Remove Advertisements

Quickly targeting newly spawned adds

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Quickly targeting newly spawned adds

Postby Steve » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:54 pm

What methods are there for quickly targeting newly spawned adds?

The following I know of are:

1. Tab. Good ol' tab! Yes you can laugh, but there are plenty of situations just hammering the tab key (e.g. Jaraxxus) will do just fine picking up a newly spawned add. This obviously fails in situations where there are already adds up (e.g. Thorim arena) or where you can't be sure you will be facing the direction the add will spawn.

2. Specific macro /target <target_name>. This works great when you know the specific name of the target you want to pick up (e.g. Thorim arena type situations), but won't work well in situations where you might need to pick up a newly spawned add of the same name as an add you are already tanking. Is there a way to create a macro that will cycle through all targets that match the name?

3. V-Key + clicking on nameplates. This works well sometimes but takes quite a bit longer (in tank time, 1 second can be an eternity) to acquire the target versus these other methods, especially if you are already tanking a large number of adds. And often there are situations where you either won't be skilled enough or have enough time to manage this without bad things happening.

What other ways are there you guys have found to work well for quickly targeting adds?
Steve

Re: Quickly targeting newly spawned adds

Postby Boyfriend » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:12 am

Consecrate on the spawnpoint. This generates very weak aggro, but if noone is dps it's enough; I use this to pick up all 3 adds on DW faster by dropping some puffy cloud about 3 seconds before they spawn in one alcove.

If you are tanking 2 or less adds, you can move them to the spawnpoint of the new add and cast HotR after it spawns, if you do it right/use seal of cleave this will generate enough burst threat that you probably don't even have to target it. Make sure your HotR hit 3 targets though.
Boyfriend
Maintankadonor

Postby Meloree » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:43 am

Steve wrote:3. V-Key + clicking on nameplates. This works well sometimes but takes quite a bit longer (in tank time, 1 second can be an eternity) to acquire the target versus these other methods, especially if you are already tanking a large number of adds. And often there are situations where you either won't be skilled enough or have enough time to manage this without bad things happening.

What other ways are there you guys have found to work well for quickly targeting adds?

Generally speaking, method number 3 is the winner. If you need practice, try tanking a heroic with some hyperaggressive ranged DPS - possibly without RF if they're not ripping agro often enough. Or with Seal of Wisdom up... or some other way to significantly reduce your threat output. Proceed to learn how to quickly identify, target, and re-establish control of targets with nothing but nameplates - a mod like Aloft or Tidyplates is your friend here.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Koatanga » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:47 am

Consecrate is good - keep in mind if you get initial aggro, people have to beat you by 30% (past 8 yards), so even a weak pickup is better than nothing.

I have a gaming mouse with extra buttons, one of which is mapped to HoR, so I can mouseover-taunt. That's the way that works best for me. In some cases is is quite important to click on the mob first to make sure I am grabbing him, not Anub's HUGE MASSIVE GRAPHIC THAT OBSCURES ALL ELSE <sigh>.

As for V-clicking, get TidyPlates. Not only can you see what mobs are on you, but you can also set the plates to be non-overlapping. That makes it hugely easier to pick up mobs out of a pack.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Playdoh » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:23 am

Meloree wrote:
Steve wrote:3. V-Key + clicking on nameplates. This works well sometimes but takes quite a bit longer (in tank time, 1 second can be an eternity) to acquire the target versus these other methods, especially if you are already tanking a large number of adds. And often there are situations where you either won't be skilled enough or have enough time to manage this without bad things happening.

Generally speaking, method number 3 is the winner. If you need practice, try tanking a heroic with some hyperaggressive ranged DPS - possibly without RF if they're not ripping agro often enough. Or with Seal of Wisdom up... or some other way to significantly reduce your threat output. Proceed to learn how to quickly identify, target, and re-establish control of targets with nothing but nameplates - a mod like Aloft or Tidyplates is your friend here.

Thing is with method #3, you can actually click on the target before it becomes active. So instead of being the 1 second down time, it's faster than tab, because tab target waits until the mob is active before it will select it. Lazy target macro's can cause more problems than what they are worth, and adds will spawn with the same name so it's unreliable unless there is one and only 1 of that target.

