did you see that bag? I mean... oh.mah.gawd.
cds4850

Postby Shoju » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:25 am

I sent him another message, I don't have very high hopes about getting any information out of him though. I sent a message a while back asking if he could do a post on their forums explaining his tanking choices (since his build was different than 'norm' then as well) and didn't even get a 'no' in response. In fact, I'm still waiting on a response from that.
Shoju

Postby chinoquezada » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:35 pm

Explanation:

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ ... =viewtopic

Quote from the link.
-You will need several raid-wide defensive cooldowns to rotate for Infest.
Specifically, this means you need enough Aura Masteries and Divine Sacs in the raid to have at least one for every infest. If you don't, people will die to infest. It simply hits that hard on heroic. Another advantage of bringing 5 paladins in your raid comp is that you have 5 shadow aura masteries and 3 dsacs. That's pretty amazingly helpful for getting past infest with basically only a holy priest, a disc priest, and a resto shaman able to heal it.
chinoquezada

Postby Fenrìr » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:20 am

Why would you need to contact anyone in Ensidia to ask why they spec this? This is a LK heroic build plain and simple. I use something similar to this and actually, I think it's what Paragon's tank uses too.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Kil%27jaeden&cn=Vanagandr

Reasonings are as follows:

Aura Mastery to help with Infest
Imp LoH as a quick CD during a soul reaper
Divinity to make healing myself a bit easier
Raid Wall for P3 when we're 'downstairs'
1/2 Imp HoJ to hit valk's

Threat is not an issue considering I have 3 rogues with Tricks of the Trade and 2 hunters for MD's just constantly rolling on me in P1. After that, DPS is too busy with other things to catch my threat.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:56 am

Fenrìr wrote:Why would you need to contact anyone in Ensidia to ask why they spec this? This is a LK heroic build plain and simple. I use something similar to this and actually, I think it's what Paragon's tank uses too.

Threat is not an issue considering I have 3 rogues with Tricks of the Trade and 2 hunters for MD's just constantly rolling on me in P1. After that, DPS is too busy with other things to catch my threat.

I'm not asking why they spec this, I'm asking questions about the spec, as I have never SEEN the LK fight on normal let alone heroic.
Shoju

Postby chinoquezada » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:23 am

Shoju wrote:I'm not asking why they spec this, I'm asking questions about the spec, as I have never SEEN the LK fight on normal let alone heroic.

Umm... ok.
Outside of LK25 HM (and maybe Sindragosa), this spec is utter crap. Any other questions?
chinoquezada

Postby Fenrìr » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:05 pm

Shoju wrote:
Fenrìr wrote:Why would you need to contact anyone in Ensidia to ask why they spec this? This is a LK heroic build plain and simple. I use something similar to this and actually, I think it's what Paragon's tank uses too.

I'm not asking why they spec this, I'm asking questions about the spec, as I have never SEEN the LK fight on normal let alone heroic.

It's a two fight spec in that offers a few extra CDs. Purely gimmick...nothing else. Stick with your standard 0/53/18 and you're fine.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby kysu » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:46 pm

Shoju wrote:

The reason he is spec'ing that is for the cooldowns for infest and hammer for valk's ,divinity for the healing that is it. Threat is non issue
For normal LK stay with your normal spec

Edit:
http://www.wowhead.com/talent#sVVzZe0tAduMusIzfdxo
^ that is what I would do
kysu

Postby Fenrìr » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:35 pm

The reason I chose the Imp LoH is during a phase transition I can hit it on myself and I require a little less attention for the raid to stabilize.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby Kihra » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:16 pm

What I find curious about this talent spec is the loss of Vindication. We know that Paragon killed LK using a Prot Paladin (Lazeil) and a Feral Druid. I would assume that Lazeil was tanking the horrors, since he has much more capable stuns to prevent gibs from Enraged horrors (you can't wait for a tranq, since it's a 1-shot if the Enraged horror swings even once).