I.E. Little oozes, big oozes, adds on lich king, bosses in VH, adds in Occulus, H HOR, basically all add spawns have a spawn timer where you can click on them before you can tab to them.
Playdoh
Maintankadonor

Postby Wrathy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:48 am

I agree that the V key and having enemy faceplates up is by far the best method for this. There are situations where it makes it harder, however it is something that you have to get used to. Especially now that the faceplates stack, you can easily see if one is getting away from you by the plate's deviation from the pack. You can also easily target them from farther away by clicking on the face plate (see anub'arak and the horribly huge hit box problem).
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby Arcand » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:25 am

Wrathy wrote:Especially now that the faceplates stack...

I didn't realize it for the first couple days after the change, but there's an option in
the interface controls to disable stacking so the nameplates behave like they used to.
Arcand

Postby chinoquezada » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:31 pm

Arcand wrote:
Wrathy wrote:Especially now that the faceplates stack...

I didn't realize it for the first couple days after the change, but there's an option in
the interface controls to disable stacking so the nameplates behave like they used to.

True, you can turn them off, but why would you?
The old nameplates only showed health, cast, and aggro (with addons).
The new nameplates also show relative positioning accurately.
chinoquezada

Postby Arcand » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:21 pm

chinoquezada wrote:True, you can turn them off, but why would you?
The old nameplates only showed health, cast, and aggro (with addons).
The new nameplates also show relative positioning accurately.

In an AoE situation, I don't care all that much about the plates giving me position data - but I do want them to be useful for target selection so I can find the new add, or the guy highest on health that I'm afraid might break off me.
Arcand

Postby Steve » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:24 pm

In my experience, both overlapping and non-overlapping nameplates have issues.

The problem with overlapping nameplates is it can be trickier to pick out the nameplate you want in a crowd of nameplates. I suppose that's where the relative nameplate size of Tidyplates can come n handy. The problem with non-overlapping nameplates is that the nameplate for a newly spawned add can jump around the screen until it settles on where it wants to be. I've had it move back and forth across my screen multiple times in the span of 1 second, making it somewhat difficult to actually click on the nameplate to select the target.

I suppose you just need to pick the method that works least problematically for the situation you're in.
Steve

Postby Arcand » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:35 am

Steve wrote:The problem with non-overlapping nameplates is that the nameplate for a newly spawned add can jump around the screen until it settles on where it wants to be. I've had it move back and forth across my screen multiple times in the span of 1 second, making it somewhat difficult to actually click on the nameplate to select the target.

If the new add is coming from the perimeter of the room and trucking toward your healer it's not too bad - in that case I forget about the nameplate and actually swing the camera around so I can click directly on the bad guy.

If it's something that pops up in the middle of the AoE clusterfuck though, then yes, that can get a little challenging. :)

(In the fairly common case where the newly-spawned add is some kind of undead or demon, I'll save Holy Wrath for when it appears...gives me a little extra time to assert my authoritai.)
Arcand

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:33 am

Tidyplates with the tank skin is quite nice in that it'll shrink the plates of things targeting you, and make things NOT targeting you ginormous. This is a little tricky when multi-tanking things, which is why I still use MTlove, which will show the target on mouseover.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Koatanga » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:03 pm

You can also set the alpha of the plates so that the ones under your control are more transparent than the ones that aren't. I find this very handy for larger groups of trash, because the things I need to pick up stand out bright against a sea of dim plates.

Once I have something, I really don't care much about its nameplate, so I don't mind that the ones facing me are dimmer.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Arcand » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Koatanga wrote:You can also set the alpha of the plates so that the ones under your control are more transparent than the ones that aren't.

That's a feature of Tidyplates, or...? Whatever does that, I want it.
Arcand

Postby Meloree » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:02 am

fuzzygeek wrote:Tidyplates with the tank skin is quite nice in that it'll shrink the plates of things targeting you, and make things NOT targeting you ginormous. This is a little tricky when multi-tanking things, which is why I still use MTlove, which will show the target on mouseover.

Plus, it lets you know when it's a warlock. Safest bet is to just let them die.

Without regular deaths, Warlocks get uppity.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to Basic Training & Talents