I'd assume Imp LoH is nice because it can be used as an extra cooldown on the other tank during a Soul Reaper, etc, and that Aura Mastery is nice because it helps with Infests (or with a portion of Soul Reaper).

I'm still scratching my head regarding the loss of Vindication though. It would only matter in P1, but it seems like a big deal. If Lazeil was tanking LK in P1, then a ret could supply Vindication, and the druid could tank the horrors and Demo Roar them... but it seems like the druid would have trouble avoiding Enrage insta-gibs. Maybe their answer to that is cooldowns though rather than stuns.
Kihra

Postby Fenrìr » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:04 pm

AP reduction is covered by my warrior tank who stands within 15 yards of LK in P1. Easily capable of keeping Demoralizing Roar on the LK.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby Kihra » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:16 pm

Fenrìr wrote:AP reduction is covered by my warrior tank who stands within 15 yards of LK in P1. Easily capable of keeping Demoralizing Roar on the LK.

Isn't Demo Shout/Roar just 10 yards? I admittedly have only done a few pulls of Heroic LK on 25, but it seems like it would be tricky to maintain that distance.

I'm guessing Paragon put Lazeil on the boss along with a Vindication-spec Ret paladin:

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-talen ... gn=Paragon

His 2nd spec is obviously his LK spec, and he has Vindication.

So they probably put the feral druid on the horrors. That would allow for a > 10 yard separation at times (e.g., because of Shadow Traps) without worrying about the loss of the AP debuff.
Kihra

Postby Fenrìr » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:32 pm

With booming voice, it extends out another 5 yards. And that could be true with the ret paladin. It's really just a p1 concern anyway.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby Treck » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:30 am

chinoquezada wrote:Outside of LK25 HM (and maybe Sindragosa), this spec is utter crap. Any other questions?

Actually, compared to a "normal" build, your loosing some movement speed, and some insignificant threat, and your raid is gaining another AM.
AM is a really strong CD on many fights, and im using this specc for every fight atm.
Retri pallys will do the nessesary vindication, if not warriors/druids, with minimal loss.
Most other fights are easy enough to handle without the "optimal" specc. But adding another AM into your raids defensive CDs, greatly outweighs some movementspeed/threat loss.
Untill content that require strict specific fights to beat, ill prolly stay with thisone as long as i can. (imp hammer can be skipped after LK ofc, and LoH is not a CD for you, its for someone else (co tank for example)
Treck

Postby Boyfriend » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:07 am

Kihra wrote:
Fenrìr wrote:AP reduction is covered by my warrior tank who stands within 15 yards of LK in P1. Easily capable of keeping Demoralizing Roar on the LK.

Isn't Demo Shout/Roar just 10 yards? I admittedly have only done a few pulls of Heroic LK on 25, but it seems like it would be tricky to maintain that distance.

I'm guessing Paragon put Lazeil on the boss along with a Vindication-spec Ret paladin:

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-talen ... gn=Paragon

His 2nd spec is obviously his LK spec, and he has Vindication.

So they probably put the feral druid on the horrors. That would allow for a > 10 yard separation at times (e.g., because of Shadow Traps) without worrying about the loss of the AP debuff.

Lazeil was on the horrors, a feral druids lack of stuns makes it practically impossible for him to tank horrors (also no AD for that 1 enrage hit that goes through).

Losing AP debuff on horrors is bad, but not such a big deal; dps warriors can put it up.
Non-Enraged/Frenzied horrors don't hit hard enough to REALLY need -AP.
Enraged Horrors 1 shot you anyway if they get to hit you.
Frenzied Horrors are basically only tanked with cooldowns or stunned/kited.
A paladin without AP debuff would be a better tank for horrors than a feral druid with, in any case the feral druid tanking boss can debuff horrors when they spawn usually, or a dps warr/feral can do it.
Boyfriend
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Basic Training & Talents